Erycina's Config

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Update: Comodo's AV is definitely not that great, to be honest. However, I do know that it's considered the last-resort feature in case the auto-sandboxing, virusscope, etc. features fail to detect anything (I have yet to see that happen). So until Comodo decides to ramp it up with the AV, I decided to just stick with the CFW part of it with same settings (mentioned above), along with VS and cloud features turned on. I am still keeping my hosts file for the web filter part of it, too. Tried the Bitdefender virus scanner, but I still believe that Zemana and HMPA3 are more than enough on this computer. Slimjet's a bit quirky on my machine, so I reinstalled Opera 29.0 since it's more stable on my end. Kept UAC on 'always notify' as well...

This seems like a reasonable thing and many recommend it. I think @cruelsister recommends this in her really helpful Comodo set-up videos. I have the AV component installed with Comodo and most of the time it just sits there at around 2mb of RAM. Would probably just use firewall, but I think I am required to have an AV for accessing some work stuff. Nice set-up! HitmanPro.Alert and Comodo go really well together.

Reactions: Erycina

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
This seems like a reasonable thing and many recommend it. I think @cruelsister recommends this in her really helpful Comodo set-up videos. I have the AV component installed with Comodo and most of the time it just sits there at around 2mb of RAM. Would probably just use firewall, but I think I am required to have an AV for accessing some work stuff. Nice set-up! HitmanPro.Alert and Comodo go really well together.

My job also requires some sort of AV as well. When I enabled the cloud and VS features of CFW (I had them disabled previously), my work programs were able to recognize CFW as an acceptable security software, so I basically uninstalled the actual AV part. Really depends on which programs you're using for work, though...

Reactions: Nirv5668

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
My job also requires some sort of AV as well. When I enabled the cloud and VS features of CFW (I had them disabled previously), my work programs were able to recognize CFW as an acceptable security software, so I basically uninstalled the actual AV part. Really depends on which programs you're using for work, though...

This is really good to know. I didn't think about the cloud AV for that requirement, but may be worth a try! Do you find there is a performance improvement without the AV?

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
The configuration is currently good as it, I have no recommendations at the moment.

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
Replaced PaleMoon and Opera with Firefox and Chrome as some work sites I need to navigate to were not rendered properly by previous browsers. Switched PDF-Xchange out for the original Adobe Reader.

And a big thumbs up to cruelsister for her useful vids on CFW, as well as other MT members who took the time to write out similar guidelines for other security programs, browsers, etc... you know who you are. Happy weekend, folks...

Reactions: Oxygen

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
Due to CFW's inconsistent performance with Citrix (work stuff), I switched over to Norton Security as my real-time protection with HMPA3 (paid) and VS (free). The latest Chrome and Opera versions are pretty good with HTML5 material, so I will be using them on my Asus for a while. UAC's disabled, due to VS... everything else stays the same.

H

hjlbx

Hello Enrycina,

I see the changes you have made...

Your current config is well thought and measured.

Adapting config to find what works best on your specific system - and for you - is a good thing.

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
A very good configuration, I'd like to recommend Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

Yes, I have tried Kaspersky in all its forms, including the 2015 version. Maybe it's my i3 or 6GB of RAM, but Kaspersky brings my current system to a crawl. May want to try it out again when I upgrade to a better PC later this year (one with an i7 and tons of RAM... mostly for gaming)...

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
Hello Enrycina,

I see the changes you have made...

Your current config is well thought and measured.

Adapting config to find what works best on your specific system - and for you - is a good thing.

Thank you for the constructive feedback! Finding the right config for a specific machine is like finding the appropriate outfit for a particular type of situation... there's no one-size-fits-all. I'll give this setup about a week or two... and see how everything plays out.

On another note, my work programs and VPN (I work tech support at home and perform some programming, gaming, etc. on the side) require certain security software that are compatible. One of them is Norton Security, which I'm testing at the moment... another soft is Avira and AVG. AVG chokes my system after a while (initially it's smooth sailing), so I uninstalled it. I've tried Avira Free but would like to "upgrade" to the Avira AV Pro version. I understand that it uses the Win Firewall as well, and I am fine with that as long as there's some control over any outgoing connections. Is the Pro a worthy purchase? I need certain features, such as email protection, some support from the Avira team (for anything that requires more than basic/medium troubleshooting) and credit card/identity protection. I don't mind paying for excellent quality products as long as they deliver on their promise. I also prefer using a complete security suite over dealing with individual programs. If it helps, I also paid for the Binisoft WFC, so I can use that as well for another customized setup. The reason I even inquired about Avira Pro is because there is no trial version available for it, so I would like feedback from anyone who tried it first before I shell out the money.

All constructive comments, feedback, etc. are welcomed... thanks in advance.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Is the Pro a worthy purchase? I need certain features, such as email protection, some support from the Avira team (for anything that requires more than basic/medium troubleshooting) and credit card/identity protection. I don't mind paying for excellent quality products as long as they deliver on their promise. I also prefer using a complete security suite over dealing with individual programs.

Avira Pro does not meet your criteria. In my experience the Pro version offers little over the free version.

Avira offers 30-day trials for all their products. Search for "Avira trial." If I recall correctly, they are buried on the Avira website.

For better identity protection you may wish to take a look at Webroot. If you are using W8\8.1 Webroot's firewall controls are disabled - not because of Webroot, but because of Windows. Use BiniSoft's WFC. Webroot, VooDooShield, WFC all work well together. Webroot support is good. Only downside is Webroot is not the best option for metered connection - if that is what you use. Same applies to Avira... due to constant Cloud connects. Could present problem under certain conditions.

