Yandex browser discussion (Split Thread)

Will you use the Yandex browser after reading this article?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_05132017_215537.jpg
    capture_05132017_215537.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 650

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I tried the latest version a few days back. 2 things I don't like

1) Limited chrome extensions support
2) Cannot set homepage so left with some russian language which I don't understand

Reactions: AtlBo

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
1) Limited chrome extensions support
Yeah, they are migrating to Opera extensions, since it is mostly Opera based now, but most Chrome extensions should still work.

2) Cannot set homepage so left with some russian language which I don't understand
Default Search engine is Yandex.ru, you need to set yours. Yandex does not have a real homepage, but the tableau.

Questions about browser settings — Browser — Yandex.Support

Tableau — Browser — Yandex.Support

Attachments

• capture_05142017_164133.jpg
    capture_05142017_164133.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,041

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yeah, they are migrating to Opera extensions, since it is mostly Opera based now, but most Chrome extensions should still work.

Default Search engine is Yandex.ru, you need to set yours. Yandex does not have a real homepage, but the tableau.

Questions about browser settings — Browser — Yandex.Support

Tableau — Browser — Yandex.Support
I'm using Opera developer version. Opera itself has limited chrome extensions support just like Yandex.

Even if I set to another search engine there's still no homepage but that tableau

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
The build is different but they update it in their own way(so it doesn't matter)because it get updates every day.
Btw they use Sophos(Sig+Behaviour), Kaspersky and their own engine for blocking the websites.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Hi, this is the new beta! Yandex just Added more security features:notworthy:
It can protect the browser form almost everything! High-quality browser:D
Give it a try ;)
The objects of protection:
  • the file browser
  • your browser settings
  • extensions
  • user data (credit card numbers, pins, bookmarks, browsing history)
  • confidential information (passwords, keyboard input, screen contents, etc.)
  • other resources of the browser, affecting its security
  • operating system settings that affect browser security
Threats, which protects the module
  • change the files of the browser extension and third-party applications (can be embedded malicious code);
  • theft of user data (passwords, credit card numbers, bookmarks, browsing history);
  • the interception or substitution of downloaded and sent data (MITM attack);
  • any unauthorized changes to browser settings such as default search or security settings;
  • the withdrawal of the application screenshots (used to collect user information);
  • record the application sequence of keystrokes on the keyboard (used to steal passwords);
  • unauthorized removal of the browser or module protection third-party applications.
How protection works

The protection module is installed with the browser but is a separate application. It only takes a small amount of virtual memory that protects all the user's browser and works even when the browser is closed.

The module uses the technology of HIPS. It monitors and warns of potentially dangerous activity programs in the operating system. If the application performs an action that threatens the integrity of the browser protection module blocks the action and reports it.

DW it from here Download Yandex Browser (beta)
It's beta but stable and reliable :giggle:

Attachments

• 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 647
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 524

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Verified
Apr 16, 2016
I'm giving it a spin from both work and home for some time now. Security features are really neat, scan on download, tempering alerts, etc. As for speed and lightness, my current favorite is Opera, and I'm not measuring it by opening a task manager and looking at the usage - a bit pointless with todays hardware imho. As a guy with ~30+ tabs opened at an average, the feeling is it's almost as fast as Opera. Speaking of which, I'm quite irritated at the fact that there is no way of putting those tabs vertically. Opera, Firefox (haven't tested the Quantum yet), Vivaldi (I'm trying so hard to like it, but it's still missing that "someting") all have that possibility implemented one way or another. Yandex hasn't and that's the only thing that puts me off. Otherwise, I'd make a default browser in a minute.

I read some posts in other threads arguing the country it originates from. With all due respect to those members, this has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I understand personal preference, and speaking of trust, I'd sooner put mine in this one than in NSA one (whoops, USA one).

Conclusion, I think it has a really nice perspective and is great feature wise. If it, in addition, could cater to the tab freaks like me, it would be my default one.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm giving it a spin from both work and home for some time now. Security features are really neat, scan on download, tempering alerts, etc. As for speed and lightness, my current favorite is Opera, and I'm not measuring it by opening a task manager and looking at the usage - a bit pointless with todays hardware imho. As a guy with ~30+ tabs opened at an average, the feeling is it's almost as fast as Opera. Speaking of which, I'm quite irritated at the fact that there is no way of putting those tabs vertically. Opera, Firefox (haven't tested the Quantum yet), Vivaldi (I'm trying so hard to like it, but it's still missing that "someting") all have that possibility implemented one way or another. Yandex hasn't and that's the only thing that puts me off. Otherwise, I'd make a default browser in a minute.

I read some posts in other threads arguing the country it originates from. With all due respect to those members, this has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I understand personal preference, and speaking of trust, I'd sooner put mine in this one than in NSA one (whoops, USA one).

Conclusion, I think it has a really nice perspective and is great feature wise. If it, in addition, could cater to the tab freaks like me, it would be my default one.
Can you tell me where does Yandex connects to upon start up? Does it connects to Google?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.