Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
YouTube working on official dark mode

Screen-Shot-1-2-800x713.jpg

YouTube is testing a new Dark Mode that can be enabled by following some simple instructions. It's not clear how long the mode has been available as an option but its possible to switch on in Chrome, Firefox and possibly most other modern browsers despite what other news sites have been saying about the latest version of Chrome being a requirement.

Enabling YouTube's dark mode is simple enough, here are the instructions:

1. Chrome users: Press ctrl + shift + i to open the developer sidebar while you're on the YouTube home page and press the console tab. Firefox users: Press ctrl + shift + i and type allow pasting.
  2. Paste document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE" and press enter.
  3. Refresh YouTube and click your profile image (or the three dots) in the upper right and select Dark Mode.
You may have already seen the new YouTube layout before but you should be aware that the hack above will give you the dark theme and give you the new layout which introduces larger buttons among other things.

With the introduction of this feature many third party user scripts that have been developed for add-ons such as Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey will no longer be needed, night owls will now be able to use YouTube without their eyes aching from the light theme that was up until now the only official option.

Source: MacRumors

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try it at youtube.com/new

Clean design

The content and creators that you love shine with a clean, simple design.

home_screenshot_432@2x-vflmiXkno.png

Dark Theme
Activate dark theme from the new account menu to cut down on glare and take in the true colours of the videos that you watch.

dark_screenshot_432@2x-vflqW9Dm3.png

Built for the future

We've been working on a totally new site design that's built on a new faster framework. That means we can build new features faster, such as dark theme and more to come.

onreact

Level 1
Verified
May 3, 2017
I thought "dark mode" would enable me to use YouTube anonymously or something but it's only a template with bad readability.

Dark backgrounds are not mainstream for a reason, they are hard on the eyes!

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
I thought "dark mode" would enable me to use YouTube anonymously or something but it's only a template with bad readability.

Dark backgrounds are not mainstream for a reason, they are hard on the eyes!
o_O
that goes opposite to what most people are saying lol
of course it depends on your usage ;)

1) if used during the day or in fully lit area, light theme works good & i can see why dark theme would be harder to read things on screen
2) but if used during the night, or in darker/unlit area, dark theme is better since your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness, then you switch tabs to light youtube and your retinas go :eek: lol.

at least now youtube gives people a choice and ability to switch between light/dark without using other software :)

Reactions: onreact
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Unfortunately the new mode doesn't support shuffle mode for playlists yet.

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
now if only you could scroll through suggested videos and keep your playing video frozen to the top

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Using dark background not only helps to view the information efficiently but also on conservation.

Like in this customized search engine based in Google: Blackle

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.