You’re Not Backing Up Properly Unless You Have Offsite Backups

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Backups are critical. But, if you’re just performing regular backups to a nearby external hard drive or USB drive, you’re missing an important part of your backup strategy. You need your files stored in separate physical locations.

So-called “offsite backups” will protect your important files from catastrophic events like fires, floods, and robberies of your home or office. Files stored in just one physical location are vulnerable.
http://www.howtogeek.com/219197/youre-not-backing-up-properly-unless-you-have-offsite-backups/

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for an important reminder & article, @aztony.:)
This sounds both sad and paranoid, but I have x 4 hardware encrypted, external hard drives with all my info stored.
Tony, I've a strong feeling the preparedness (AKA: paranoia) you practice is also an effective preventative to the sadness:oops: which could ensue if not for these safety measures set into place. I've the sudden vision you've some form of back up to your system that's even now being safely transported on board that wide bodied jet you use for an avatar!:p:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just a little bit conscious is fine but don't over think too much. Its a mere fact where more backup plans are better but of course common sense must apply already for safety.

Just never store files in SSD where study finds about possible data lost due to unstable temperature.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thank you Cats, I just hope I never have to use them...... Hope you and your lovely cats are well, my auntie is thinking of getting a kitten, excuse, she is retiring in December.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.