Assigned Zemana AntiLogger is NOT fully functional on 64-bit Machines

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strumdrum

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Like many of you, I received a free 1-year license for Zemana AntiLogger (great giveaway!). On their website they promote the software as being 32 or 64 bit. This is simply not true. The installer automatically places the software in x86 and I confirmed that the process is indeed 32-bit.

I emailed support about the issue and here is the exchange:

Me: After the installation completed I checked the running process and it's definitely running in 32-bit.'

Zemana: This does not cause a problem on working of AntiLogger and it works properly on 64-bit systems as well as on 32-bit systems. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Me: Almost any 32 bit software is "compatible" on 64 bit systems. That doesn't mean it is a 64 bit software as you advertise on your site. When do you expect Zemana AntiLogger to be running in true, native 64-bit?

Zemana: AntiLogger is fully functional under 64-bit systems. In fact the only module which doesn't have full functionality for 64-bit systems is the anti screen capture module. We are working on it and once ready it will be introduced with an automatic update.

As you can see from the exchange, not only is the software NOT running in native 64-bit but the anti-screen capture is not fully functional. This, to me, is a problem. Namely a security software that tells the user they are fully protected when they are not. I thought this needed to be posted here so that those who are using it on 64-bit machines can make informed decisions. Hopefully they release an update soon.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
Well...I have a 64-bit machine and Zemana AntiLogger worked fully and extremely functional on mine. I am truly sorry for the issues you are having with Zemana. Here's the way the Zemana website reads: "Platform: Windows XP\Vista\7\8 (32bit and 64bit)". I've always taken that to mean that it will run on a 32-bit and 64-bit system. The same thing goes for any website. So let's not slam Zemana too hard, as their software works exceptionally well. If the rest of the software is working and it's just one module, then wait until the module is complete. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

strumdrum

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I just tested Zemana Antilogger on my home PC running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. First I installed a known keylogger (isafe free ). This keylogger records keystrokes, clipboard, and screenshots. I then installed Zemana AntiLogger to see what it would do about a system that was already infected. It did NOT find the iSafe keylogger or alert me that I there was a threat. It DID encrypt my keystrokes but that's about it. My clipboard was still being logged and screenshots were still being stored in its system. Here is a screenshot of iSafe showing me a recorded screenshot of Zemana telling me I am safe from a screenlogger:
Capture.PNG

Next, I completely removed iSafe from my system to give Zemana a chance to catch it during the install. I then installed the keylogger with Zemana active and "protecting" my system. Nothing. It didn't catch the software and did not prevent it from logging my screenshots.

So yes, this concerns me. This is a well-known keylogger that Zemana did not catch or prevent from spying on my system. The only thing it did was encrypt my keystrokes (which the free version does just fine). I'm beginning to think this goes beyond a 64 bit issue. I'm willing to be optimistic about the next update but this is a serious problem.

Reactions: rienna

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
I installed both Zemana and iSafe onto my system, to experience what you did. It's very curious as to why AntiLogger did not catch it...unless it is not regarded as unsafe by Zemana (The following screen shot references that comment).
zemana1.jpg

I will let you know what Zemana tells me, as I put a question into their Support Department, about why AntiLogger does not catch the iSafe Keylogger program.

Here's some information directly off Zemana's support page (http://www.zemana.com/support/antilogger/) for AntiLogger:
"Zemana AntiLogger has only a single downloadable installer package for both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. The Zemana AntiLogger GUI process is 32-bit, but the kernel drivers are 64-bit on 64-bit Windows. The only side effect is that the binaries are placed in the 32-bit directory ("Program Files (x86)" on Windows x64). To install Zemana AntiLogger, simply download the set-up file of the latest version and run the installer package. It will then automatically select the appropriate edition of Zemana AntiLogger."

Also, they are working on the Anti-ScreenLogger module, so that it will work properly on 64-bit systems. Here's that information from Zemana's AntiLogger support page (http://www.zemana.com/support/antilogger/), as well:
"Almost. At present all AntiLogger modules are fully functional under 64-bit systems, except for the screen capture module, which provides only basic protection. Our engineering team is currently working to develop the screen capture module to be 64-bit compatible and, when ready, the module will be released with our regular product updates.

What does this mean? You still get protection against the most dangerous threats, such as key loggers and SSL banker Trojans; but until the module is ready, we would advise our customers who use 64-bit computers NOT to enter passwords and other sensitive information through on-screen virtual keyboards unless they are positive that the application providing the on-screen keyboard protects it really well"

I hope this helps somewhat, and I'm sorry if I came across rude...as I was not intending to be so. I truly would like to help you find some resolution to this issue. Thanks!! :)

Reactions: frogboy

strumdrum

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I truly would like to help you find some resolution to this issue.

Thanks for your help! This really is the best security forum around. I am looking forward to hearing Zemana's response to your inquiry.

It's very curious as to why AntiLogger did not catch it...unless it is not regarded as unsafe by Zemana (The following screen shot references that comment).

Zemana should block ANY keylogger no matter how safe they think it is. Look at the last option in the below screenshot.

Capture.PNG

This shows that Zemana should catch ALL keyloggers even if they are certified and were installed intentionally (ie employee monitoring).

Thanks again for the helpful response and I look forward to seeing how Zemana resolves the issue.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks for your help! This really is the best security forum around. I am looking forward to hearing Zemana's response to your inquiry.

Zemana should block ANY keylogger no matter how safe they think it is. Look at the last option in the below screenshot.

