Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
tallorder, thank you for this informative alert!

All IE & Firefox users should upgraded from 16.0.0.287 to version 16.0.0.296 to patch this vulnerability.:)

Edit: I see there's now a Chrome update that addresses this. Thank you, @Rus Anca !:D
(I just updated!);)

Last edited:

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
I am so glad you came here! Will this post be up tomorrow, so it might save someone else some grief?

I am so glad you came here! Will this post be up tomorrow, so it might save someone else some grief?
It's my zzzzztime!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
To solve your issue:
"UPDATE 1/22: Firefox is now vulnerable as well. Any version of Internet Explorer or Firefox with any version of Windows can get targeted if Flash up to 16.0.0.287 (included) is installed and enabled.

UPDATE 1/27: The vulnerability has been fixed with update Version 16.0.0.296."

Go here and uses new update for Adobe Flash Player v.16.0.0.296 (#23):http://malwaretips.com/threads/adobe-flash-player-update-thread-current-16-0-0-296.26958/page-2
Well, I removed Adobe Flash player, as I am sure my version was ancient, and will need to just get it again. I never knew to update anything besides the automatic updates, and I would just say ..'yes'. Thanks!

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well, I removed Adobe Flash player, as I am sure my version was ancient, and will need to just get it again. I never knew to update anything besides the automatic updates, and I would just say ..'yes'. Thanks!
For your most common updates i would like to suggest PatchMyPc it a great little tool that doesn't even install you just run it and it checks for updates in the background just run it once a week like i do. Give it a go trust me. ;):D Here is a link. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/patch_my_pc.html

Last edited:

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Ok, frogboy, I am there, and don't know what to tell it! Here is what it is telling me:
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1 - 12.1.0.150
Google Chrome - 40.0.2214.93
Mozilla Firefox 35.0 (x86 en-US) - 35.0
MPC-HC 1.7.0 - 1.7.0.7858
These all need updating!

And Adobe AIR is installed 2x

14 apps to install, 6 apps to update. Then it goes to OPTIONS: (don't update these apps), and is asking if I want to click any on... followed by : ...save log location, create restore point, delete desktop shortcuts, disable Patch my PC log, disable patch my PC, ...enable beta channel, keep application installers after exiting, kill applications automatically when updating them, minimize to system tray when updates start, minimize to system tray when minimized, restart after update operations, run windows update check after performing any update operations, (and) shutdown after update. Not sure how to proceed! Thx friend! I can't believe you put this up!!!

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I personally use Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
It runs in the background in real time so you don't need to remember to run it every week and when updates or patches are found, you just click on that particular program/function or whatever and you get taken to the update page, etc. Very easy to use.
**NOTE** It will tell you about some driver or whatever called Microsoft XML Core being out of date. Ignore that one - it can't be patched and is a waste of time trying to... ;)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
This what you should see. Click at the bottom and it will do the updates for you.
Untitledxx.png

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I personally use Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
It runs in the background in real time so you don't need to remember to run it every week and when updates or patches are found, you just click on that particular program/function or whatever and you get taken to the update page, etc. Very easy to use.
**NOTE** It will tell you about some driver or whatever called Microsoft XML Core being out of date. Ignore that one - it can't be patched and is a waste of time trying to... ;)
I have tried Secunia before but had some trouble with now go with something that does not run in the background all the time.:)

Reactions: tallorder

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
This what you should see. Click at the bottom and it will do the updates for you.View attachment 44406
Hi, thanks! You know, for awhile now, the screen font has been so large, that click section was 90% off the page. I used to know how to reduce it by a smal amount, but don't remember. used to need it on my last computer!
I have tried Secunia before but had some trouble with now go with something that does not run in the background all the time.:)
me, too. Had problems with Secunia and removed it!

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Well, my friend, here is the report of what just went on, and some went well, and then I got a severe warning from Microsoft to not download itunes, as system will crash... After that, there was some problem with Adguard, and MSoft wanted me to send the error report in, but haven't yet. Patch my PC is really, really great! Love it! It was unable to verify Google Chrome URL or size, or Adobe Shockwave URL or size, so aborted on those.

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Does that mean someone put Windows on here, or Shockwave on here? Because, if so, I can't even turn my computer over to experts to get it running smoothly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.