Xbox 360 and Comodo Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Hi Guys, perhaps someone could help me here.
I have a wireless connection and when I try to connect my Xbox 360, it does not even connect to the network. I tried disabling the protection and I can connect just fine. I used to connect just fine before I had to do a clean restore of my OS.

I have manually added the IP in the Xbox and the DNS ips.

I have even reset the default Router settings to see if I messed up something but no luck.

Someone I know suggested it was Comodo Firewall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I have previously stealth ports via the 2nd option...

I have just found this Link and will give it a try tomorrow. Update 2: Tried and does not work...

Running out of options here now.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok I have found the issue.

While running CIS 5.5 no issues were reported between xbox 360 connectivity to my network, CIS 5.8 for some odd reason does affect it.

My Router is a Belkin N+ F5D8635-4v1 model. Firmware tested were both the default 1.00.17 and the latest one 1.00.23

With CIS installed (all default settings including no ports stealth), Xbox will connect to my wireless (Using either WEP or WPA). However the moment I restart the Xbox, I am unable to even connect to the network.

If I turn off the wireless protection, Xbox is able to connect without a problem.

I have tried to set to allow the ip of the xbox in the trusted zones settings and does not work. I have also manually configured the global rules, as well as stealth ports for a trusted zone with no luck.

Uninstalling CIS would not resolve the issue. I would have to reset the router and without CIS installed, my Xbox is able to connect once Router is re-configured.

Tested 6 times.

This means CIS firewall is affecting the Router.

I have also reported this issue in Comodo's forum here.

Thanks,

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I have no idea how CIS could be affecting your Xbox connect to your router, I don't think its even possible for CIS to do that. What happens with the Xbox when your PC is powered down???

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Try connecting directly wired to your modem, with your router unplugged completely and powered down from your network. Install CIS then plug your router back in.

P

Plexx

Thread author
After countless tries I can only assume it is either the drivers installed by comodo that affect the router or the comodo firewall settings that somehow affect the router.

By removing CIS and reconfigure the router, I am able to connect just fine with my Xbox.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
After countless tries I can only assume it is either the drivers installed by comodo that affect the router or the comodo firewall settings that somehow affect the router.

By removing CIS and reconfigure the router, I am able to connect just fine with my Xbox.

I will make a video today how to solve it.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Today, I decided to install CIS on my other pc... to my surprise, issue with Xbox still persists.

I have also asked a friend using a totally different router and connection and same results.

Does any user of CIS have a Xbox 360 who could try to see if there is a setting somewhere to not cause the issue I have had?

Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you using a Bridged Internet connection with your Xbox to PC?

I still wouldn't have a clue how CF is affecting your Xbox. Sorry.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Thing is I cant connect the xbox to the wireless network unless I unprotect it.

so far the modems used with updated firmware were a Belkin and a D-Link.

If only there was a way to have D+ on its own without the need to install the Firewall it would be awesome.

HIPS of ESET ain't bad but I was used to D+.

Guess I have no choice for now :(

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
biozfear said:
If only there was a way to have D+ on its own without the need to install the Firewall it would be awesome.

It is called Comodo AV... :D

Or just launch the uninstaller of CIS and remove only the firewall

P

Plexx

Thread author
Was D+ from the AV side? could swear it was from Firewall side.

Well time to fire up VMWare again.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
biozfear said:
Was D+ from the AV side? could swear it was from Firewall side.

Comodo's HIPS (D+) is part of CAV/CFW/CIS

Like many users you assimilate an HIPS to be a component of a firewall, that is wrong, but it is not your fault, many vendors like to mix these 2 modules together. It is true for Comodo, Emsisoft OA, etc...

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
biozfear said:
Does any user of CIS have a Xbox 360 who could try to see if there is a setting somewhere to not cause the issue I have had?

I've never had any problems getting my Xbox to connect to my network. Either using the modem/router from my ISP, or my Netgear wireless router.

My firewall is in Safe Mode, and I have stealth ports enabled.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Thanks HeffeD. I will try to do as the video said and the instructions on the Comodo forum again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.