Battle Best Antivirus 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodo

Mar 6, 2015
Voted for Eset and Kaspersky. But i should say i find it suspicious that emsisoft is placed second in the poll. I have nothing against them but i have never even heard the product before.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I vote bitdefender.
I think you should consider bitdefender in your poll. :)

I was looking to vote for Comodo ... and yeah Bitdefender is another missing link in there. Another great one is Avast.

VOTED: Avast / Avira ... gets my vote :)

WARNING: Haven't tried these yet Qihoo / Panda or any PAID $$

As we all know there's no BEST AV, it's not possible to reach 100% safety... but there can be a favorite! I know I have 'em, and that's how I look at this poll.

Reactions: frogboy

hacheafleur

Level 1
Apr 14, 2015
Hi,

In terms of security:

• Do not surf with administrator rights
  • Do not disable UAC
  • Do not install anything ...:
  • Social engineering
  • What the PUP / LPIS
  • Malware vector advertising banners
  • Do not be fooled by the fake security alerts
Do not use unknown Proxies: Anonymity on the Internet with Proxy WEB

• First elementary safety rule: think before you click. The files / programs is like candy when it comes from a stranger, we do not accept.

The antivirus is never the last wall.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I disagree that such threads should be banned. In my view, censorship is just as counter-productive as any tiresome post.

I know that these threads are a bit tiring for some members and they don't like them but in my opinion the solution is pretty easy.

If you don't like a thread don't participate.

Because there are other members that they want to enter in this so called battle "which is better..." and they want to say their opinion.

Don't get me wrong anyone should say what they think but for me if i don't like a thread i don't participate.

Heartily agreed! Let Wilders be Wilders and let MalwareTips be MalwareTips.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One question,though...

Any reason Comodo wasn't considered?

Probably the OP forgot to add more selection, any Antivirus can be deserve to be best and that depends on how it perform; therefore everything should check twice or more on the result basis.

Comodo is known for such strong via proper configuration.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Probably the OP forgot to add more selection, any Antivirus can be deserve to be best and that depends on how it perform; therefore everything should check twice or more on the result basis.

Comodo is known for such strong via proper configuration.

@ALL
More importantly the best AV does actually exist yes you all did hear it correctly the perfect AV does exist.
However the perfect computer config where this perfect AV is going to be installed on does not.
So after reading some really great comments, and some utter BS comments we all need to ask our self the question:
Which AV would fit my current config? Because ANY AV program that is being commercially sold and being tested will provide you with exactly the same baseline protection. Keep in mind certifications do have their uses as it proofs that AV X does catch all viruses in the wild or has achieved a sufficient level in order to be granted such certification. So based upon that one could say that every single AV program will provide you at least with that "baseline" security standard and each of those programs will do that in their own way and have different cons and pro's but in the end the same baseline level is achieved.
That being said, your computer config, habits, routine and your own needs and expectations will give you a option between a few AV brands that would fit on your PC. And while technically ANY av can run on your pc and achieve a baseline security level, the fact is that one brand runs better then the other and this is due the variables i did explain above.
So for one person Kaspersky is the right choice and performs perfect or close to it, while a other AV might run different on that same system.
Keep in mind you are the one that did install your PC, you are the one that did config it, and you are the one knowing exactly what you need and expect. You know exactly which protection you need based upon your config.
Which effectively means that while every AV is pretty much the same, they all might run different on your PC and thus each AV is different.
So after all this out of the 30+ brands out there, you may choose from 2 or 3 brands that would fit your config and will run much better then other brands.

Why do you all think that companies and organisations hire a security / IT guy if they are going to install a network wide AV?
Its not just money and its not just protection against malware. There is a whole science behind it.
As some of you know our own networks are protected by SEP (Symantec EP) and prior to that we used (Sophos EP) and both programs did run so much better then anything we ever tested and installed.
We tried Kaspersky (FAIL!!!!) we tried ESET (Bigger FAIL) we tried Mcafee (Nightmare!!!) we tried F-Secure (Please euthanize me!!!)
Ohh and then we have Bitdefender (Just committed suicide OMG epic fail!!)

WAIT what? Nico did you just say that all these brands are bad compared to Sym and Sop? Hell no i never said that, but if you read back you will see that i said something about the fact that each computer config is different and as such it means that not every AV will be able to deliver the performance and security it claims (Or you do expect).
So with all do respect and please no hard feelings intended but topics like the best AV...really?
Most users just follow the herd and install the flavor of the day, then they open up task manager to see the ram usage of their newly acquired AV program and then they are hitting the internet in search of tweaks.
After making the changes they did find on the internet they hit some malware site, download like 300 malware packs and then have their AV scan it. After this they are still not satisfied, because within the UI of their AV they did see words like: Aggressive, Max Performance, Epic Detection click this button. Or they look at the firewall setting and see all kinds of switches and buttons.
So let me put that in perspective:
Example:
Out of the 100 people that might read this topic, just 50 of them might reply. Out of the 50 who did reply only 5 actually do understand what these settings are about.

