App Review Zemana Anti-Malware Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Zemana usually blocks many suspicious files from the internet with those yellow alerts.
A little stuff to demonstrate and long videos... this needs to improve along with the URL testing and setting the dependencies. We do not know whether some links are hosting just adware or it's more than that.
The detection ratio was pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing the video @spaceoctopus!

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Zemana usually blocks many suspicious files from the internet with those yellow alerts (probably Pandora).
A little stuff to demonstrate and long videos... this needs to improve along with the URL testing and setting the dependencies. We do not know whether some links are hosting just adware or it's more than that.
The detection ratio was pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing the video @spaceoctopus!
Yeah, really impressive for a small software like that. Particularly good in the zero-day area.:);)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I wonder why Malware Geek didn't enable Pandora Cloud-Sandbox Technology. I don't see realtime protection results valid, even if Zemana did a great job at protecting the system.
He stated in the video that he tested the product on default settings. Then later he will do a specific video against Ransomwares where he will turn this setting ON:)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I wonder why Malware Geek didn't enable Pandora Cloud-Sandbox Technology. I don't see realtime protection results valid, even if Zemana did a great job at protecting the system.
Ah, that 4 minute introduction. I just hurried through it. We won't call a test without Pandora complete, even though he simulated the default settings for common users.

He stated in the video that he tested the product on default settings. Then later he will do a specific video against Ransomwares where he will turn this setting ON:)
I've seen quite some tests again RW and it fails against some or the other RW variants out there, with partial or full encryption.
Hopefully Zemana Ultimate brings in big improvements as opposed to plain addition of components.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Looks like ZAM had great results with very high detection ratios but I think one of the main problems I faced with ZAM is that it was detecting files which aren't common as suspicious as well, and it was doing it quite often which leads me to think that ZAM is just taking every file that isn't used commonly and labelling them as suspicious. The false positives for this as a result is through the roof for me.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hello,very nice video,I guess it was not money out the window when I purchased a 3-year license.
:D
As I write here, I can see the "Other threads that you may like.." suggestions pointing to some ZAM giveaways :D
When did you purchase the license? Hopefully, Zemana will allow the paid licensees a free transition to Zemana Ultimate.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Looks like ZAM had great results with very high detection ratios but I think one of the main problems I faced with ZAM is that it was detecting files which aren't common as suspicious as well, and it was doing it quite often which leads me to think that ZAM is just taking every file that isn't used commonly and labelling them as suspicious. The false positives for this as a result is through the roof for me.
Exactly. The case with scripts is that Zemana is quite aggressive in blocking such script files on execution, stating them to be suspicious; we have seen this earlier. However with the executables, the results are fluctuating.
The only reason I avoid ZAL in real-time - no interactive alerts!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Exactly. The case with scripts is that Zemana is quite aggressive in blocking such script files on execution, stating them to be suspicious; we have seen this earlier. However with the executables, the results are fluctuating.
The only reason I avoid ZAL in real-time - no interactive alerts!
Exactly! I just created a bat file to run my backup programs more smoothly and somehow that got detected as suspicious too! And the lack of interactive detections are the worst, having to go into the program itself to restore and add to exclusions every time it blocks something safe is just too much work for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.