Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

SSDs and other flash memory devices will soon get cheaper and larger thanks to big announcements from Toshiba and Intel. Both companies revealed new "3D NAND" memory chips that are stacked in layers to pack in more data, unlike single-plane chips currently used. Toshiba said that it's created the world's first 48-layer NAND, yielding a 16GB chip with boosted speeds and reliability. The Japanese company invented flash memory in the first place and has the smallest NAND cells in the world at 15nm. Toshiba is now giving manufacturers engineering samples, but products using the new chips won't arrive for another year or so.

At the same time, Intel and partner Micron revealed they're now manufacturing their own 32-layer NAND chips that should also arrive in SSDs in around a year. They're sampling even larger capacity NAND memory than Toshiba, with 32GB chips available now and a 48GB version coming soon. Micron said the chips could be used to make gum-stick sized M.2 PCIe SSDs up to 3.5TB in size and 2.5-inch SSDs with 10TB of capacity -- on par with the latest hard drives. All of this means that Toshiba, Intel/Micron and companies using their chips will soon give some extra competition to Samsung, which has been using 3D NAND tech for much longer. The result will be nothing but good for consumers: higher capacity, cheaper SSDs that will make spinning hard disks sleep with one eye open.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
what a normal user like me gonna do with 10 TB?

Besides to install an OS to experience the blazing speed of performance a typical mostly user will do this:

1) 5-10 GB above of 1080p or more than for the movies, games and everything. (unfortunately can be cracked)
2) Lots of files (also garbage/unnecessary) ;) which scattered all around without defragmentation cause its not needed.
3) Very useful for such investment for more than years.

The problem here is the price unless a dramatically decrease and totally phase out the HDD type.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Good. But somewhere I heard SSDs have low shelf life of stored data when its unpowered for a long time. Unpowered consumer SSD drives data lasts only for up to 1-2 years and enterprise drive data lasts for only a few weeks if it let unpowered !! Needs to improve in that front.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Besides to install an OS to experience the blazing speed of performance a typical mostly user will do this:

1) 5-10 GB above of 1080p or more than for the movies, games and everything. (unfortunately can be cracked)
2) Lots of files (also garbage/unnecessary) ;) which scattered all around without defragmentation cause its not needed.
3) Very useful for such investment for more than years.

The problem here is the price unless a dramatically decrease and totally phase out the HDD type.
I don't watch movies but even i need, i watch online, i don't play games anymore, i don't install garbage in my HDD . There is still 700+ GB free space in my HD. I tb is nuff for a average joe like me. I hope SSD price will down so i'can buy a 500 or 1 TB SDD next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.