Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
yahoomail660x371.jpg

You can check out the official announcement at the Yahoo Blog.

Anyone here still using Yahoo! Mail? I still have a Yahoo email account from back in the days when people used Yahoo’s homepage as their homepage and Yahoo search for finding stuff on the Internet. The company wants to get back to those roots, and the hiring of ex-Google employee Marissa Mayer as CEO highlights the dedication and desire to rise from the ashes once more. Yahoo is still one of the larger Internet companies out there on the world wide web, but it is nowhere near where it was ten or so years ago.

A refresh of the company’s email service Yahoo! Mail may be exactly what is needed to get back on track as it is one of the most popular products Yahoo is offering. Yahoo Mail refreshes have been launched for the Web and as apps for Microsoft Windows 8, Apple iPhone and Google Android. The web refresh may take a couple of days before all users of Yahoo get access to the new design and layout, while apps are already available for all supported platforms.[...]

Read More Here

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
A design clearly inspired (ripped off) by Outlook.com

What Yahoo needs to work on is their terrible spam filters, Fair enough some members will say Yahoo filters prevent spam quite well and some will compare and say Gmail does a better job. Look, to each his own but my personal experience with Yahoo has been a bad one and I will never go back to using them until changes are made.

Thanks.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Actually I have used yahoo for a long time myself and I think it does a good job at filtering spam or at least this has been my experience.I must agree though that Gmail is a bit better at it.I use both Yahoo as well as Gmail butI look forward to the changes,change is good.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
White Nobster said:
Actually I have used yahoo for a long time myself and I think it does a good job at filtering spam or at least this has been my experience. I must agree though that Gmail is a bit better at it.I use both Yahoo as well as Gmail butI look forward to the changes,change is good.

Yes, as I said to each his own, I'm happy that your experience with Yahoo has been good, Only wish mine could have been better.

Agreed, change is good but only if the change itself, is good.

Thanks.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
My experience with Ymail has been pretty good! Filters Spam quite well but I'm slowly moving on to Microsoft Live/Hotmail and Gmail for Reasons.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why did they have to bring it to Yahoo. Yahoo mail before was good...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
McLovin said:
Why did they have to bring it to Yahoo. Yahoo mail before was good...

I just got the update on Android and I dont like it,Looks like mobile Facebook app

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Hmm. I was previously a yahoo mail user but I transferred to outlook this year. The interface just look similar to outlook but outlook is cleaner for me.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Tom172 said:
Does it now use HTTPS?

Not that I really care, just wondering

Nope still don't. That should be the first thing they do.

I

illumination

McLovin said:
Nope still don't. That should be the first thing they do.

I agree. Why would a email service provider have a 256bit encrypted signin which is twice as strong as the rest of the market, but then not be encrypted once in your email?

I

illumination

I stand corrected, Yahoo mail does offer SSL. You have to go into Options at the top, select "Mail" then scroll down to the bottom, and by default the SSL is off, but you can enable it and save it to be on always.

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
Yahoo disappointed me and have quit from it some time ago. I still cannot understand why their spam filter are so weak, and why their security is so .... humble. They were a big thing some years ago and should have stayed there, mainly because of the email service, but now Yahoo! went down a lot.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
I stand corrected, Yahoo mail does offer SSL. You have to go into Options at the top, select "Mail" then scroll down to the bottom, and by default the SSL is off, but you can enable it and save it to be on always.

Are you able to show some sort of screenshot? because I can't find it :s

I

illumination

McLovin said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

Are you able to show some sort of screenshot? because I can't find it :s

In the top hand corner where your name is, sign out,options, click options, chose "mail options" once it opens, scroll down.

yahoo.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nope, I don't get that feature in the Yahoo Australia version :-/

Hwncl.png

I

illumination

McLovin said:
Nope, I don't get that feature in the Yahoo Australia version :-/

Hwncl.png

That whole layout is different.. I just created this account yesterday to do a little research on it, took me a minute to find this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.