Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Info Security said:
When it comes to buggy home LANs in the US, the rate of home network infections actually decreased from 13% to 11% in the fourth quarter of 2012 – translating to about one in 10 households. But out of that, 6% exhibited high-level threats, such as bots, rootkits and banking trojans, while moderate-level threats included spyware, browser hijackers and adware.

For all of 2012, 13% of home networks in North America were infected with malware, with 7% of broadband customers infected with high-level threats.

According to the Kindsight Security Labs Malware Report for Q4 2012, the ZeroAccess botnet continued to be the most common malware threat in the quarter, infecting 0.8% of broadband households. The firm found ZeroAccess to be present in about 2.2 million home networks worldwide, while in the US alone, approximately 685,000 users are infected, or one in 125 home networks.

Botnets were responsible for four of the top five high-level threats on home networks in the full year of 2012, including ZeroAccess, TDSS, Alureon and Flashback. Almost 50% of infected home networks had a botnet issue in 2012.

Read more: http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/30779/zeroaccess-is-top-bot-in-home-networks/

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
I read somewhere that Microsoft included the removal of ZA rootkit in its monthly malicious removal tool released on patch Tuesdays, starting February 2013. I don't remember where I read it from.. can someone confirm that?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.