Zero-day detection of Bitdefender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi all,
We all know that BD's detection rates is one among the best in the market and we also know that BD's update sizes are very very large:mad:I have a doubt in my mind now that their detection rates are due to their updates only .How is their zero-day detection of new malware?i.e)their heuristic engine;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you will take some results by the independent organization, its like they are on a fraction percentage with other software if heuristics engine are used since primarily purpose are from its behavior itself of a virus but that's may vary from the test conduct by a reviewer.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
maaster said:
we also know that BD's update sizes are very very large

Lol what? :)
I always had 9, 7 or 3 mb updates when I had it installed.
Sure sometimes it downloaded a 20meg update but the majority were small updates.

One saturday I got 3 separate small updates in less than half an hour. (one being in the range of 500kb)

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
avastalicious said:
maaster said:
we also know that BD's update sizes are very very large

Lol what? :)
I always had 9, 7 or 3 mb updates when I had it installed.
Sure sometimes it downloaded a 20meg update but the majority were small updates.

One saturday I got 3 separate small updates in less than half an hour. (one being in the range of 500kb)

turn off the automatic update and update BD at the end of the day...you will see that it update size to be 30-35 MB..on the other hand Eset and kaspersky updates are about 20-25 MB per week!
we cannot schedule updates in Bitdefender because it must be kept on updated to detect malwares...

spywar said:
B-HAVE emulates suspicious process no ?

what is B-have?

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
maaster said:
turn off the automatic update and update BD at the end of the day...you will see that it update size to be 30-35 MB..on the other hand Eset and kaspersky updates are about 20-25 MB per week!

Why would I turn off automatic updates? Bitdefender updates many times per day by itself. I didn't just power on my PC for a hour every day, I kept it on for a long time.

Btw, Kaspersky, really.. Bitdefender updates downloaded extremely fast no matter the size, not so much to say about Kaspersky. By the time I downloaded a 100mb package from Kaspersky servers, I would get a 1gb file from the Bitdefender ones.

Anyways, I'm playing around with Windows Defender in Windows 8 now and don't have BIS2013 installed.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
avastalicious said:
maaster said:

Why would I turn off automatic updates? Bitdefender updates many times per day by itself. I didn't just power on my PC for a hour every day, I kept it on for a long time.

Btw, Kaspersky, really.. Bitdefender updates downloaded extremely fast no matter the size, not so much to say about Kaspersky. By the time I downloaded a 100mb package from Kaspersky servers, I would get a 1gb file from the Bitdefender ones.

Anyways, I'm playing around with Windows Defender in Windows 8 now and don't have BIS2013 installed.

I requested u to turn off that to find out the final update size per day...if one has a limited usage internet connection then sizes do become important...
but my question is how BD performs in zero day detection?I am sure some AV testers would have done that...can someone provide me links?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Zero Day Daily test

Its like an independent testing organization/foundation, where every product tests measure with on going zero day detection results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.