View attachment 7346

This shows that Zemana should catch ALL keyloggers even if they are certified and were installed intentionally (ie employee monitoring).

Thanks again for the helpful response and I look forward to seeing how Zemana resolves the issue.

I completely agree. I also took a look at that Panel, and though...."hmmm!!" We know that nothing is 100% perfect, however, that does not negate the fact that something that is projected to do a certain action, should do that action. :)

I'm also looking forward to Zemana's response. :)

And, you are welcome!! I'm always glad to help get something resolved, as I've been where I needed to get something resolved and could get no help from anyone. It is very frustrating, but if we can help to alleviate some of that frustration....then we'll do that!! :)

UPDATE: 2-4-2014.

Have not heard from Zemana Support, yet, and I'm not sure why. I suspect there is a good reason. Hopefully they will respond soon!!

Last edited:
Reactions: strumdrum

ImtheBest

Level 2
Verified
Oct 6, 2013
In Fact Zemana AntiLogger does work with 64bit WIndows 8.1.
wqAqV4U.png

(It Does not Do what we want it to do)
So i took the liberty to test it out like u did with isafe Antikeylogger free from CNET And must i say isafe is the worst program out. At least from CNet and Malware or spyware in it And when i installed it just as u said Zemana Antikeylogger did not popup to stop it.

Now stuck with this annoying leftovers. Maybe more malware from isafe. When i go to look for them locations there are none found in anyplace on C:\

GtcXh04.png

Now i have to make another thread to have somebody help me clean it up m8.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In Fact Zemana AntiLogger does work with 64bit WIndows 8.1.
(It Does not Do what we want it to do)
So i took the liberty to test it out like u did with isafe Antikeylogger free from CNET And must i say isafe is the worst program out. At least from CNet and Malware or spyware in it And when i installed it just as u said Zemana Antikeylogger did not popup to stop it.

Now stuck with this annoying leftovers. Maybe more malware from isafe. When i go to look for them locations there are none found in anyplace on C:\

Now i have to make another thread to have somebody help me clean it up m8.

It does work on a 64-bit OS but it is a 32-bit program.The additional info in your screenshot is your OS.

What did you use to uninstall the isafe program? Did you use a 3rd party Uninstaller such as IObit or Revo which allow you to scan for leftover items and delete them or just through the programs Uninstaller in Control Panel?

Reactions: Kent

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Found quite an interesting review on Zemana here:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/what-is-the-best-anti-keylogger-and-anti-screen-capture-software/

Makes me wonder if it´s the full version you´ve got since:
The “Free” version of Zemana AntiLogger only encrypt keystrokes and does not notify nor block any detected keylogging activity.
Another quote:
2. There are some people claiming that Zemana AntiLogger doesn’t work on 64-bit (x64) Windows. We were curious to find out if it is true, so we activated the keystroke logging from Revealer Keylogger Pro on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Zemana AntiLogger instantly block the action and display the security alert popup.
and something interesting:
Zemana seems to have a serious bug where all modules must be enabled for the protection to be active. For example, if the Anti-ScreenLogger is enabled but Anti-KeyLogger disabled, the hacker can still capture your screen. However when turning on Anti-KeyLogger, Zemana then detects the screen capture. The same thing happened when we only enabled System Defense but the rest of the protection modules were disabled, the keylogger is able to install without Zemana detecting any injection. So if you’re using Zemana AntiLogger, make sure that all protection modules are enabled.

and some testresults:
anti-keylogger-test.png

Reactions: strumdrum

strumdrum

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
That's a helpful review. Just by looking at the results will tell you a few things:

1. There is no anti-keylogger that will protect you fully against keyloggers.
  2. SpyShelter has superior protection compared to Zemana (Zemana only fully caught 3/12 keyloggers. ShyShelter fully caught 6/12).
  3. Don't use DataGuard.

I

illumination

Starting with Windows 8 64-bit, Microsoft effectively closed any third party software from funning at Kernel level, in the systemʼs core. This is where our sensors are based. In other words, this part of your computer is now guarded by your Windows 8.

Does this mean you are immune to information stealing malware? Not exactly. To ensure protection on Windows 8 64-bit computers, we have added keystroke encryption functionality, advanced protection against SSL intruding financial malware and signature-based detection of information stealing malware. This gives you a hybrid protection, combining a number of defense mechanisms and ensures your system is safe.

About Zemana

Infected

Level 1
Verified
Mar 1, 2015
Still isn't. Just avoid if your system is 64. The only thing that works is keystroke encryption, but no Firewall "allow or deny" window pops up & no "Unable to create hook" message either. This was the fully functional 15 day trial version. The Anti ScreenCapture and Anti WebCamLogger failed completely. Tested with SpyShelter security test tool and even fails using Zemana's own test tool. However I can confirm that SpyShelter Firewall works fully on the 64 bit systems, I have the lifetime license for that.

I'm using windows 8. If the software is fully compatible with 64 bit systems...

Sheltertest.png

A window should pop up... If this does not happen with paid (or 15 day trial) version of Zemana, then the software isn't fully compatible with your system.

To check if your system is 32 or 64... right click desktop >Personalise >Control Panel Home>System and Security>System

Test.png

Just go for SpyShelter (paid) instead if your system is 64 (free version only supports 32 & has less protections)

Last edited:

Infected

Level 1
Verified
Mar 1, 2015
People are reporting that Zemana AntiLogger works fine on Windows 7 64 bit systems. It must be a problem with Windows 8 64 systems. Just strange how SpyShelter works fine on Windows 8 64 systems but Zemana doesn't....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.