Battle ZoneAlarm IS vs AVG Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild76

both have their pro's and cons , but if I have to choose it must be zonealarm because of better detection and stability. AVG has a lot of work to do on both fronts , have mentioned this to them numerous times during skype meetings with the former advocacy / community manager and tony anscomb....but to this day.......still no improvement!!!!! shame because i still like it.

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Neither of them. Poor products, especially Zone Alarm. This could be still good for firewall capabilities but, the antivirus engine is so poor, poorer than MSE. AVG is as good as Avira, but at ”Usuability” point, it's weak. Go to another antivirus / internet security suite, better than ZoneAlarm or AVG

Reactions: omidomi and Oxygen
S

starchild76

strange that zonealarm has such low detection rates , even it does use an older kasperky engine , can someone elaborate why this is possible. AVG'S problem : zeroday component questionable , sometimes it does good , somtimes it does not , plus AVG relies heavilly on signature detection. even if if you tweak AVG to the max , its not much different than its standart settings!

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I very much like ZoneAlarm as a firewall/HIPS. You can also use the ZA+AV product, which has good detection rates (maybe not the very latest Kaspersky, but still a Kaspersky) with the real-time protection off, and couple it with a lighter AV for real-time, such as avast!, and have a solid light combo, with ZA's AV as a good second opinion scanner, or just use the full suite on, which is not a bad product, although the AV is a little sluggish for real-time (similar to FortiClient), but not too slow, so if you don't mind a few seconds' difference, you won't notice.

AVG isn't bad either, but I have less experience with it to comment.

Edward ST

Level 3
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
strange that zonealarm has such low detection rates , even it does use an older kasperky engine , can someone elaborate why this is possible. AVG'S problem : zeroday component questionable , sometimes it does good , somtimes it does not , plus AVG relies heavilly on signature detection. even if if you tweak AVG to the max , its not much different than its standart settings!

That's why ZoneAlarm is so poor; it uses a very old Kaspersky engine. Without this, Zone could have dissapeared. It's useless without Kaspersky.

Reactions: omidomi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.