You should consider Opera, according to WindowsCentral.com

Would you consider switching to Opera on Windows 10?

• Yes (switching to Opera)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No (staying with current browser)

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Not tried Opera

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Already using Opera

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why you should consider switching to Opera's latest browser for Windows 10

"Today, we're taking a look at the latest version of Opera for Windows, version 37 and 39 at their request. Not being a regular Opera user I like challenges, so I accepted their offer.

So, how did I like using Opera 37 and 39 (developer) for the last week? Let's find out.

In many ways, this makes Opera feel similar to Google's Chrome browser for rendering, but Opera can also build off of the web engine to do their unique thing. Opera has a history of bringing many features that are later copied to competing browsers such Pop-up Blocking, Private Browsing, Browser Sessions, and Speed Dial (their custom home page aggregator).

In fact, this is one of the reasons why so many people prefer Opera as they tend to offer useful and exciting features first focusing on privacy, reduced data usage and more."​

Read Full Article: Why you should consider switching to Opera's latest browser for Windows 10

Will you be switching to Opera on Windows 10? Do you like it more than your current browser?

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
My thoughts exactly.
Though I had better experience with Opera in the past, I stayed away from it since Google Chrome became popular. I tried Opera last month and it has been my favorite since then.
It's fast. Probably faster than Chrome from my experience. Once the cache gets built up, Chrome took minutes to start. With Opera it's just a blink of an eye.
There is a native ad-blocking functionality which boasts to be better than extensions. Also, Opera turbo mode will replace Google Data Savings feature.
If you don't mind sacrificing some of your browser extensions for speed, I recommend the new Opera.

N

Noxx

I think at the very least, Opera has downgraded Firefox's signifigance. I think it's very close with Chrome, but I prefer Chrome because it's never not run well and kept me secure on my setup. Opera is good, I recommend people try it if they're disatisfied with their present browser.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have had a fondness for Opera which has consistently won it's way back into my heart as well as our numerous operating systems, and even our tablet, time and again! After such positive encouragements, I think I shall be installing Opera onto a VM with an empty space that needs a reliable browser, and then, very soon if all goes well, I will be switching to Windows 10 in order to install Opera!;) :D

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Been using the browser for more than 11 years now, it's a very good browser for sure. For some time they lost that attitude of bringing innovations to the internet and browsing experience. Opera fans were also angry about the change from Presto to Chromnium. Long ago Opera was like Vivaldi, lots of customisations, features that were absent in other browsers. Today Opera is slowly returning back on track,with a better interface, adblock, and soon a VPN. But it will diverge again from this track if they get sold to the Chinese consortium i think because many are not happy about that sale.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Opera has been a polished browser since few days. I tried it my self on my system and was impressed with the improvements.
But the chromium engine which they have implemented is not yet smooth like chrome.

Ex: The smooth scroll lags, and it still needs a external flash player to play some web contents.
This is a minor draw back and I hope they implement these features as well.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Opera is an alternative browser for heavy browser like Chrome since they have different perspective on enhancements.

Honestly Opera is much better than Chrome (except on security concepts which GC already in favor) considering the reliability, performance and quality of features.

However the problem only for Opera is the way to make the browser well convince for majority of users. (low % of market shares)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Opera is a very good browser. Very fast and stable. It has not that much extensions as chrome, but you can always install extensions from the chrome store too, so no need to worry about that. They also have things that Chrome doesn't have like mouse gestures, VPN (not in stable yet) and adblocker in the browser built in. Only thing that is still a bit unclear is their future after rumours they are going to be sold to chinese investors. At the end of this month we will probably know more about their future, but nevertheless a good browser.

N

Noxx

Opera is a very good browser. Very fast and stable. It has not that much extensions as chrome, but you can always install extensions from the chrome store too, so no need to worry about that. They also have things that Chrome doesn't have like mouse gestures, VPN (not in stable yet) and adblocker in the browser built in. Only thing that is still a bit unclear is their future after rumours they are going to be sold to chinese investors. At the end of this month we will probably know more about their future, but nevertheless a good browser.

Good point. It's not unknown for any project to drastically change direction (for good or bad) in the hands of new owners. Vivaldi is another solid option that deserves another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.