WSA and others, Very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttomm46

Thread author
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I wanted to post this here instead of the Webroot thread because I need totally unbiased advice...Heck I've bought about every security product available...I currently use WSA complete 2014...Most reviews are mediocre at best except PC Mag for some reason..the video review here is bad even

They like it a lot on wilders..Webroot folks claim its only the way it's tested that gives bad reviews that it's actually among the best..

That's why i didn't post on webroot thread..the bad security channel review and others on youtube are somewhat scary.
Please help
Tom

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The product is only as good as the user behind the computer screen. No AV or Suite will provide complete protection because there are many factors that could compromise a PC.

Antivirus testing is unrealistic.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've tested it's detection against some malware packs from here and it did extremely well and against links/running the exe's

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
AV testing sites and review sites are all about $Money$, they could care less about providing any actual facts helpful to users, what they are paid to do is what they will do even if it evolves faking results to make their paid vendors happy.

So it is not important how any product does on AV testing sites or review sites what is important is how it works for you.

Just as Earth pointed out, no security products will be able to protect you from everything, depending on your actions is how any product can protect you. If you are reckless when browsing the web and downloading files no product can keep you safe.

If you always pay careful attention when browsing the web and only download files from trusted sources, know how to utilize UAC, then just about any of free products will be able to keep you safe.

Most malware is manually downloaded and executed by the user and they usually ignore UAC and Windows warning when running files with no digital certificates. Your actions will determine how any product can protect you.

Besides of your actions, if you use a security product that you are familiar with and know how to configure and use it properly that is very much important as well.

So if you are using a product that you fell comfortable with and know how to use it correctly, just ignore review and testing sites.

If you don't feel comfortable with your product and don't understand how to use it to its full potential then you might consider to change to another product that it easier for you.

Thanks. :D

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
not to make more confusion but here is a good read

The Holy Grail of AV Testing, and Why It Will Never Be Found
October 18, 2011
Eugene Kaspersky

http://eugene.kaspersky.com/2011/10/18/the-holy-grail-of-av-testing-and-why-it-will-never-be-found/

:)

James

ttomm46

Thread author
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Earth said:
The product is only as good as the user behind the computer screen. No AV or Suite will provide complete protection because there are many factors that could compromise a PC.

Antivirus testing is unrealistic.

Ok.thank you..i still have almost a full year of Bitdefender 2014 total Security...Just stick with WSA then?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you choices is only between BitDefender and WSA, I would recommend sticking with WSA because it is a much better product and has good support. I have a pretty low opinion of BitDefender products.

Enjoy!! :D

I'm Me

Verified
Sep 14, 2013
I use WSA and it's been doing well so far. When I first started using it, I was really nervous because it was cloud based and I'd read that if cloud based AV's went offline, then the user was left unprotected. But after using WSA for these past few months, I've been pretty happy. I am very careful about my downloads like Littlebits said and if I'm going to be visiting a high volume of websites that I'm unfamiliar with, sometimes I use Sandboxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.