Advice Request XP Gains Market Share; Windows 8 Takes A Vacation

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Windows XP's disappearance and Windows 8's march toward some kind of success were both put on hold in January, after a December when the former's user share plunged and the latter's swelled, a Web analytics company said Saturday.

Neither are good signs for Microsoft, which has bet the future on Windows 8 and is coming close to begging customers to abandon the creaky Windows XP.

According to Aliso Viejo, Calif. company Net Applications, Windows XP increased its share by a quarter of a percentage point in January, ending the month at 29.2% of all desktop and notebook computers worldwide, the first time it had meaningful growth since March 2012.

The 13-year-old operating system accounted for nearly a third -- 32% -- of Windows-powered PCs.

Windows XP's increase in user share, a rough measurement of what fraction of the world's computer owners run a specific operating system, had to be a disappointment in Redmond, Wash., headquarters of Microsoft.

The technology giant has relentlessly warned customers that they need to get off XP before it's retired from security support on April 8, 2014. Although at times the messages have been heard -- in December, Windows XP's user share fell 2.2 percentage points, or nine times more than in January -- the stall last month was reminiscent of a pause in October after the OS plummeted by nearly 6 percentage points in the two months prior.

Because of the unexpected respite in XP's decline, Computerworld now forecasts that the OS will power about 27% of all personal computers at the end of April, and nearly 30% of those running one flavor or another of Windows.

Unless Windows XP restarts a dramatic decline, the operating system will still be powering one in five personal computers at the end of 2014.
Read more: http://www.computerworld.in/news/users-postpone-ditch-xp-decision-as-windows-8-runs-to-stay-in-place

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, aztony, as 'Life is just for living..' so too does XP carry itself with both dignity & also the staying power of a Tootsie Pop. No one really knows how long, or how many licks, it takes to get to the center!:p Likewise, I'd thought my old XP SP3 was in retirement. That is, until my Windows 8.1 system failed me, however temporary, which gave me reason to resurrect our trusty XP back into service!;) Another nice side effect was my joining MalwareTips!:D Thanks for sharing this, & reminding me how I am not :oops:alone
...especially here!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: aztony
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.