Advice Request Yandex - the good, the bad and the ugly

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Paul.R

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Hi!

I want to change my main browser: Google Chrome with yandex browser. It's a good choice , bad? I don't know...what I really know it's that I like Yandex Interface, features, speed and compatibility; very stable on my system. I don't know why but seems something there that stop me for fully trust them.

What you recommend to stay with Chrome or keep using Yandex?

Some opinions about Yandex privacy?

Wish you all a good day!

Yandex is great from my experience. I had one issue however where my searches were being redirected though Trovi (adware) whenever I set my default search engine to Bing. Also, keep in mind that Yandex is based in Russia.

I personally recommend FireFox. If you're looking for something similar to Google Chrome, try out Vivaldi or Brave. Both are based on Chromium.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well yandex is mix of opera & chrome. For sure it has more features than google chrome has. Yandex has better search results than google in my opinion, but it lacks google safe browsing so you should get some kind of extension to block phishing/malware sites or either has antivirus with decent web shield

Malwarebytes adwcleaner marks yandex as pup, but i would say yandex is best chromium alternative you can have

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yandex has just made strike one on my list. You have to allow Yandex cookies, otherwise you will not be able to add/remove bookmarks.
I am already singed into my Yandex account for sync, but they have made this change, not sure why?! 2 more strikes and Yandex is out.
I just do not like keeping any cookies needlessly, since their hashes could be potentially stolen, not to mention privacy/tracking issues.

Attachments

• capture_01062020_214636.jpg
    capture_01062020_214636.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 641

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Yandex has just made strike one on my list. You have to allow Yandex cookies, otherwise you will not be able to add/remove bookmarks.
I am already singed into my Yandex account for sync, but they have made this change, not sure why?! 2 more strikes and Yandex is out.
I just do not like keeping any cookies needlessly, since their hashes could be potentially stolen, not to mention privacy/tracking issues.
Turn off for me was that everytime you sign-in with yandex account and clear browser history, it will sign you off from yandex too

Atleast they dont censor searches like duckduckgo, qwant, google, startpage etc... does

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yandex is bad for Russian ppl but good for others.
@Sunshine-boy is right, as far as privacy is concerned.
As for security, Google Chrome is #1 to get those patches out. But it doesn't really matter, because hackers won't bother to use Chromium-based vulnerabilities after Google patched them, so you are safe either way. IMHO.
As for performance and features, you can see that for yourself.

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
It's not malware, if that's what you mean by safe.
Obviously by using their browser you're agreeing to allow Yandex to collect, use and share your personal information for various purposes.
Well I use brave and edge , I wanted to know the the security of this is like brave ?

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Agreed with @Moonhorse
Security wise its pretty good but privacy wise there are better alternatives. I recommend using Edge when you want to focus on security. Its less bloated and is probably better in terms of security.
I live in Russia and have been using Yandex for at least six years. What can I say about safety? Yandex Browser has its own protection system (Protect), which checks sites for phishing, malware, and also checks all downloaded files with Kaspersky antivirus and its own antivirus engine. In addition, in the Yandex browser, you can set DNS protection, when all requests will pass through an encrypted channel to the Yandex. There is also Wi-Fi protection, a protected mode for bank payments, protection from harmful extensions. All this is described in the instructions in the online help.
As for privacy? Yes, the browser can collect certain statistics in order to then show you targeted ads through its own Yandex Direct network. Does he share information with the FSB? Unknown. I remember there was some kind of scandal, government agencies wanted to get something from Yandex, but they were refused. I don't remember exactly what exactly, since it was a long time ago. So the question of cooperation with the FSB is rhetorical, nobody caught Yandex by the hand. Probably, everyone cooperates with the special services, but who admits this openly?))

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.