Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
About Web of Trust

The WOT add-on shows you which websites you can trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the web. With the WOT add-on, you can see the website's reputation based on other users' experiences and carefully chosen trusted sources, such as phishing and spam blacklists. You can also rate websites yourself based on your own experiences. The WOT add-on can be installed in the Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera and Safari Internet browsers.

Link

The criteria for rating websites

User ratings are the foundation of Web of Trust. All WOT reputation ratings are based on ratings from our massive community. Everyone who has installed the add-on is allowed to rate and we encourage you to do so. You do not need to be an IT professional in order to rate websites. All we ask if for you to share your experiences from the websites you already know. Being able to learn from other people's experiences is the whole reason for the WOT service.

We ask you to rate websites according to your own personal experience and knowledge while keeping in mind the instructions below:

Rate only websites that you know and have visited
You can rate a website only in the components that are valid and leave the other components unrated
If you feel that a WOT rating for a site is incorrect, please provide your own rating
If you use a site that does not have enough evidence for calculating the rating - indicated by the symbol - please give your own rating
In addition to rating, you can leave a comment explaining your rating/experience for other WOT users

You can rate websites in four rating components:

Trustworthiness reflects the overall trustworthiness of a website: Do you consider this site safe to use? Does this site deliver you what it promises? Do you trust the content of the website? A poor rating may indicate Internet scams, identity theft risks, credit card fraud, phishing, viruses, adware or spyware. The site may contain annoying advertisements, excessive pop-ups or content that makes your browser crash. A poor rating may also indicate that the site's content is not trustworthy.

Vendor Reliability tells you whether the site is safe for buying and selling or for business transactions in general. An “excellent” rating indicates superior customer service, timely delivery of products or services and overall customer satisfaction. A "poor" rating indicates possible fraud or a bad shopping experience.

Privacy tells you whether the site has a privacy policy that protects your personal identity and data. For example, does the social networking service you use give you the means to determine what is public and what remains private? Does the site have opt-in privacy options? A "poor" rating indicates concern that your data may be sold to 3rd parties, be stored indefinitely or be turned over to law enforcement without a warrant, etc.

Child safety indicates if the site contains age-inappropriate material. This includes mature content meant for adults: Content depicting nudity, sexual content, violence, vulgar or hateful language or content that encourages dangerous or illegal activities.

Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: WOT (Web of Trust)

Web of Trust cannot block sites depending on which web browser is in use. (ie. Chrome) due to limitations, so Firefox and IE have the upperhand in successfully blocking untrusted websites. Good review.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have been using WOT for almost 3 years now..And I'm very happy with its ratings... And while some users reported FP's , I for one never seen one.
Some could say that the users are its weakens but I do consider that the users are the best weapon against shady sites.
Sites like TopTenReviews deserve the yellow rating;)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I like the fact that WOT can be a bit paranoid about it's ratings. I can do some researching and see for myself if I trust it or not. WOT may have saved me whereas other siteadvisors wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Very usefull tool.

Good pros and cons james :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks, WOT is really useful, until now I'm using it without problems. For my Windows and Linux OS.

D

Deleted member 178

i dont use it anymore since i installed Dr Web Link Checker

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have it installed on my Firefox and have loved it. I think it is the best free web safety tool there is for a browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.