Google Chrome Listening In To Your Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Yesterday, news broke

Slimjet is affected to, possibly every Chromium derivative is affected.

I cannot find it in SlimJet it is not there to check or uncheck.

Thanks, Yigido, for the warning. This is not in Slimjet yet because its core runs a bit behind the latest Chromium release so Flashpeak can go over everything and make sure there are no conflicts with its additions.

I've alerted them via the Slimjet forum so they'll know it's coming. Slimjet's security/privacy has been a consistent strong point.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I should not be surprise on that action, because we all know its always a normal move by tech giants; being intentional or unintentional way but the thing here is you cannot easily abandon a product especially when makes your task easier with those instruments.

In order to disable try to check from chrome://settings and see if Ok Google is unticked. My default configuration is where micropohone is OFF but audio captured is ON.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Damn this is something else. I have always been an avid user of chrome, and have always believed that chrome was the most powerful browser mixed with user friendly options. My issue is that they are streaming our audio for no reasons whatsoever? What if there is a data breach and all the audio is compromised? Are they going to pay for the damage done if there are some secrets in the audio files that are leaked? My guess is no, this is an unethical practice that can only go south from here. Thank you for the heads up I think I'm going to be moving to firefox for the time being while I try to find another browser that has the same feel as chrome.

Reactions: frogboy and Kent

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
chrome-voicesearch-300x200.png

Yesterday, news broke that Google has been stealth downloading audio listeners onto every computer that runs Chrome, and transmits audio data back to Google. Effectively, this means that Google had taken itself the right to listen to every conversation in every room that runs Chrome somewhere, without any kind of consent from the people eavesdropped on. In official statements, Google shrugged off the practice with what amounts to “we can do that”.

--Full Story--

Knew it from the beginning :mad: Once I was chatting with my cousin on skype with chrome open in the background,she was discussing about her dental problems,the next day when I was browsing a site(white-listed in adblock),I got ads with dental remedies,dental clinics and related ads :eek: I had already uninstalled chrome (spy :mad:) from my system:D:D

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Knew it from the beginning :mad: Once I was chatting with my cousin on skype with chrome open in the background,she was discussing about her dental problems,the next day when I was browsing a site(white-listed in adblock),I got ads with dental remedies,dental clinics and related ads :eek: I had already uninstalled chrome (spy :mad:) from my system:D:D
Could also be that google was tracking your searches if you looked up any dental terms or remedies. I find it quite hard to believe that just talking about something can influence the ads that come up on your system, seeing how most ads dont come from google either but rather other providers :p

Reactions: Koroke San

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Could also be that google was tracking your searches if you looked up any dental terms or remedies. I find it quite hard to believe that just talking about something can influence the ads that come up on your system, seeing how most ads dont come from google either but rather other providers :p
It's not only me others are experiencing the same :confused:
Here you go------------- https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...e_chrome_listening_in_to_your_room_shows_the/
PS-You forgot google Adsense :D Ads were shown from them:D

Reactions: frogboy

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Reactions: Kent and frogboy

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I'm going to be moving to firefox for the time being while I try to find another browser that has the same feel as chrome.

The Chromium derivatives have generally been better than Chrome for privacy. The privacy settings are usually preset the right way and extra functions have been added. Were it not for this I would not be using Slimjet. Plus you get a lot of other extra functions built-in, which is better than using addons (though they are available too).

Knew it from the beginning :mad: Once I was chatting with my cousin on skype

The problem with this, as I see it, is that Google just implemented OK Google in the latest version. Prior versions should not even have this functionality. Is it possible that skype is spying on you, or that you did a related search?

It's not only me others are experiencing the same :confused:
Here you go------------- https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...e_chrome_listening_in_to_your_room_shows_the/

Thanks for that thread. This is a bigger problem than I realized, and it goes far beyond google.

I pulled this link from that thread: https://history.google.com/history/audio. There you can check what audio uploads google has performed on you.

This also makes me wonder about Google Voice.

Reactions: frogboy and Kent

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
As days go by I have started thinking that Google may actually be a company started by the NSA itself for spying on individuals. There are a lots of things that go on behind our back.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Chrome is a bad habit of mine. I know it's spying of me but when I click my mouse for browser it's automatically clicks on Chrome.

Reactions: frogboy

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
As days go by I have started thinking that Google may actually be a company started by the NSA itself for spying on individuals. There are a lots of things that go on behind our back.

It's increasingly clear that there is a high degree of collusion between big government and big tech. Much of our rights have been stolen away while we were playing with our toys.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Shame & they still didn't fix the webrtc leak, Double spying lol :D

I don't want to sound like a Slimjet shill, so this will be my last comment here. But both webrtc and the canvass vulnerability have already been dealt with in SJ. I honestly don't see why anyone would use Chrome when a nearly identical but more secure alternative is available.

Peace.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I don't want to sound like a Slimjet shill, so this will be my last comment here. But both webrtc and the canvass vulnerability have already been dealt with in SJ. I honestly don't see why anyone would use Chrome when a nearly identical but more secure alternative is available.

Peace.
You got my vote for the best browser. :D

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015

You didn't think that was useful? Showing relevant ads?

Let me get this straight--sanity check here--to anyone who has a problem with this: You're surprised that the world-leading technology-based advertising company is analysing you and showing you targeted ads when you enable the optional listening feature and choose to display ads? :)

Yes, I use Chrome and Android and Google Drive and I thoroughly enjoy the benefit of my free stuff being subsidised by those who view and click on ads. ;)

Do you think Apple, Microsoft or just about every other computer or Internet-related company will be any different?

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
You didn't think that was useful? Showing relevant ads?

Let me get this straight--sanity check here--to anyone who has a problem with this: You're surprised that the world-leading technology-based advertising company is analysing you and showing you targeted ads when you enable the optional listening feature and choose to display ads? :)

Yes, I use Chrome and Android and Google Drive and I thoroughly enjoy the benefit of my free stuff being subsidised by those who view and click on ads. ;)

Do you think Apple, Microsoft or just about every other computer or Internet-related company will be any different?
Have a careful look here............
1zp0ggj.jpg

I have not enabled the "optional listening feature" ,these are the default settings in any chrome/chrome clone ;)

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
The main issue that people have with this is that google is shipping unaudited code into the open source linux distributions. In case anyone needs, here are the steps to turn this feature off on chrome:

1. Open Google Chrome.
  2. In the top right corner, click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    > Settings.
  3. In the "Search" section, check Enable "Ok Google" to start a voice search. To turn Ok Google off, uncheck this box.
Will this stop security conscious people from using chrome? No. Its under the hood anti exploit is the most advanced among browsers, with the ability to stop even Kernel mode exploits. Try to name another browser which can match the level of exploit mitigations in Chrome, which btw has suffered no full escape exploits in the wild. As with anything, there is a balance between security, usability and privacy.

Reactions: Rolo and Kent

Infected

Level 1
Verified
Mar 1, 2015
Wait a minute... maybe this was why Spyshelter on my 'puter was displaying a lot of blocks when using Chrome. Remember my "Is this normal" thread...

Maybe blocking these attempts to listen in eh? I know that Spyshelter denies certain things such as web browsers (add-ons) accessing webcam. system sound, etc by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.