Xbox Series X vs PS5. Anyone owns one or both?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have read some reviews and watched a number of YouTube videos on both.

However, I would like to hear directly from any user here who owns one or both for playing games and watching 4K UHD Blu-ray discs

A nice review is done in the video link below and also two of his previous videos on the same comparison. Also, comparative review done by Whatwifi

Thanks

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I got a PlayStation 5, usually I’d go XBOX first, but with gamepass on PC having all of their exclusives it seemed the most cost effective. I’ve always leaned towards Xbox and I missed the PS4 entirely. So I’ve been playing a lot of last generation games, either for cheap or free.

With that background, I’d recommend the Xbox Series X if you don’t have a gaming PC. It’s more powerful, has gamepass, and the process of making sure you’re digitally buying a game for the correct generation is managed better with Smart Delivery. I thought Smart Delivery was a gimmick until I tried to figure out if I was downloading a PS4 or PS5 version of a game and couldn’t tell. If you have a gaming PC, and can play gamepass games, then the PS5 may offer a coverage of games you don’t have access to from Microsoft.

Stock is improving slowly, but not much. I’ve seen more XBOXs than PS5s recently in my region. And they both have at least had some availability vs graphics cards not existing at all. Anyway, that’s my two cents on it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I got a PlayStation 5, usually I’d go XBOX first, but with gamepass on PC having all of their exclusives it seemed the most cost effective. I’ve always leaned towards Xbox and I missed the PS4 entirely. So I’ve been playing a lot of last generation games, either for cheap or free.

With that background, I’d recommend the Xbox Series X if you don’t have a gaming PC. It’s more powerful, has gamepass, and the process of making sure you’re digitally buying a game for the correct generation is managed better with Smart Delivery. I thought Smart Delivery was a gimmick until I tried to figure out if I was downloading a PS4 or PS5 version of a game and couldn’t tell. If you have a gaming PC, and can play gamepass games, then the PS5 may offer a coverage of games you don’t have access to from Microsoft.

Stock is improving slowly, but not much. I’ve seen more XBOXs than PS5s recently in my region. And they both have at least had some availability vs graphics cards not existing at all. Anyway, that’s my two cents on it.
From what I gather when you download a game it defaults to PS4. You need to go in manually to select PS5 version of the game to download.

I don't intend to get a gaming PC nor playing games on my laptop since the PS5/Xbox Series X can play games and come with a 4K UHD Blu-ray player built-in as well. Of course such a Blu-ray player cannot be compared to a standalone Blu-ray player in terms of features and picture quality. I'm banging on the superior 8K AI upscaling of the TV to do its job.

After my evaluation of the Xbox Series X vs PS5 I'm inclining towards the PS5 for my upcoming Samsung Neo QLED 65-inch 8K TV

The Xbox Series X has many advantages over the PS5 no doubt in areas like PC/android support, its Game Pass Ultimate, support for Dolby Atmos/Dolby Vision, Smart Delivery, Quick Resume, FPS Boost mode and Auto HDR features etc. For playing older games, best backward compatibility and cross-platform gaming at the highest possible settings then the Xbox Series X shines.

However, the more advanced USB 10Gbps ports, better 4K UHD Blu-ray disc player(player outputs 12bit YCBCR444 with better picture quality), comes with WiFi 6, better DualSense controller with its many features, has 3D audio Tempest which is available via its Pulse 3D wireless headphone for games and comes with 7.1-ch surround sound, a PS5 camera and the new PSVR2, exclusive game titles etc captured my attention. Its HDMI 2.1 port also has a higher output bandwidth (40Gbps) over the Xbox 32Gbps. Also, I noticed the Ray Tracing on the PS5 offers better picture quality over the Xbox Series X in one of the YouTube videos.

I have a few questions on the PS5 which I hope you can answer

1) Does it support the H.264 and H.265/HEVC video codecs? Or need a 3rd-party video converter to convert the H.264 and H.265 to PS supported video formats if I want to watch movies on the TV
2) How to playback recorded videos? The Samsung S21 Ultra handphone supports the recording of H.265 8K video and can playback (according to the Exynos 2100 CPU spec) at 60Hz. I would like to playback through the PS5. Is that possible through its USB ports which support 10Gbps? Is there an app in the UI to play videos in the first place?
2) The video link I posted above showed the game was played in 1440p@60Hz at 10:31. Can you confirm it supports the playing of 1440p games? I think the PS5 don't support 1440p OOB when launched. Was it due to a recent firmware update?
3) Does the HDMI 2.1 port supports ALLM/VRR? FI, the Xbox Series X's HDMI 2.1 port supports ALLM/VRR.
4) Do you know how's the reliability of the built-in 4K UHD Blu-ray player for both the PS5/Xbox say from previous models?

