Your current opinion about Avast?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I don't like their approach in shilling their paid services. It's intrusive and annoying and the methods they use are just bad imo. But they got so big they are just rolling with it now because shareholders demand it and no matter what us old supporters say about it, they aren't changing their behavior. I've been a long time avast! supporter and fan and while I still try it here and there for some time, I'm not really using it much for some reason. Despite crappy Windows Defender scan speed/performance, I'm now kinda sticking with it on most of my systems. It has pretty good detection now, it's absolutely not intrusive. If only they checked up the scan speed and it'll be a product hard to match.

marcopaone

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
My opinion about Avast?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2019
It has pretty good detection now, it's absolutely not intrusive.
1. Microsoft have an automatic file upload feature in Windows Defender for their cloud.
2. SmartScreen naturally requires telemetry to function to the best of its ability.
3. Windows Update shares information about your Windows Defender installation to receive the latest update definitions.

Microsoft collect information about how Windows Defender is used the same way that most other vendors collect information about how their products are used, and they also have cloud features which involves file sharing.

Windows in general collects a lot of information - nowadays, Microsoft have the ability to see what applications you've recently ran and with what documents you've used those applications with, and they've made this visible with the recent Windows 10 cloud features (e.g. cloud clipboard, recently used, etc.). It definitely goes to Microsoft's servers because it supports sync across environments with the same Microsoft account.

Anyway, if you want to truly benefit from Windows Defender's modern features, you need to be sharing information with them. That information is later used internally to improve Windows Defender (fix bugs, add new signatures, etc.) and may even be shared with third-parties as part of the collaboration programs (e.g. Virus Information Alliance).

Vendors like Avast/AVG and numerous others also contribute to Windows Defender through the partnership programs. Microsoft help those vendors back by providing intelligence, telemetry information, documentation for various things, etc. It's a two-way street. Without vendors like Avast/AVG then Windows Defender would be missing out because Avast/AVG are very big contributors in these partnership programs, the same way that Microsoft is to them.

Nagisa

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
@oldschool May I ask, do you know something about this problem?

The box that actives hardened mode becomes empty every time I restart my computer. The function still works, though.

kati_mod.PNG

katı_mod2.PNG

It seems hardened mode still active although it's deactived on the UI.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Reactions: Nagisa

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@oldschool May I ask, do you know something about this problem?

The box that actives hardened mode becomes empty every time I restart my computer. The function still works, though.

View attachment 216313

View attachment 216314

It seems hardened mode still active although it's deactived on the UI.
when you check agressive, the hardened mode checkbox in the purple UI will be unchecked, that's normal but it's working. Don't worry

when you set to moderate, it will be checked

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.