Bitdefender Free vs 21 malware samples.

Product name
Bitdefender Free
Pros
  • It's free.
    Detected 9 items and quarantined them on opening.
    Detected 4 more items on execution.
    Also, HitmanPro.Alert blocked and deleted an ID stealer trojan. Nice to know it works.
CONS
Let a rogue AV install, which blocked IE11 and effectively locked the machine.
Scanned with HitmanPro - found 7 infections.
Scanned with MalwareBytes - found 20 infections.
BOTTOM LINE
The rogue AV went through Bitdefender Free like crap through a goose - really quickly and unblocked.
BDF doesn't seem to have much zero-day protection, behavior blocking was poor, also.
I'm giving it a 2, but probably deserves a 1. Locked computers are a no-no.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
There are better choices for a free AV than Bitdefender Free.
I had several screen shots of all the action, but the rogue locked it all up. I was using Toolwiz Time Freeze, so on reboot, it all goes away.
Thanks to yigido - I used one of his packs. Excellent!

Last edited:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I used it. Here are my observations

Pros
1. Very light.
2. Everything Automated.
3. Fair detection.
4. Web blocking is good.

Cons
1. Expected better detection when it has Bitdefender Signatures.
2. No controls At all. You can't even control ondemand scans.
3. My system got infected with lots of virus when I put on one USB stick which had viruses.
4. Though bitdefender is claming it has behavioral blocker I don't think it's effective.

For me it's a strict NO when it comes to Bitdefender free. Even MSE is much better than this.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
I used it. Here are my observations

Pros
1. Very light.
2. Everything Automated.
3. Fair detection.
4. Web blocking is good.

Cons
1. Expected better detection when it has Bitdefender Signatures.
2. No controls At all. You can't even control ondemand scans.
3. My system got infected with lots of virus when I put on one USB stick which had viruses.
4. Though bitdefender is claming it has behavioral blocker I don't think it's effective.

For me it's a strict NO when it comes to Bitdefender free. Even MSE is much better than this.

Yes, light and url filter is good.
I was so surprised how poorly it performed, I forgot to list those. Agree with your other points, too.
Thanks.

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
It wasn't so bad when i tried this product... It has (had) a lot of potential :(
It could become a strong presence into the free AVs category taking Bitdefender a strongest reputation.

Looking at the evidences, it seems that BD prefers selling its engine that developing this product.. :confused:

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.