Zippyshare Malware Vault

H

hjlbx

Hello friends. I'm playing with some malware from Malware Vault in a Virtualbox image of Windows 7. When i try to download some pack from zippyshare links, usually open a new tab with a scareware alerts... Is there any way to block this tabs? I wonder if i could do this with Ublock Origin. Thanks

Regards

Just keep it simple: use an adblocker like uBlock Origin or Adguard.

You will not encounter a webpage redirect on every single Zippy download URL.

H

hjlbx

There is no need to create a huge, complicated uBlock Origin filter list that will do nothing but slow down browsing.

Plus, there is a lot of overlap between those various lists.

Finally, you will not see a redirect on every single Zippyshare download URL - so it is nothing to really fret about.

uBlock Origin and Adguard defaults will block most - if not all - of the Zippyshare ads.

IF there is an element that a user finds unacceptable, then that user can use the element picker to create an element-specific filter to block the loading of the offending element(s).

I don't undeerstand how and why simple things get so convoluted...

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Finally, you will not see a redirect on every single Zippyshare download URL - so it is nothing to really fret about.
I would just like to add to this discussion that Zippyshares links on this site are not limited to the MalwareHub as I found out to my cost before becoming a member of this site.

I was Googling for details of the Windows 10 Defender PUP patch and one of the links brought me to this site. At the head of the post was a link to download a reg patch. I clicked on the link and was taken to Zippyshare where I clicked on the download button. Immediately after doing so I was presented with the fake virus alert and with a popup which froze my browser. Being alarmed and concerned about what was going to happen next, I immediately killed my browser from Task Manager. Breathing a sigh of relief that nothing untoward had happened, I opened my browser again. To my dismay the page loaded again and I was back with the same problem.

Now I know you'll all say why didn't I have an adblocker installed but the truth is not everyone (including me at the time) is aware these addons even exist. Now being tech savy, I was able to fix the problem myself, but if this had happened to my Dad or a family friend, then they wouldn't have known what to do.

So in my opinion we need to make sure Zippyshare links are only used in the MalwareHub.

Last edited:

Malakke

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
I was Googling for details of the Windows 10 Defender PUP patch and one of the links brought me to this site. At the head of the post was a link to download a reg patch. I clicked on the link and was taken to Zippyshare where I clicked on the download button. Immediately after doing so I was presented with the fake virus alert and with a popup which froze my browser. Being alarmed and concerned about what was going to happen next, I immediately killed my browser from Task Manager. Breathing a sigh of relief that nothing untoward had happened, I opened my browser again. To my dismay the page loaded again and I was back with the same problem.

That's exactly what it's happen sometimes when you click Download (i had the browser frozen too). First time it was without adblocker (IExplorer), but today it was with Ublock Origin installed (default lists)... I've learned to right click and Save as, and problem is gone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.