App Review Zone Alarm Free Firewall Malware Prevention test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
If I am not wrong Zonealarm Free only provides Network Firewall and in that case this test is useless.

P.S. I did not notice they have added application control in firewall. So please ignore my above comment. ( I do now know how to strike through that line :p:p:p)

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
If I am not wrong Zonealarm Free only provides Network Firewall and in that case this test is useless.
Zone Alarm Free does come with a antivirus but you have to install it. It does not come installed by default and in this test it was not enabled. So it was just the firewall.

Reactions: upnorth and Kuttz
D

Deleted member 178

Firewall is not an antivirus or antimalware. It's design and use to prevent unauthorized users access to your PC, therefore this test video is futile.

i guess you didn't even watch the video , or were busy when he said that he test the antimalware ability of it:

The point of this test was to demonstrate if this product can compliment a signature based AV and protect the system against malware (I made it clear in the title), there are other Firewall products that do it successfully and since this product claims to have that capability, I think the test is completely justified.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Great video showing that on default settings
. So please ignore my above comment. ( I do now know how to strike through that line :p:p:p)

Lol neither do I:D

ZA let a malware through and even on advanced settings the app-control was way to chatty interfering with legit programs a la HMP.

Even if the av was enabled I`d bet Privatefirewall would whip it`s ass on default settings, imho.:cool:

Regards Eck:)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I agree with Umbra on this as it's clearly mentioned in the video that this is a compliment but I also understand the views that this shouldn't really be tested directly against malware as it's not an AV. The test shows this products " Outbound " protection. It's plain and simple an extra security layer but a very poor one and that's good to know but it's " Inbound " protection would not surprise me work as it should. IMO if you got something malicious on your machine you probably already done something wrong elsewhere as your protection layers didn't work.

Thanks for the share Andrew999.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Zonealarm Firewall capabilities are much different compare to Comodo Firewall and Private Firewall, cause in today's landscape it needs to bind with strong concepts like HIPS.

Moreover, the product literally blocks connection related activity which that's the suppose product do.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.