- Jan 8, 2011
Read more: X, formerly Twitter, announces $1/year Not-a-Bot plan for new users
- X is starting to charge new users a fee of $1 to post on the platform.
- The new Not-a-Bot subscription is first going live in New Zealand and the Philippines.
- Existing X users won’t be affected by the new policy.
As of October 17th, 2023 we’ve started testing “Not A Bot”, a new subscription method for new users in two countries. This new test was developed to bolster our already significant efforts to reduce spam, manipulation of our platform and bot activity. This will evaluate a potentially powerful measure to help us combat bots and spammers on X, while balancing platform accessibility with the small fee amount. Within this test, existing users are not affected.
Here’s how this new test will work for new accounts on web in New Zealand and the Philippines:
Step One: Phone Verification
Step Two: Select Your Subscription Plan
- New accounts created on X, in these two countries, will first be required to verify their phone number.
- $1 USD Annual Fee (prices vary by country and currency). New users will be able to perform certain actions on the web version of the platform: post content, Like posts, Reply, Repost and Quote other accounts’ posts, Bookmark posts.
- X Premium
- Verified Organizations
New users who opt out of subscribing will only be able to take “read only” actions, such as: Read posts, Watch videos, and Follow accounts.
This new program aims to defend against bots and spammers who attempt to manipulate the platform and disrupt the experience of other X users. We look forward to sharing more about the results soon.
Note: Users who participate in the Not-A-Bot program are subject to the Not a Bot Terms and Conditions.
- New Zealand: $1.43 NZD per year
- Philippines: ₱42.51 PHP per year