Antivirus which can disinfect valid files without deleting them

S

sinu

Thread author
Usually i use to help my friends when they are stuck with there PC due to virus infection and most of the time AV will remove the virus but at the same time some valid files will be deleted.

my question is there any AV which can disinfect the valid files( pdf, doc, xls etc) without deleting it ?

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Dr.Web & Kaspersky have been my top choices over the years for disinfection.

I remember a specific .exe virus (Win32.Vitro/Virut.CF) which infected my entire system in late 2000s. Dr.Web did an amazing job cleaning the virus code without damaging those exe s. On another pc, Kaspersky was able to fix some of those files while Avast deleted all the exe s.

Last edited:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Although I have not ever used Dr.Web, I agree that this antivirus is famous for disinfection.
However, I also heard that Dr.Web would use significant CPU resource, even in the idle time.

S

sinu

Thread author
I rly dont get ur question..If u are saying for example a pdf exploit (which file is infected) no, its not possible..Cause the purpose of the file is to infect u..is not a legit pdf.
Sorry bad english
i am not saying pdf exploit what i mean is when a virus infects any document which may pdf or doc which AV can disinfect those infected document without deleting

H

hjlbx

Thread author
i am not saying pdf exploit what i mean is when a virus infects any document which may pdf or doc which AV can disinfect those infected document without deleting

Can't do that ! Disinfection might damage the document completely beyond repair - so AVs don't do it - and - if they attempt to - might not remove the malcode completely. It's a dicey affair - infected PDFs and docs...

That's why it is important to backup important documents - so you have earlier version to revert to - just in case.

There is no reliable way to disinfect and already infected PDF or doc = best to just leave them alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
i use dr web, it's great at removal but is slow in the removal process.
avast improves removal but is not the best. According Av comparatives, Kaspersky is on top.

Reactions: Daniel Hidalgo

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Will malicious code append itself to a file such as docx or pdf OR will it create a backup copy of original file, hides it and append itself to newly created file, correct me, if I'm wrong.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Will malicious code append itself to a file such as docx or pdf OR will it create a backup copy of original file, hides it and append itself to newly created file, correct me, if I'm wrong.

Malicious code will be saved\copied the same as safe\legitimate code...

Malcode doesn't auto-append itself to PDF\doc; it is added by human effort = The Malware Author...

Did I understand you correctly @Vasudev ?

Last edited by a moderator:

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
Although I have not ever used Dr.Web, I agree that this antivirus is famous for disinfection.
However, I also heard that Dr.Web would use significant CPU resource, even in the idle time.

drweb uses 50% of cpu when scanning but when disinfecting it may use 25 to 50 percent of resources available. but disinfection part it always try to cure if then it fails then only it will ask for deletion. i idle time 1% of resource usage will there that is normal i believe.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Malicious code will be saved\copied the same as safe\legitimate code...

Malcode doesn't auto-append itself to PDF\doc; it is added by human effort = The Malware Author...

Did I understand you correctly @Vasudev ?
Say, I've a file named WindowsExploits.pdf(pun intended) and a malware infects the same file, will I find a backup copy of original file if my boot into linux?

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
360 have some kind of healing-disinfection...?
I'm a huge fan of 360TSE & have been tinkering around it for some time. But I haven't noticed any healing ability as 360cloud detects most of the malware and quarantine them in seconds.
Say, I've a file named WindowsExploits.pdf(pun intended) and a malware infects the same file, will I find a backup copy of original file if my boot into linux?
I don't think you will find a backup copy because most injector type viruses will append its code to the original file. However, you might be referring to those poorly coded malware, which will hide the original file and display a bunch of invalid shortcuts.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I tested 360 long ago and (for example) on a folder with 100 malware 360 sad that is detected and cleaned 90 but when you check the folder you see 80, when check that folder with hitmanpro or MBAM/EEK they also detect only 10.
Try to run this 10 samples they don't work.
360 removes malicious code from file but it didn't remove the file.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.