Your current opinion about Avast?

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
It's nagware, it's spying on users, it leaves things even after used uninstall tool, etc. These are what I generally heard about this product. But despite that, it's an excellent antivirus product. It has strong behaviour monitor(thanks to AVG) and very good signature detection. I'm currently using it in hardened settings. I also blocked AvastUI from accessing to internet and blocked overseer completely from running. It's much lighter than Kaspersky, Kaspersky was casuing a massive disk usage every time I boot my computer(HDD).

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
@motox781 I can't actually trust to WD that much. Smartscreen is working properly if I open the file from explorer. But it doesn't work when I open any file from cmd. If it's that easy to bypass, then what's the point of "block at first sight" and "cloud protection: block" settings?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
@motox781 I can't actually trust to WD that much. Smartscreen is working properly if I open the file from explorer. But it doesn't work when I open any file from cmd. If it's that easy to bypass, then what's the point of "block at first sight" and "cloud protection: block" settings?

I don't like bloated stuff (hence Avast). Sorry, I don't open files from CMD.

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
Used avast along time ago, version 5 if i remember. The protection from avast is one of the best, but i could not stand all the telementry and the tactics there are trying to sell there products. its even scareware when they say for example "ur unsafe, ur ip is leaking", dont know the exact words, for selling there vpn. Thats a nogo in my eyes for a security company.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I used Avast Hardened Mode Agressive extensively on customer PCs a couple of years ago (free version), until the nagging got uncontrollable. Now I just use WD with up to date Windows 10 on other PCs. I was wore out over free AVs and their up sells / nag screens / re-registers / etc.

IMO, Windows 10 caused a plummet in malware as I've seen. I'd be surprised nowadays (in my little world), to see active malware as it was in the Windows 7 days (oh the horrible PUAs too).

Most families just use Iphones, tablets, etc. in my circle (as their main source of browsing...no longer PCs), which are pretty much impervisous to most malware.

Windows will eventually move to mostly commerical/enterprise...if the trend hasn't already started to happen on a large scale.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm using Avg Free Beta and I actually like it. More privacy opt-outs are available now and if you know to avoid the sneaky Chrome install & scare tactics upon install it's no problem. However, I do get that they will scare less experienced users who install it.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I'm using Avg Free Beta and I actually like it. More privacy opt-outs are available now and if you know to avoid the sneaky Chrome install & scare tactics upon install it's no problem. However, I do get that they will scare less experienced users who install it.
What's the difference between mainstream and beta version? I may switch to beta version of avast or avg :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What's the difference between mainstream and beta version? I may switch to beta version of avast or avg :)

None that I'm aware of except it gets updated about every two weeks or so vs. AVG only has hardened mode medium, not aggressive like Avast. I like the UI better as well because it seems to have a little less visual clutter. Haven't ever used Avast though so I'm not sure.

Windows will eventually move to mostly commerical/enterprise...if the trend hasn't already started to happen on a large scale.

They'll have to take my W10 laptop out of my cold, dead hands! :LOL: I no longer browse on my iPad since getting to know more about Windows the last couple of years.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Kaspersky was casuing a massive disk usage every time I boot my computer(HDD).
Same here. That's why I moved to Eset. Excellent protection, super light, even their trial version has no nagging while paid version of Avast gives users a false sense of danger, make fool of their users and try to sell them their VPN, cleanup tool etc. Also like you mentioned, overseer.exe, installer comes with Chrome bundle. I just can't stand those. Protection wise great but tbh, Avast itself feels like a "PUP" to me.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Most avast problems are Privacy issues and incompatibilities. Both can be solved by some workarounds or even cures (overseer, telemetry, BSODs, slowdowns...)
I'm able to domesticate Avast so all mentioned problems are never a problem for me
with proper combinations and tweaks, avast FREE is the most excellent AV in terms of protection and resource usage I can find on the market besides Comodo Firewall and Kaspersky free

the best AVs on my standards are the ones with the least vulnerabilities for malwares to exploit + low resource usage + don't lower productivity/usability

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Avast is fine and I suggest you ignore the scare-ware about it.

It is true that Avast are into data collection - they do either own or influence Jumpshot, a data collection and analysis firm - but the data collection is anonymous and adheres to legal requirements. In other words, Avast are not legally allowed to do anything that no other company can do to you.

Paid customers of Avast solutions have the ability to disable the data collection in the settings and keep it to an absolute minimum which likely results in the bare-bone telemetry required for the working of Avast products.

At the end of the day, nothing is free. Avast cannot support the free version of their products properly if no one is paying for the paid solutions. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that they monetized the free version in some shape or form and allow paid customers to disable it.

Avast have great protection abilities and so does AVG which is also owned by them now.

Jun 26, 2019
I also blocked AvastUI from accessing to internet and blocked overseer completely from running.
Blocking AvastUI from accessing the internet is a bad idea because it can disrupt protection if Avast change anything in the future which involves AvastUI more. There's a large possibility that this will cause an issue at some point down the road and the last thing you want is for Avast to stop working when you actually need it the most, potentially without knowing.

Overseer is used by Avast to check for issues with the Avast installation and report back any issues they find, roughly along those lines. It isn't spyware and it doesn't take photos of you using your webcam. It's not a rootkit with a hidden process either.

There's propaganda nonsense by people who do not actually have any experience with any of these topics who have spread misinformation about Avast and Overseer over the last year.

One of the issues was it being left behind by the uninstaller but I presume they have since fixed this issue as it was reported to them and they said they would solve it. Can you confirm if this has been solved?

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
some time ago I used Avasta and I can not complain that it is a bad program, of course you have to look at your privacy, but without exaggeration.
that it collects data, but which program does not collect data about users of almost everyone.
you can not suggest it.
I use a program that suits me best and will be good for me and my equipment.
you have to look at it with a wry eye.
in the past days the internet is not anonymous.
that's my opinion.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Blocking AvastUI from accessing the internet is a bad idea because it can disrupt protection if Avast change anything in the future which involves AvastUI more. There's a large possibility that this will cause an issue at some point down the road and the last thing you want is for Avast to stop working when you actually need it the most, potentially without knowing.

Overseer is used by Avast to check for issues with the Avast installation and report back any issues they find, roughly along those lines. It isn't spyware and it doesn't take photos of you using your webcam. It's not a rootkit with a hidden process either.

There's propaganda nonsense by people who do not actually have any experience with any of these topics who have spread misinformation about Avast and Overseer over the last year.

One of the issues was it being left behind by the uninstaller but I presume they have since fixed this issue as it was reported to them and they said they would solve it. Can you confirm if this has been solved?
There is a uninstall tool "avastclear" which is run in safe mode,this did the job for me

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For consumers: The back-end technologies and core protection are very good, but everything else is poorly designed.

For business: Users who want to try/buy Avast Antivirus for Business from a non-Chromium browser, are shown what appears to be a Sponsored Ad.

1562410346356.png

See my threads - mostly screenshots of the products.
  1. Discuss - Re-visiting Avast Free Antivirus after 2 years (2017 vs 2019)
  2. Discuss - Let's compare AVG Free Antivirus to Avast in 2019 [50+ Screenshots]

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Avast is a good product, indeed. Yes, it's a monster related to telemetry, but we have advanced users like @Evjl's Rain that reverse engineered that disadvantage and offered us good tweaks to use the AV without comproising our privacy. If you like to spend some time following his advice, then Avast can be one of the best free options you can get. It's light (can be), it's robust and easy to use. Also AVG.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.