Yahoo! Mail = Not secure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Between the top 3 services offered "Gmail,Yahoo,Hotmail" i am only aware of Gmail utilizing and taking advantage of STARTTLS if it is offered and encrypts the SMTP transaction when a gmail user is sending mail.

Simple Mail Transfer Protocol session's between two mail servers may be encrypted, but only if both ends support it and or both ends choose to use it. The main reason, you could not trust email to be even moderately secure at the transport layer.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Well that's a surprise to me also. Been suing Yahoo for over a year now. That's indeed a security risk. Nowadays I use my gmail account.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
I am a big fan of Google Mail and Google Services....... I am using Google mail from the last 10 years... I didn't face any this type of issues in my Gmail.... But I am having Spam issues in my Yahoo mail now also... I told all of them in my Contacts to Delete my yahoo mail... I am no longer using it... :D

Email Hacking, Spam Mail etc are the main problems in it.

Today I got one Customer. She told me there is no emails in her Inbox. There is supposed to be more than 6000 emails and 20-25 folders.. She can see all those emails in her Windows Live Mail... But her yahoo mail inbox and iPhone Inbox is having Zero Mail....... When I loged into her webmail account (Not yahoo domain, it was a @sbcglobal.net mail) a new Email Account was added in her Mail Account Settings. Like this..

http://123pcworld.com/MalwareTips/yahoomail.JPG

She was not receiving any mails in her web mail, Windows Live Mail and iPhone.. But she was able to send it....

She told me like her friends in her contact receive mails stating "She is Out of Country and She lost her Credit Cards, she urgently need some money and send it to her account. with a Account Number also." This is not a Single Incident. It is a ongoing problem.. There is lots of yahoo mail users... The Interesting thing is most of this emails are Either yahoo or hotmail.....:mad:

zorror

Verified
Nov 25, 2012
Left yahoo mail a long time ago.
Now I use it to receive all the SPAMS

D

Deleted member 178

i never got spam on my official yahoo mail, im sure most people gave their emails to every site they came across.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
i never got spam on my official yahoo mail, im sure most people gave their emails to every site they came across.

That's the biggest thing that everyone does. They don't realise that if you give out your email people can send you spam and what not. I only give my email out if I really have too.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I only use my yahoo email for personal things.I use my gmail accounts for everything else.I use temp and disposable emails when I want to remain incognitot.I always like yahoo mail but I get a ton of spam,at least it goes to the spam folder.I dont give that email out very often.I dont get much spam in Gmail except for Ashampoo,they must be hurting for revenue.Worst I have ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.