Althernatively, you can combine your AV of choice with Quarri's MyPOQ for all online financial transactions - it creates a remote-hosted, sandboxed IE-only browser session with all extensions, add-ons disabled... along with session-only remote cookie against MitM\MitB attacks, etc. Visit Quarri.com to learn more - I put up thread about it here at MT under "Other Software." Note however, Quarri MyPOQ can be tampered with livecomm.exe - so you will have to temporarily shut-off livecomm.exe then use MyPOQ. After restart livecomm.exe. It is a known issue that Quarri is aware of - but very slow to fix...

Norton at customized settings is good protection too...

Any how, these are just some suggestions based upon my experiences with various AVs. Others will have completely different recommendations...

There is only so much one can do to protect their system using software as there is no "Nuclear Option" that will prevent every single malware\vulnerability. Also, guard against trying to create the perfect impenetrable IT fortress... I know that is the natural inclination - to add 378.3 layers of protection - but it will only serve to drive you nuts...

Pick good base-line AV and then accessorize to meet your basic security needs. Beyond this your knowledge, experience and computing habits will be the sole determinants of whether or not you are infected or data is stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hjlbx

Yes, I have tried Kaspersky in all its forms, including the 2015 version. Maybe it's my i3 or 6GB of RAM, but Kaspersky brings my current system to a crawl. May want to try it out again when I upgrade to a better PC later this year (one with an i7 and tons of RAM... mostly for gaming)...

I've not had any great success using K on entry-level Intel or AMD machines. However, if you search the K forums there are people using i3s and A4s that state K is fast. So, how an AV performs is highly dependent upon specific system in its entirety.

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
I've not had any great success using K on entry-level Intel or AMD machines. However, if you search the K forums there are people using i3s and A4s that state K is fast. So, how an AV performs is highly dependent upon specific system in its entirety.

True. The first places I went to re: Kaspersky when I was on their trial version were MT and their own forum. I tried what I can to tweak the settings so that K will work smoothly for my system. Problem was (and currently), browsers (whether they're FF, Chrome, Opera or their other variations) work at first... then they freeze for long periods of time. Not a great idea when you are in the middle of a call with a customer and certainly bad if you're remoting into their system to fix some Internet issue. I haven't had this freezing issue with others I've tried (other than AVG, which pretty much froze everything). I actually prefer to use CIS/CFW for this computer, but unfortunately, no matter what I tried (forums, tweaking, etc.), it will not work with Citrix.

Additional Note: I also tried calling Kaspersky themselves for help, but it seemed they rely more on scripted troubleshooting, then really helping the customer.

H

hjlbx

I actually prefer to use CIS/CFW for this computer, but unfortunately, no matter what I tried (forums, tweaking, etc.), it will not work with Citrix.

What precisely happens ? Citrix session malfunction ??? Any Error messages ? Browser Error, System Error or Server Error ?

Forget the Comodo forum... it is highly unlikely you will get any meaningful help there.

You can, however, submit a CIS free tech support ticket via e-mail. Believe it or not - their support via this method can be quite good.

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
What precisely happens ? Citrix session malfunction ??? Any Error messages ? Browser Error, System Error or Server Error ?

Forget the Comodo forum... it is highly unlikely you will get any meaningful help there.

You can, however, submit a CIS free tech support ticket via e-mail. Believe it or not - their support via this method can be quite good.

When I attempt to sign into Citrix while on CIS, the "logging in" window pauses for a few seconds, then it disappears, and I am back on my desktop. I tried asking even my employer, but no one there is familiar with Comodo in general. And yes, the Comodo forum is basically useless when looking for any type of solution. I'll have to try your suggestion about the free tech support ticket via email, though. If I can somehow resolve this Citrix problem, then I would love to just stay with CIS. I used to just get by with CFW, but there were some updates done that made it unrecognizable as a valid security soft on the VPN front.

H

hjlbx

When I attempt to sign into Citrix while on CIS, the "logging in" window pauses for a few seconds, then it disappears, and I am back on my desktop. I tried asking even my employer, but no one there is familiar with Comodo in general. And yes, the Comodo forum is basically useless when looking for any type of solution. I'll have to try your suggestion about the free tech support ticket via email, though. If I can somehow resolve this Citrix problem, then I would love to just stay with CIS. I used to just get by with CFW, but there were some updates done that made it unrecognizable as a valid security soft on the VPN front.

Did you check the CIS logs... especially the Defense+ one ? Maybe it shows object being blocked ?

Have you tracked down the location of the Citrix log-in window on your system - e.g. AppData\Temp folders... like INetCache ?

You might have to create Allow rules...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For enough features component upon your needs then go to:

ESET - Good and rapid detection delivery + HIPS for your backend of protection from the applications that needs your permission for accessing on certain area.

Or Emsisoft - Their BB is purely effective powered by Cloud reputation in detecting any possible suspicious events.

Avira Pro is fine however its certain features are not totally adapted compares on other products which needs a backup combant techniques.

Erycina

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
Updated the real-time protection to: Avira Free with Binisoft's WFC, HitmanPro.Alert3 and VoodooShield. This config seems to be the most compatible with my current programs without hindering the PC's overall performance. As far as security goes, time will tell.

H

hjlbx

Updated the real-time protection to: Avira Free with Binisoft's WFC, HitmanPro.Alert3 and VoodooShield. This config seems to be the most compatible with my current programs without hindering the PC's overall performance. As far as security goes, time will tell.

I found this same config very stable. I liked it. Little system impact.

VDS works for me as I have my favorite apps, configure my system, then I never change it. So, in my case, VDS really is convenient.

I am not adventurous web-surfer - so this config offered good base-line security, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.