Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

Release 19.4 beta 1 (5.5.752):​

New features:​

• Native 64-bit version is now available. In this beta any new installation on 64-bit Windows will install the natively 64-bit version of the product. In next beta existing 32-bit installations on 64-bit system will be migrated to 64-bit version of the product.
  • Main user interface look has changed. This is still heavily under work and work will continue over multiple beta releases. All existing functionality remains the same. We encourage you to give feedback about this user interface through beta feedback. Note that in this beta, there will be Latin text "Lorem ipsum..." on the top of the UI under the header "You are protected": this is a placeholder for a proper text that will be set up later.

Bug fixes:​

• Toast notification stays in history when it should not (PBL-12257, PBL-12273)
  • Toasts may crash the app in rare circumstances (PBL-12248)
  • After crash, password vault is not available until reboot (PBL-12251)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for sharing the release notes for F-Secure Protection PC 19.4 beta 1. Here is a breakdown of the new features and bug fixes mentioned in the release:

**New Features:**
1. **Native 64-bit Version:** The beta now includes a native 64-bit version of the product. For new installations on 64-bit Windows, the 64-bit version will be installed. In the next beta release, existing 32-bit installations on 64-bit systems will be migrated to the 64-bit version of the product.

2. **Main User Interface Look:** The main user interface has been updated with a new look. This is an ongoing process, and further enhancements will be made in future beta releases. The functionality remains the same, and users are encouraged to provide feedback on the new user interface. In this beta version, there will be Latin text "Lorem ipsum..." displayed at the top of the UI under the header "You are protected," which is a placeholder for the final text that will be added later.

**Bug Fixes:**
1. **Toast Notification History:** Fixed an issue where toast notifications were staying in the history when they should not (PBL-12257, PBL-12273).

2. **Toast Crash:** Resolved a bug where toasts were crashing the app in rare circumstances (PBL-12248).

3. **Password Vault Availability:** Fixed an issue where the password vault was not available after a crash until a system reboot (PBL-12251).

These improvements and fixes aim to enhance the user experience and overall performance of the F-Secure Protection PC product. Users are encouraged to test the beta version and provide feedback to help further refine the product.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
This is how the new UI looks like.
Settings and other UI elements seem to be more or less the same.

Attachments

• 1709137985699.png
    1709137985699.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 208

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Hopefully, they revise the main UI artwork, something that doesn't look so cute and childish. Something that says, "we're here to protect you" not play in the park and lazily read a book :) And I know it shouldn't make a difference, even though Avast is good, it comes across to me as a bit cartoonish with their artwork.

edit: this is the kind of attitude I want my AV to have..lol 😂
47978316.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
And no, I won't bore any of you who may read this thread with too many observations, but there was also a bit of a cosmetic change with the icons as well.
19.3.jpg

19.4 beta
2024-02-28_18-50-44.jpg

And, as they also mentioned, it did install in Program Files compared to 19.3 and the previous versions installing in Program Files (x86).
I was more tactful in their beta thread and asked if maybe the child on the UI looking at his tablet was meant to convey that F-Secure was looking out for the youth, and their online protection?

outlawxtorn

Level 6
Verified
Content Creator
May 29, 2017
And no, I won't bore any of you who may read this thread with too many observations, but there was also a bit of a cosmetic change with the icons as well.
View attachment 281832
19.4 beta
View attachment 281834

And, as they also mentioned, it did install in Program Files compared to 19.3 and the previous versions installing in Program Files (x86).
I was more tactful in their beta thread and asked if maybe the child on the UI looking at his tablet was meant to convey that F-Secure was looking out for the youth, and their online protection?
How's it running?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
How's it running?
So far it feels good, light. PDFs open quickly as well as some of my apps like VLC, and InfranView. Folders like Documents, Pictures, and Dropbox respond quickly. I'm not a gamer, so I'm not sure in that regard. Websurfing on the supported browsers (using Chrome) seems normal, with no noticeable slowdowns.
It is being tested on a Surface 5 laptop. Also, as of now, very low memory use.

Quick scan is its normal lighting fast, and will run a Full system scan later to check its impact on the device while scanning.

