Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
yosetup.exe » NSIS » OCSetupHlp.dll - Win32/OpenCandy potentially unsafe application

How do I get this installed without the opencandy crap?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What software are you trying to install? Have you looked on alternate sites?

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Overkill said:
yosetup.exe » NSIS » OCSetupHlp.dll - Win32/OpenCandy potentially unsafe application

How do I get this installed without the opencandy crap?

Use HostsMan with MVPS host block list and you will never again have to be worried about OpenCandy.

Manual blocking add these lines to your host file:

127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com
127.0.0.1 media.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 api.opencandy.com

Other options install program with your web disconnected because OpenCandy can not contact its servers, doesn't work with online installers.

Look for an ad-free installer sometimes will be offered by Softpedia and the software vendors.

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Earth said:
What software are you trying to install? Have you looked on alternate sites?

Yo window
It's a cool weather app but comes with opencandy

Same deal with softpedia

B5PTtwa.png

What is opencandy adware? will it hurt my system at all?
It won't install right because of eset quarantining it

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What is opencandy adware?
OpenCandy installers will do a quick scan of your system to see what programs you have installed then it will connect to their servers and download a list of ad-sponsored software which is usually trialware, shareware and sometimes rogueware or other junk software.

Then it will display options to install these ad-sponsored software all selected by default. You must be very careful, take your time before clicking and always unselect, skip and deny any ad-sponsored software.

Sometimes the installers are very tricky and you could end up with some software that you do not want.

will it hurt my system at all?

OpenCandy installers will not pose any danger to your system themselves but will leave behind tracking info in your system's registry. But if you get tricked into installing ad-sponsored software, then you could have some potential rogueware and other junk software that might make changes to your system. Open Candy has cleaned up a bit from their previous actions and many AV's no longer detect their installers.

If you still want to install this program knowing the risks, I suggest first install HostsMan and add MVPS host file block list. Don't install the other available block lists because they are too aggressive. Make sure to restart your browser after adding the block list to Hostsman. Second disable Eset and then download installer for program. If you don't have Sandboxie installed then you will need to install it and restart your system. If you do have Sandboxie installed then right click on the installer and select "Run Sandboxed". You then can move the files that you need to the location without having to worry about extra crap getting installed.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
What is opencandy adware?
OpenCandy installers will do a quick scan of your system to see what programs you have installed then it will connect to their servers and download a list of ad-sponsored software which is usually trialware, shareware and sometimes rogueware or other junk software.

Then it will display options to install these ad-sponsored software all selected by default. You must be very careful, take your time before clicking and always unselect, skip and deny any ad-sponsored software.

Sometimes the installers are very tricky and you could end up with some software that you do not want.

will it hurt my system at all?

OpenCandy installers will not pose any danger to your system themselves but will leave behind tracking info in your system's registry. But if you get tricked into installing ad-sponsored software, then you could have some potential rogueware and other junk software that might make changes to your system. Open Candy has cleaned up a bit from their previous actions and many AV's no longer detect their installers.

If you still want to install this program knowing the risks, I suggest first install HostsMan and add MVPS host file block list. Don't install the other available block lists because they are too aggressive. Make sure to restart your browser after adding the block list to Hostsman. Second disable Eset and then download installer for program. If you don't have Sandboxie installed then you will need to install it and restart your system. If you do have Sandboxie installed then right click on the installer and select "Run Sandboxed". You then can move the files that you need to the location without having to worry about extra crap getting installed.

Thanks Littlebits, i'll try it in sbie and see how that works

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Well it would not work in sbie or my host, It would not allow me to find my city saying "update error" so I got fed up and installed the chrome version of yowindow.

DeRxcwv.jpg

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Why do you not use Rainmeter instead with the Weather report plugins? It will save you all the trouble and can be displayed on the desktop. Cant remember if it was you or McLovin who used it.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Well the one I like isn't accurate for me which is elementary

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.