Privacy News Yahoo 1B Accounts hacked

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's time to migrate to other services like Yandex or other underrated email provider besides on providing encrypted services.

Seems Yahoo does not integrate strong security measures for each client and that incident is no excuse at all.

In such risky business, better close down the component that will affect the overall integrity of the company.

Yahoo also suffered numerous breakdowns in the market and that issue will add for massive downfall.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
its time terminate yahoo accounts.

I don't understand why they made it mandatory to add the mobile number to the yahoo account if they can't keep it safe.

Because they were trying to associate people with the accounts, whose info they freely disclosed when asked.

And probably because they knew their security was 'in need of some work'

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
3rd party app password (linked to my app/PC).
Two-step verification for extra account security.
Security question/ answer deactivated.

I am waiting for the next hack :):D
(remark : this old account has never been hacked)

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I hope they make Yahoo "..great again!".:D

Me too Cats. I think they will. The passwords are worth what? I mean, users have to come up with a new one, but in the end, what do the proud owners of old passwords of never used accounts really have?

Yahoo isn't just sitting back and watching and allowing hacks to happen. The company itself and the employees failed like other times. However, please let's remember how much of this there is and how many times it's happened to other companies, including Microsoft and literally everyone else.

Yahoo! is a community that is trying to define itself and its niche and place on the internet of things. It's a good thing and a good idea. Good ideas never lose in the long run, so I am sure Yahoo! will recover. Anyway, I'm not going to blame the company. They got big back in the 90s to mid 2000s, so hackers made the site a bullseye for hacks. Still Yahoo! will be bullet-proof someday. I know it's not popular to say so about this, but I do believe it on this one really. Good Yahoo! employees aren't the hackers after all.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It will never happen. :D

As long the company is still on-going then they will survive that.

They should hired some black hat instead, for stronger security ;)

It will remain to be one of the largest contribution website in the field of internet technology. ;)

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Me too Cats. I think they will. The passwords are worth what? I mean, users have to come up with a new one, but in the end, what do the proud owners of old passwords of never used accounts really have?

Yahoo isn't just sitting back and watching and allowing hacks to happen. The company itself and the employees failed like other times. However, please let's remember how much of this there is and how many times it's happened to other companies, including Microsoft and literally everyone else.

Yahoo! is a community that is trying to define itself and its niche and place on the internet of things. It's a good thing and a good idea. Good ideas never lose in the long run, so I am sure Yahoo! will recover. Anyway, I'm not going to blame the company. They got big back in the 90s to mid 2000s, so hackers made the site a bullseye for hacks. Still Yahoo! will be bullet-proof someday. I know it's not popular to say so about this, but I do believe it on this one really. Good Yahoo! employees aren't the hackers after all.

I see your point - but for the huge amount of users who don't change their password- it gives the crooks an easier way to send out large amounts of Malicious spam (or spam in general), which in theory spreads malware further and affects the whole 'ecosystem' if you look at it from a global theory. Another infected PC is hijacked and is used as part of a botnet to seek out vulnerable PC's to infect....

I cannot count the times where I get a phone call or someone asking me to look at this email from someone they know that contains nothing but a url in the body of the message (and the sender domain is @yahoo.com) - and of course it either is detected as malicious in VirusTotal then, or a week later.

Their rationale:

Well, it says it's from "Insert Friend or Relative's Name", so why shouldn't I open it.

I am not trying to be rude or sarcastic. In reality think of the amount of users (family, people who may be older or retired and cybersecurity was never a big training objective in their company).

People wonder what to do, either abandon their accounts all together for fear of getting a virus by even logging in to cange their password. (If a site is serving malware via ads, then this has merit.....

Cough...
It's complicated.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.