Yandex browser discussion (Split Thread)

Will you use the Yandex browser after reading this article?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Bit worrying when looking on their site.
Is any other browser different? Besides that consent is optional. I am more worried about the Protect service it installs to safeguard the browser, it acts like HIPS (made by Agnitum). It can be uninstalled and will not get installed again upgrading the browser, but it should be optional during the setup.

Reactions: LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Is any other browser different? Besides that consent is optional. I am more worried about the Protect service it installs to safeguard the browser, it acts like HIPS (made by Agnitum). It can be uninstalled and will not get installed again upgrading the browser, but it should be optional during the setup.
Could be one thing that the developers need to know about?

~LDogg

Reactions: TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have not seen conflicts with antivirus, if you mean that.
I mean, that it is more like a realtime security, it monitors the whole system, not just the browser. The idea is good, I just do not like it.

Could be one thing that the developers need to know about?
I have reported several issues (like broken DNS), none of them got fixed. I guess the only requirement for the english support is to know english. :confused:
Then again, Yandex is used like by 0,1% people worldwide (thanks to KAV's bad reputation as well), it is popular only in Russia, thus that explains it.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yandex 18.7.1.855 has added support for DNS IPv6 (I have IPv6 disabled). I guess, it is a good thing, I guess. :unsure:

Attachments

• capture_08282018_125154.jpg
    capture_08282018_125154.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 672
  • capture_08282018_125330.jpg
    capture_08282018_125330.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 625

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I like yandex alot, it just lacks google safe browsing but netcraft + av will do.

The performance is very amazing even its just chrome fork

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yandex is very nice, absolutely my idea of a perfect browser.. But privacy wise, I would never trust it.

Shortly after we migrated to Yandex 'mysterious' things started happening. Random account compromises, many attempts to compromise other accounts. Once Yandex was removed and passwords/usernames were changed the problems went away. My trust in Yandex is -0 right now and I won't trust them ever again. (not to mention any Russian product/service) I mentioned all of this in another Yandex thread somewhere but too lazy to go look.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i use yandex. it's better for me than google's browser. russia is far away an uninterested in me. give this a thought. google is increasingly going sjw. they are removing non-sjw thought on youtube and rendering many conservative thinkers unsearchable (ex. prager university). when i preform a search via their search engine, can i trust the results. increasingly, they are being accused of manipulating search results to support progressive causes. the other day i went to a hunting forum and had a google chrome warning that the page was down. i found myself wondering if it was really down? i viewed it after with the brave browser. they can control my searches and they can interfere with whether a page will even by viewable in their browser. and they are working with china to censor content which means they don't really have any morality on these issues, or that they are secretly full blown communists?? my blogger account was demonitorized because i have a problem with abortion. if you are in a hostile sjw country like the UK and you write a comment criticizing immigration (or something), can you trust google to not report your identity to the police? (cuz it's jail time for that, which is insane). as i said, russia is far away and doesn't care who i am.

google needs to be broken up into separate companies (search, youtube, browser, blogger, whatever else).

and on a practical level, my bookmarks were too big and not always rendering in google chrome. they work fine in yandex. plus, yandex uses kaspersky to scan your downloads. (so far, i find yandex uses less ram than google chrome).

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yandex is probably best chromium fork, the build in flash block is nice even flash is dying slowly.

Only thing it lacks is google safe browsing, because theyre not google but extensions / antivirus do enough web filtering

Using password manager like bitwarden with yandex is also huge plus

Memory usage is smaller than google chrome has, just because of 32 bit version

I found out that yandex has servers / company on finland aswell, so i trust them but not using chromium as my daily browser because of firefox / edge having much better web/font rendering ( aswell some antimalwares mark yandex as pup)

Vivaldi is also good option of ' privacy ' browser...its like firefox but chromium

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I like the feature, that it encrypts insecure WiFi by encrypting the traffic within the browser and sending it via Yandex servers, where it gets decrypted.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I like the feature, that it encrypts insecure WiFi by encrypting the traffic within the browser and sending it via Yandex servers, where it gets decrypted.
Is there dev blog about yandex by the way? Couldnt find one

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Reactions: Moonhorse

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Yandex browser comes bundled with Trovi. I stopped using Yandex after this sneaky behaviour. Some might suggest using another search engine other than Bing. This is not the issue. It is bundling a browser hijaker in the first place.

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Yandex browser comes bundled with Trovi. I stopped using Yandex after this sneaky behaviour. Some might suggest using another search engine other than Bing. This is not the issue. It is bundling a browser hijaker in the first place.
i'm old enough to remember when the internet started and you had to purchase some alternative browsers. i live in a country where 40 percent of the people don't pay tax and live off welfare. people feel entitled to other peoples labour. a browser takes a lot of money to develop and maintain. as far as i can see, yandex boosts its ability to raise advertising money by directing bing searches through the trovi search. or perhaps they have an arrangement with microsoft and receive compensation for redirected traffic. i dunno and don't really care. i understand this is likely how they make money to develop their browser, allowing me to use it for free. google does far worse with my data. and google is devouring firefox (they fund most of their expenses to direct their development). as little browsers go bankrupt, eventually we will be left with one. and then, you will have to buy it, likely on a monthly subscription, to access the internet.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have just realized, what a confident moron I was. I use extensions to clean caches/cookies, but they can only do so much, since when the browser is running, some data are locked, obviously, but not so obvious to me. I also use Wise Disk, but it is not as effective browser cleaner as CCleaner.

I was just causally browsing some settings and opened stored cookies and I was horrified, there were cookies from weeks ago, some spicy too. :emoji_flushed:
browser://settings/siteData - saved in IndexedDatabase, LocalStorage, SessionWorkers. I have managed to remove almost all, still shaking though.

In case you are interested, I have added this to my cleanup procedures, I guess similar applies to other Chromium based browsers.
Code:
del "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\Application\*.7z" /s /f /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\AutofillStrikeDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\BudgetDatabase" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Code Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\data_reduction_proxy_leveldb" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\databases" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\File System" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GCM Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\GPUCache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\IndexedDB" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Local Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Media Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Session Storage" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Value Store" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Service Worker" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Site Characteristics Database" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\Tablo Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\Default\VideoDecodeStats" /s /q

Attachments

• capture_04152019_192854.jpg
    capture_04152019_192854.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 739

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yandex added 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9 and Cleanbrowsing Security (suggested as the best), it detects phishtank links after 2 hours and some malcode.

EDIT: I wanted to use Quad9 Secure, its DNS server is the closest to me, unlike Clean (located in USA), but I can not. Quad9 is blocking youtube.

Attachments

• capture_05072019_133453.jpg
    capture_05072019_133453.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 822
  • capture_05082019_100621.jpg
    capture_05082019_100621.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.