Would you change your name for a free smartphone?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
A recent report from the Associated Press tells the story of 20-year-old Olexander Turin, a Ukrainian man that legally changed his name to iPhone Sim (sim is the number seven in Ukrainian) in order to enter a contest at a local electronics store.

The first five people to legally rename themselves after Apple’s current flagship would be given an iPhone 7 free of charge (imagine how irritating it would be to learn that you were the sixth person to do so).

Apple’s smartphone starts at around $850 in Ukraine but the cost of legally changing your name in the country is around $2.

Sim told the AP that he might revert back to his birth name when he has children. His sister, Tetyana Panina, said it was difficult to accept and hard to believe but added that each person in this world is looking for a way to express themselves. Why not do it in this way, she questioned.

This guy did, would you?

7H8U4ks.jpg

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
No way for me!o_O But you have to see things wider. Perhaps the guy's life is not easy, with war there and poverty. He just seized an opportunity to have something that he would perhaps never be able to buy. If it makes him happy and brings a little more positive things in his life, so be it.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Never....... I don't need this iphone 7. And I have money to buy it if I need it. For me it is affordable. Guys, never change your name for this sh..ty piece of plastic with electronic :) I read some news about Chinese guy who sold his kidney to have money for buying Iphone. This story happened some years ago.

By the way, someone voted ,, yes,,. I think Olexander Turin (a guy from photo above) is the member of MT too and he voted ,,yes,, :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Apple’s smartphone starts at around $850 in Ukraine but the cost of legally changing your name in the country is around $2.

Why not ?

$2 to change, hop a $850 smartphone => $2 to change back

=> I could offer it to a MT member, after he won at my ... signature game :oops: (;))

But I have to move to Ukraine ...

And more seriously, to be able to change your names in France, you must have very good arguments (advocate, judge, judgement...) : it is not very easy and some names are forbidden

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What a cruel contest :( Apparently he doesn't realize sim will be obsolete in about 5 months.
Maybe next year he can change his name to Idonthavea Visim
Maybe a name change such as Nothx Apple or Moneypit Sim might have been more appropriate
I can think of only one reason to change your name,aside from marriage,and that being your wanted in one or more countries.
Another depressing story about the iPhone.....I m going to go curl up in the fetal position in my closet for a while :D

:oops: I guess you know what my vote was

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.