Now i do not want to sound like a troll or like a person that is making a effort here to discredit people, but just look here on the forum, use the search function and search for BEST or Best Av topics. Then start reading them and you will see that some of the people here who replied claiming that AV X is the best (Plus a whole motivation why) actually said last week that AV B is the best.
I do not mind topic's like this but i would encourage investigating your AV program from a different perspective. Stop using the standard criteria like: Performance or individual features really its getting old.

So let me give some advise here:

You know you need antivirus, but with so many from which to choose, how do you know which antivirus software is best suited for your config?
The first step is obvious: narrow your options based on the operating system you use. If you're planning to upgrade in the near future (or downgrade), take that into consideration as well
Second, assess how you use your computer. Are you a heavy Web surfer? A gamer? Have an older computer?
How you use your computer will dictate the level of protection you need. For example, a gamer will appreciate antivirus software that recognizes when games or media are being played and suppresses any non-essential alerts or activities. Someone with an older computer will likely need to be concerned with system impact and performance, as well as facing the added challenge of finding antivirus that supports the older operating system.

Third, once you've narrowed the list to those that meet your operating system and usage needs, check the major certification and testing agencies to see how the antivirus scanners fare. Agencies include VB100%, Checkmark, ICSA Labs, AV-Test, AV-Comparatives, and NSS Labs. Any antivirus scanner worth consideration should be listed by most of these antivirus testing agencies.

Fourth: detection, detection, detection. (Because many do not know but detection usually means removal)
After all, this is the only reason you're getting antivirus software - to prevent and detect viruses & malware.

Fifth: last but not least, evaluate. Narrow the selection down to 2 or maybe 3 antivirus scanners, then proceed to test each one. This may seem tedious, but it can save you a lot of anxiety (and hard-earned cash) if you take the time to try it first. No matter how well the antivirus software vendors try, every computer system is unique and most antivirus scanners may just not play nice on your computer. It's important to find this out before you make the purchase.

Closing note: Because 300 people wrote AV X is the best does not mean it will be equally good on your PC. And neither does it mean that 300 bad reviews mean that it sucks.
And please try to use your AV program as it is created to be used, keep in mind its not a swiss army knife and neither is it doctor gadget. research your AV program and read up on how to use it.

Anyway guys i am sorry if i sounded harsh.

Cheers

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

One question,though...

Any reason Comodo wasn't considered?

I think not so popular here at MT...

I use it. I know Yigido uses it.

Properly configured it does a good job on my specific system - despite being very weak in web protections; I supplement it with PeerBlock.

It can protect against many things, but not everything.

Reactions: starchild76

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Hardly any love for F-Secure. This means one of two things: Hardly any people use it or just go with the majority on other security solutions. F-Secure has a good protection (deepguard) and decent signatures.

Avast would get some love if they didn't force for starters their "ads", forcing users to go silent mode (those who use the free version). Also avast seem to be the one solution which has most users pointing out issues, Comodo being a close second (just look at the forums).

Every solution has its pros and cons. Despite majority voting ESET, it is very well known that its HIPS modules is far from mature, despite the now included Smart Mode.

Kaspersky worked hard on resource usage, so it is lighter than previous versions, but still a bit daunting configuring it properly for the average joe.

Symantec: a full switch which was to be expected, so nothing to add here.

Trend remains as usable as it has always been for past few years.

Panda is nothing to write home about but decent enough for the average user.

Emsisoft is known for its detection rate + their BB (god dont I miss Mamutu), but still has the Achilles Heel: its performance despite being way better than previous versions.

Avira/Qihoo: Haven't used much of Avira to comment. As for Qihoo, will be a bit skeptical but somehow do not trust such company. Personal opinion, no intention to offend any user.

Reactions: Cehson and jamescv7

Emers

May 12, 2015
Hi,

In terms of security:

• Do not surf with administrator rights
  • Do not disable UAC
  • Do not install anything ...:
  • Social engineering
  • What the PUP / LPIS
  • Malware vector advertising banners
  • Do not be fooled by the fake security alerts
Do not use unknown Proxies: Anonymity on the Internet with Proxy WEB

• First elementary safety rule: think before you click. The files / programs is like candy when it comes from a stranger, we do not accept.

The antivirus is never the last wall.
All those stuff isnt last wall either there is alot vulnerabilitys not only in software but also in hardware against which best Antiviruses is totally useless . And what is most important is that hardware vulnerabilitys cannot be fixed by updating software. The only good protection is not storing your important personal data on PCs with USB or Internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.