Omnipotent Security Config

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Chrome Security Tweaks:
AppContainer Lockdown (Enabled)
PPAPI Win32k Lockdown (All Plugins)
Extension Content Verification (Enforce Strict)

Java, Flash, Silverlight: Uninstalled
Autorun/AutoPlay: Disabled

Last edited by a moderator:

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
Heyo, not sure if there's any conflict between AVAST and MBAM. Maybe consider removing one or the other and replace it with an anti-executable? Enable OS File Reputation, as it's a critical security component of Windows 10. Leave the rest for others, thanks for sharing. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good configuration out there. :)

But with two concerns.

1) Enable SmartScreen (OS Reputation) on Windows 10, it can save you for any unknown file for execution.
2) Have a practical backup, Flash drives for your files is fine but you need system image to revert any changes anytime in case of emergency.

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Heyo, not sure if there's any conflict between AVAST and MBAM. Maybe consider removing one or the other and replace it with an anti-executable? Enable OS File Reputation, as it's a critical security component of Windows 10. Leave the rest for others, thanks for sharing. ;)
Yes, you should supplement your anti-virus with an anti-malware program for maximum protection.

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Good configuration out there. :)

But with two concerns.

1) Enable SmartScreen (OS Reputation) on Windows 10, it can save you for any unknown file for execution.
2) Have a practical backup, Flash drives for your files is fine but you need system image to revert any changes anytime in case of emergency.
I disabled SmartScreen a few months ago when i upgraded to Windows 10 because i read a few articles of how to increase your privacy in Windows 10 and saw that SmartScreen was sending microsoft 'anonymized' data of what programs you were running/downloaded and also didn't really find it useful since i have an anti-virus.

O

Omnipotent

Thread author
Oh dear... you really want to threaten the integrity of your system over privacy issues? :rolleyes:
I will re-enable smartscreen, as for anti-executable i haven't done much research on this type of protection. However i have come across a program called Faronic Deep Freeze which i'm quite interested in, correct me if im wrong if this isn't an anti-executable program.

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
I will re-enable smartscreen, as for anti-executable i haven't done much research on this type of protection. However i have come across a program called Faronic Deep Freeze which i'm quite interested in, correct me if im wrong if this isn't an anti-executable program.

As jamescv7 rightly recommended, do consider keeping smartscreen. If you end up disabling it anyway for whatever reason, an anti-executable is a good safenet. Faronics is considered an anti-executable, but I would recommend you looking into APPGUARD, following the beta of ReHIPS, or if you want a free, decent alternative, NVT Exe Radar Pro has a free version.

Last edited:

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
@xCharbz: Well you cannot rely prevent Privacy for WIndows 10 because it works already deep in the system.

Just think of it that collection of information, will benefit for own good through improvement services.

^^^^ This. I have no problem with people deleting bloat, but if people don't think MS doesn't have hidden processes that still send out data, you're in denial. Ultimately, as James said, more noble stuff comes out of it than negative.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.