Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
You can see the hard drive I got for external backup at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3580092

I just want something that will do the job and not lend itself to overheating.

My prospective system:
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-3770K 3.5GHz 8MB QUAD CORE
INTEL COPPER HEAVY DUTY LGA 1150/1155/2011 COOLING FAN
OCZ/ARCTIC Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound
PROFESSIONAL WIRING W/ROUND CABLES
Asus P8B75-V LGA1155/ Intel B75/ SATA3&USB3.0 ATX Motherboard
16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Dual / Quad Channel (HIGH PERFORMANCE)
2x - COOLMAX MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS
HARD DRIVE SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
HARD DRIVE 2 SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW
INTEL HD 3000 1GB HDMI/DVI/VGA 1080p PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO (ONBOARD)
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
2x OKIA 80MM CASE COOLER
SEASONIC 620 WATT ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE POWER SUPPLY
Logitech Wired USB Keyboard
Logitech Wired USB Black 3 Buttons Optical Mouse
i-Micro 2.0 Channel Multimedia Speakers

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
For backing up my system. I will have plenty enough storage on the computer itself, with two 1 TB hard drives. I'm now planning to get a 250 GB Samsung EVO in addition and put my operating system and my autostart programs and browsers on it.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
For backing up my system. I will have plenty enough storage on the computer itself, with two 1 TB hard drives. I'm now planning to get a 250 GB Samsung EVO in addition and put my operating system and my autostart programs and browsers on it.
Hi ! sorry if I'm not understanding you. Why do you not use a USB supported external drive. I have all my back ups on a 1Tbseagate external HD. I don't need a docking station. I have a 500GB internal HD and I'm only using 50GB's
IMG_356639.jpg

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I posted on a good number of computer forums about external hard drives. The strong consensus of respondents was that an external hard drive isn't as good as having an internal hard drive in an enclosure or docking station. So I went that route and got a WD Red on sale.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I posted on a good number of computer forums about external hard drives. The strong consensus of respondents was that an external hard drive isn't as good as having an internal hard drive in an enclosure or docking station. So I went that route and got a WD Red on sale.
I have no idea why it wouldn't be as good. My USB seagate has never let me down. I will let other MT members reply because I' really don't know???

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The techies told me external hard drives were more likely to give out. I'm no techie, so I can only listen to what others tell me. So that's why I got a WD Red.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
The techies told me external hard drives were more likely to give out. I'm no techie, so I can only listen to what others tell me. So that's why I got a WD Red.
Hi friend. I really don't know. I also listen to what others tell me.
Well, I do some times.:):):)
PS When I don't listen is when I usually get in big trouble.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.