WPMan Pro's Secure Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPMan Pro

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 5, 2017
then you must add virtualization software too
I will. I am kind of a first timer baby in this world. Thank you for your feedback.

Interesting config! should be good enough :) But if you got infected how? if it was via download add Avira browser safety, If not It you should try to get better settings or Voodooshield pro;)

Oh I missed Avira extension! I actually have it. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

WPMan Pro

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 5, 2017
A little over kill for my tastes, but you have basics covered. Personally I would either drop ZA or VS, both are not needed. Might I also suggest that testing malware on a live system is never a good idea, especially if you do not know what you are doing, try Virtualbox or Vmware.
I agree ZA or VS should be gone. Considering Virtualbox. Thank you!

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You can safely remove ZA, Appcheck and Kaspersky AR Tool from your setup, for optimal and well-covered protection.
With BIS+VDS, you already have a potent AV + Behavior Blocker (ATC) + AR + Lockdown and anything more such, will be redundant.
Bitdefender AR is quite aggressive, even with system apps, and you might need to add them multiple times to 'Trusted' list. Accompanied with VDS (VDS AI + Blacklist scan), you are spared of the need for Kasp AR Tool & Appcheck.
Don't forget to add your important folders to the Ransomware Protection List.
I was wondering that too. With configuration like yours, malware should't surpass. Thanks for clarifying.
Nice configuration although overkill. Thanks for sharing.
However strong and diverse an army the King has, the timings and the decisions taken at the time of warfare are critical to the end-result :rolleyes:

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Nice configuration! :)

My only suggestion and or opinion would be to remove everything except Bitdefender and VS.

Zemana you can keep as a second opinion and no need for a dedicated Anti-Ransom when you have VS.

Appcheck i would not even bother using.

Thanks for sharing.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Zemana you can keep as a second opinion and no need for a dedicated Anti-Ransom when you have VS.
Appcheck i would not even bother using.
Especially if it's the Appcheck free version installed. It is good, no doubt, but a standalone anti-RW with a limited scope ins't some jewel to an already strong security arsenal.

With the crazy amount of FPs the BD RW Protection presents, VDS is a saver (in case the user is habituated to ALLOWing apps blocked by RW protection) and would deliver trustable insight in most cases.

WPMan Pro

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 5, 2017
You can safely remove ZA, Appcheck and Kaspersky AR Tool from your setup, for optimal and well-covered protection.
With BIS+VDS, you already have a potent AV + Behavior Blocker (ATC) + AR + Lockdown and anything more such, will be redundant.
Bitdefender AR is quite aggressive, even with system apps, and you might need to add them multiple times to 'Trusted' list. Accompanied with VDS (VDS AI + Blacklist scan), you are spared of the need for Kasp AR Tool & Appcheck.
Don't forget to add your important folders to the Ransomware Protection List.

However strong and diverse an army the King has, the timings and the decisions taken at the time of warfare are critical to the end-result :rolleyes:

Because I feel like more safe with those.. I know it's a little crazy:D
And yes my bitdefender ATC setting is literally 'Aggressive'. Mine needs to go on a diet.
Thank you for your practical advice:)

WPMan Pro

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 5, 2017
You have Zemana as an on demand scanner.Use ZAL as an on demand scanner and remove Kaspersky Anti Ransom as well as AppCheck.
Never test malware on your host PC even if you are an expert.
Nevertheless you have a secure config. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Because I feel like more safe with those.. I know it's a little crazy:D
And yes my bitdefender ATC setting is literally 'Aggressive'. Mine needs to go on a diet.
Thank you for your practical advice:)
The issue with such overlapping configurations is that say, a ransomware gets executed in your system.
Two (or more of yours) security products will try to intercept the attack and lock the culprit process/payload for further processing.
However, one or both may fail, there can be a conflict between the two for getting hold of the malware and/or for the rollback of damage (eg. recovery of affected files, handling of remnants) and this will only deteriorate the effective protection. The self-protection module of one may affect the other when it tries to gain access to the malware.
There are other possible scenarios that you would not want to occur in the first place.

Though this won't be the case always and not all products are mutually incompatible in practice, it's better to eliminate any redundant or overlapping components for performance, security and stability.

Last edited:

WPMan Pro

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 5, 2017
The issue with such overlapping configurations is that say, a ransomware gets executed in your system.
The two anti-ransom products (BD RW protection & Kasp Anti-RW Tool, or even Checkmal Appcheck may dive in) will try to intercept the attack, lock the culprit process/payload for further processing. However, one or both may fail, there can be a conflict between the two for getting hold of the malware and/or for the rollback of damage (eg. recovery of affected files, cleaning of remnants) and this will only deteriorate the effective protection. The self-protection module of one may affect the other when it tries to gain access to the malware. There are other possible scenarios that you would not want to occur in the first place.
Though this won't be the case always, it's better to eliminate any redundant or overlapping components for performance, security and stability.

Wow I got more serious after read your comment and finally I understand what's going on.
I think I have to uninstall Kasp AR and Appcheck right now. Thank you again for great advice.

Reactions: Parsh
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.