Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 Review (Level 6- Chromatinfish's Choice)

Product name
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9
Pros
  • -Improved User Interface
    -Great Prevention
    -Layered Protection
    -Nice Detection
CONS
-Kind of heavy
BOTTOM LINE
I've used and tested Emsisoft the longest, for over 3 months, before feeling confident to writing this review. It's definitely worth the money! It's worth the Chromatinfish's Choice award.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 is $39.95 for a license for 1 year. Members constantly rate it high and MT tests seem to prove it's one of the top performers.

User Interface (5 points)
Emsisoft's User Interface was a nice refresh of the modern UI. Unlike most user interfaces, everything is quick to get to and not really like Kaspersky's and Norton's horrible all-metro interface which needs several clicks. The UI is fast and very stable, not like Webroot's. User Interface: 5 out of 5 points

Malware Prevention (10 points)
Emsisoft is a pro at this. It has a web shield as the first defense, file guard for the second (to make sure files aren't modified), and behavior blocker to stop suspicious activities. Its BB doesn't flag any false positives, and file guard was quite effective. Malware Prevention: 10 out of 10 points

Malware Detection (8 points)
Emsisoft is great at this too. According to my references, Emsisoft receives high ratings from everybody. Emsisoft recieved a good rating from my own PUP test too. Malware Detection: 8 out of 8 points

Performance (8 points)
Emsisoft is pretty good at performance, albeit not as good as ESET and Webroot, Emsisoft outperforms Avast!, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky, and BitDefender. I've used it for about 3 months as my companion AV without any slowdowns. Performance: 6 out of 8 points
*Chromatinfish's Choice For Antivirus*

Total Points Possible: 31 points
Total Points Earned: 29 points
Levels:
Dismal: 0-6 points
Poor: 7-10 points
Fair: 11-16 points
Good: 17-22 points
Very Good: 23-27 points
Chromatinfish's Choice: 28-31 points

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Disable it and Emsisoft will use more RAM. It's just a way to hide the real RAM usage.
Detection rate of Emsisoft's own scan engine standalone can't be measured at all because Emsisoft disables their own signatures for all files that are already detected by Bitdefender to avoid high memory consumption. Effective memory use is around 200 MB to keep the 200 MB of signatures in RAM. By using the memory optimization feature it usually can be reduced to 15-20 MB by using the pagefile.

Millions of signatures need to be loaded somewhere and there is no way to avoid that completely without a loss in detection capabilities or performance.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Detection rate of Emsisoft's own scan engine standalone can't be measured at all because Emsisoft disables their own signatures for all files that are already detected by Bitdefender to avoid high memory consumption. Effective memory use is around 200 MB to keep the 200 MB of signatures in RAM. By using the memory optimization feature it usually can be reduced to 15-20 MB by using the pagefile.

Millions of signatures need to be loaded somewhere and there is no way to avoid that completely without a loss in detection capabilities or performance.
Well, nice explanation there bro!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.