N/A
About WiFi router
idk bruh
Real-time security
Kaspersky Premium
Firewall security
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
About custom security
Default Deny Intrusion Prevention - Restrictions on trusted applications that are not system based. Blocked tampering of Kaspersky.
Periodic malware scanners
NPE, Emisoft.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Ublock Origin, Kaspersky Password Manager.
Secure DNS
N/A
Desktop VPN
Kaspersky VPN
Password manager
Kaspersky Password Manager
File and Photo backup
N/A
System recovery
EaseUS Todo Backup
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading software and files from unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Coding and development
    • Downloading malware samples
Computer specs
Corsair Vengeance i8200 - RTX 4090, i9-14900k, 64gb RAM, 4TB SSD.
Notable changes
Changed Checkpoint to Kaspersky Premium
Default Deny setup with Kaspersky, Hardened Intrusion Prevention for Trusted Applications (Cannot Tamper with Kaspersky)
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
  • Something that is always recommended is to have UAC: Always Notify.
  • I would say replace Emisoft with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. (NPE and KVRT are the best)
  • For password manager move to a third party one not connected to an AV vendor such as Bitwarden or 1Password. (It's a hussle when you move to a new AV product and tranfer all your passwords.)

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
  • Something that is always recommended is to have UAC: Always Notify.
  • I would say replace Emisoft with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. (NPE and KVRT are the best)
  • For password manager move to a third party one not connected to an AV vendor such as Bitwarden or 1Password. (It's a hussle when you move to a new AV product and tranfer all your passwords.)
Going to switch back to Kaspersky afterwards, there is no need for KVRT if I have kaspersky lol. Checkpoint also uses Kaspersky's engine.

Once Kaspersky ends I also plan on moving to Bitwarden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Can you check your Windows UAC settings?

If you are unable to upgrade to Windows 11, at the bare minimum are you running Windows 10 version 22H2?
Have latest windows 10. Dont like windows 11 cause I cant move taskbar to the top of the screen.

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Given the fact that you surf and download files from unknown and shady websites, and the huge deal that you download malware samples for testing, you may be at risk.
  • You shouldn't be switching antiviruses like you are (I have this one, then going to this one, when trial ends going back to other one). You should stick to one solid solution for your security and your system's stability.
  • You should define ASAP a system recovery solution and a file backup solution. Your surfing habits tend to infect machines, therefore you should be prepared for the worst.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Given the fact that you surf and download files from unknown and shady websites, and the huge deal that you download malware samples for testing, you may be at risk.
  • You shouldn't be switching antiviruses like you are (I have this one, then going to this one, when trial ends going back to other one). You should stick to one solid solution for your security and your system's stability.
  • You should define ASAP a system recovery solution and a file backup solution. Your surfing habits tend to infect machines, therefore you should be prepared for the worst.
I dont engage in malware testing - I just like get a file and put it into sandboxes if someone suspects something as being infected.
Also I do plan on sticking to one solution once the trial ends, its Kaspersky for like 8 months then something else once that ends.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I used to avoid system backups for years, but you would not believe how useful it can be, especially when you are out of time.
I can reinstall Windows plus install everything within 2 hours, but it will not beat 1 min system restore, when really really needed.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
I used to avoid system backups for years, but you would not believe how useful it can be, especially when you are out of time.
I can reinstall Windows plus install everything within 2 hours, but it will not beat 1 min system restore, when really needed.
How do you create restore points?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
EaseUS Todo Backup Free, but the smaller the system partition is, the better. You should keep the system partition separate from your data, keep data backed up using a cloud service.

Attachments

• capture_07142023_212530.jpg
    capture_07142023_212530.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 88
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

EaseUS Todo Backup Free, but the smaller the system partition is, the better. You should keep the system partition separate from your data, keep data backed up using a cloud service.
You should try the Hasleo Backup Suite. I started using it recently, and I posted about it on the HBS thread.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Added SWH (Default Settings)
Changed Checkpoint Harmony to Kaspersky Premium
Kaspersky Setup - Default Deny, Isolated Browsers, Non System Applications cannot tamper with Kaspersky (Intrusion Prevention)
File AV set to scan all files with deep heuristics.
UAC Set to "Always Notify"
Added System Restore/Backup Software
Also I am now starting to use Intellix and Kaspersky Opentip apon recieving files that arent trusted by Intrusion Prevention.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Added SWH (Default Settings)
Changed Checkpoint Harmony to Kaspersky Premium
Kaspersky Setup - Default Deny, Isolated Browsers, Non System Applications cannot tamper with Kaspersky (Intrusion Prevention)
File AV set to scan all files with deep heuristics.
UAC Set to "Always Notify"
Added System Restore/Backup Software
Also I am now starting to use Intellix and Kaspersky Opentip apon recieving files that arent trusted by Intrusion Prevention.

"If you've applied @harlan4096 's configuration regarding Kaspersky, SWH is overkill."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.