You're able to win the fight against ransomware! How? BACKUP!

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Just sayin'...

This is not difficult...
Sure not allow it to run in the first place is the best thing to can do. and yes, its not hard at all. But have a backup is one of the best things u can have for ransomware at the moment. it can safe u much work when an ransomware comes true ur defense and u need to format the whole pc.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Back-up and restore is a good to have option but just don't over-rely on it.

Sometimes it work, other time it doesn't. Been there done that many times. And precisely why I don't use back-up software like macrium or AOMEI; not even window's own backup and restore feature.

I prefer to work and save all my stuffs in thumb drive/external disk.

If my PC got infected, I try to rescue with SD on Boot. If it fails, just format it again ( I only have SD, Appguard, SB and Adguard installed as most of the productivity apps are in portable).

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Backup strategy for those that have data which they wish to save permanently is important; I did not state nor imply image restore\backup should not be used.

What I advocate is adopt a backup strategy (of course I use one = Macrium Reflect) - but before you "bank on it and expect dividends" - make sure your solution of choice works.

The only evidence I need are my own two eyes. What works on your system isn't going to work on everyone else's system - especially on older hardware.

Like I said, go to any image restore\backup vendor forum and just take a gander at the many problem reports and requests for support -- and especially take a look at the Enterprise sub-forum if the vendor has one that is publicly viewable.

There's a lot of attitude "It works for me, so it should work for everyone else..." The operative word is should. However, one has to take reality for what it is - and that reality is that there are failure rates associated with everything IT.
I use Macrium reflect free and it's fine for me but was wondering if you use the premium version and rapid delta restore how much faster is it from normal restore(1/2,1/4,1/8 of time, i know it depends on changes but let's just say for a malware that doesn't encrypts everything) and can you do it from the PE environment recovery? Just really want to know if it's worth it because all the other features it has are of no use to me. Thanks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To make everything short, any forms of backup can recover your information safely without errors.

If you are going to remove ransomware one by one, the process is painful cause it canvl lead to data lost

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.