2024-02-29_4-50-14.jpg

2024-02-29_4-46-46.jpg

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
View attachment 281832
19.4 beta
View attachment 281834
Looks the same to me. :unsure:

The first one on top was introduced already in version 19.0 seen here:

The second one looks very much the same that their Beta version used for a long time. 🤷‍♂️

This is how the new UI looks like.
Settings and other UI elements seem to be more or less the same.
Not a major fan of all parts in this new "style" and I see now where it comes from:

Big thanks for the share @Lord Ami (y):coffee:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
19.4 beta 2 has been released.

Release 19.4 beta 2 (5.5.848):​

• Automatic migration to native 64-bit version for all clients that are at least 19.4 beta 1 version.

• Multiple fixes to dark mode support main user interface header bar

With this build, there are now 2 arrows at the top right to minimize and expand the header bar. It doesn't expand back again unless I close out and restart the app. It was one of the areas they said would be a work in progress during the 19.4 beta testing :)

19.4 beta 2a.jpg
19.4 beta2b.jpg

Edit: what I just realized is that when the header is minimized, it brings all the bottom panels into view on my notebook screen, compared to when the full header is displayed some of the bottom panels are cut off. So that would be a nice toggle feature to see all the panels clearly with one tick.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
A new update rolled out today, 19.4 beta 3.

Release 19.4 beta 3 (5.5.918):​

• VPN not usable after migration to 64-bit (PBL-12327)
  • DeepLink does not work after 64-bit migration (PBL-12335)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@Trident after reading your very insightful Webroot reply, what is the benefit of F-Secure now migrating to "total" 64-bit, Program Files install? Is it more for performance, of better utilization of the system processes? Does it have any impact, will it help with the security of F-Secure, to improve at all?

TIA, friend :)

edit: process -> processes

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Trident after reading your very insightful Webroot reply, what is the benefit of F-Secure now migrating to "total" 64-bit, Program Files install? Is it more for performance, of better utilization of the system process? Does it have any impact, will it help with the security of F-Secure, to improve at all?

TIA, friend :)
Yes, performance, including scan speed will be improved if F-Secure makes use of all available optimisations. 64-bit computing allows additional memory protections such as Address Space Layout Randomisation — such protections can improve the security by reducing the ability for malware writers to exploit vulnerabilities in F-Secure modules.

All these optimisations and improvements do not come automatically by switching from X86 to X64, F-Secure will need to implement them. I am sure that they will.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Yes, performance, including scan speed will be improved if F-Secure makes use of all available optimisations. 64-bit computing allows additional memory protections such as Address Space Layout Randomisation — such protections can improve the security by reducing the ability for malware writers to exploit vulnerabilities in F-Secure modules.

All these optimisations and improvements do not come automatically by switching from X86 to X64, F-Secure will need to implement them. I am sure that they will.
Nice link as well, thank you :)

Address space layout randomization

Address space layout randomization (ASLR) is a computer security technique involved in preventing exploitation of memory corruption vulnerabilities. In order to prevent an attacker from reliably jumping to, for example, a particular exploited function in memory, ASLR randomly arranges the address space positions of key data areas of a process, including the base of the executable and the positions of the stack, heap and libraries.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
A new beta update was released today.

19.4 beta 5 (5.5.1137), note that there was no beta 4:​

• UI design refresh changes (e.g. smart task cards)

• Password vault incorrectly prompts to set up extension after 64-bit migration (PBL-12359)

Removed features:​

• Web Traffic Scanning was removed. It could only scan unencrypted traffic which is very rare nowadays and the files will be scanned when they are on the disk anyway.

@Shadowra does the last point, Removed features: make sense? Obviously they are a company of skilled developers and engineers, but is that going to be a security issue in any way?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A new beta update was released today.

@Shadowra does the last point, Removed features: make sense? Obviously they are a company of skilled developers and engineers, but is that going to be a security issue in any way?
IMO, no need for that feature because F-Secure Security Cloud performs to check always for common file types anyway even while browsing,
Additional their web protection for all encrypted web traffic or blocking known blacklisted URLs...

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
On this topic

That is incorrect. Encrypted traffic has never been scanned. The reputation for DNS domain can be checked but not content. We don't install man-in-the-middle certificates that some other vendors so because that makes it impossible for the end user to be sure their connection is secured end to end.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
A new beta update was posted today.

Release 19.4 beta 6 (5.5.1190):​

• The scanning settings are changed to per user settings

• Fixed problem with deletion of multiple passwords in Vault
  • Fixed crash during uninstallation
Improvements:

• UX improvements

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.