Thanks

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
From what I gather when you download a game it defaults to PS4. You need to go in manually to select PS5 version of the game to download.

I don't intend to get a gaming PC nor playing games on my laptop since the PS5/Xbox Series X can play games and come with a 4K UHD Blu-ray player built-in as well. Of course such a Blu-ray player cannot be compared to a standalone Blu-ray player in terms of features and picture quality. I'm banging on the superior 8K AI upscaling of the TV to do its job.

After my evaluation of the Xbox Series X vs PS5 I'm inclining towards the PS5 for my upcoming Samsung Neo QLED 65-inch 8K TV

The Xbox Series X has many advantages over the PS5 no doubt in areas like PC/android support, its Game Pass Ultimate, support for Dolby Atmos/Dolby Vision, Smart Delivery, Quick Resume, FPS Boost mode and Auto HDR features etc. For playing older games, best backward compatibility and cross-platform gaming at the highest possible settings then the Xbox Series X shines.

However, the more advanced USB 10Gbps ports, better 4K UHD Blu-ray disc player(player outputs 12bit YCBCR444 with better picture quality), comes with WiFi 6, better DualSense controller with its many features, has 3D audio Tempest which is available via its Pulse 3D wireless headphone for games and comes with 7.1-ch surround sound, a PS5 camera and the new PSVR2, exclusive game titles etc captured my attention. Its HDMI 2.1 port also has a higher output bandwidth (40Gbps) over the Xbox 32Gbps. Also, I noticed the Ray Tracing on the PS5 offers better picture quality over the Xbox Series X in one of the YouTube videos.

I have a few questions on the PS5 which I hope you can answer

1) Does it support the H.264 and H.265/HEVC video codecs? Or need a 3rd-party video converter to convert the H.264 and H.265 to PS supported video formats if I want to watch movies on the TV
2) How to playback recorded videos? The Samsung S21 Ultra handphone supports the recording of H.265 8K video and can playback (according to the Exynos 2100 CPU spec) at 60Hz. I would like to playback through the PS5. Is that possible through its USB ports which support 10Gbps? Is there an app in the UI to play videos in the first place?
2) The video link I posted above showed the game was played in 1440p@60Hz at 10:31. Can you confirm it supports the playing of 1440p games? I think the PS5 don't support 1440p OOB when launched. Was it due to a recent firmware update?
3) Does the HDMI 2.1 port supports ALLM/VRR? FI, the Xbox Series X's HDMI 2.1 port supports ALLM/VRR.
4) Do you know how's the reliability of the built-in 4K UHD Blu-ray player for both the PS5/Xbox say from previous models?

Thanks
1) supposedly the media player only supports H.264, but the hardware definitely can do H.265 because that’s what UHD Blu Rays are encoded in if I remember correctly. This is all anecdotal since I don’t use my gaming systems for media playing.
2) I think it still doesn’t support 1440p
3) the HDMI 2.1 supports VRR, but it wasn’t implemented at launch. I’m uncertain if a firmware has patched support in yet for the OS.
4) I have no idea for the blu ray since I have a digital edition. I prefer a stand alone blu ray player personally.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1) supposedly the media player only supports H.264, but the hardware definitely can do H.265 because that’s what UHD Blu Rays are encoded in if I remember correctly. This is all anecdotal since I don’t use my gaming systems for media playing.
2) I think it still doesn’t support 1440p
3) the HDMI 2.1 supports VRR, but it wasn’t implemented at launch. I’m uncertain if a firmware has patched support in yet for the OS.
4) I have no idea for the blu ray since I have a digital edition. I prefer a stand alone blu ray player personally.
Wondering how that guy in the video link above was able to play games in the PS5 at 1440p@60Hz starting from 9:57?

Anyway to playback recorded videos from a handphone/camera like directly from it using cable or need to copy the video clip out from the phone/cable into a USB stick and play through the PS5? Is there a video app for playback of recorded videos in the PS5 which allows you to select what format the video can be playback?

Thanks

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Wondering how that guy in the video link above was able to play games in the PS5 at 1440p@60Hz starting from 9:57?

Anyway to playback recorded videos from a handphone/camera like directly from it using cable or need to copy the video clip out from the phone/cable into a USB stick and play through the PS5? Is there a video app for playback of recorded videos in the PS5 which allows you to select what format the video can be playback?

Thanks
I’m not sure, how they did that. I have a 1440p 170hz monitor, but it’s not easily connected to my consoles. I can’t find any chatter online about the new firmware adding that yet.

I can poke around for the video app whenever I get a chance next. I don’t have any files to test it with, but if I find anything useful I’ll share.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.