Google Chrome Listening In To Your Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infected

Level 1
Verified
Mar 1, 2015
@Kent

That's what it's all about... personalized advertising... automated... they're now seeking to capture what we're saying via our mics/sound from youtube uploads etc. Look at what they can do to prevent copyright infringement on youtube... The techonology is there to do this.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
its just an innovation in chrome designed to help people use their browser more effectively.For example disabled or physically handicapped people will benefit immensly from the voice activation abilities.

If people have the time and inclination to read the hotword options window ,it clearly states the always on recording is off.If you dont trust google as a company then simply dont use their products.

But:Can you say with 100% honesty you know where your data is going within any other companies browser.?
I sympathise with google because any form of enhancement to chrome is seen as devious in some way.
Its a big internet and our data could be anywhere.

Regards.:D

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I am almost sure they use it to spy. same as samsung..if u have a samsung handy u need to open your battery,there are spychips in there in samsung 5 and above and that is true..u can look on youtube,they have realy spymicrochips in there batterie. i would not use google(chrome) or samsung anymore,realy. Iphone have this microphonespychips too sometimes in there batteries but u cant open it as simple as samsung batteries to catch them. its realy,realy scary what big companies doing.
OMG really? you talking about nfc chips?
That was a fake rumor & you fell for it too sir.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
I am almost sure they use it to spy. same as samsung..if u have a samsung handy u need to open your battery,there are spychips in there in samsung 5 and above and that is true..u can look on youtube

@Janl92l I recommend do not believe everything on YouTube. If you take-off chip from Samsung (or any other phone) battery then most probably your warranty is invalid and you will brick some of the features like NFC. There are three important things about the chip.
  1. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous if they are physically damaged
  2. There is a great risk that such activity violates the conditions of the warranty for your phone.
  3. The most important thing: This is the NFC antenna
I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Damn, where is that tinfoil hat of mine, they are everywhere, they are spying on us! :D

Every battery can posibly overheat and explode if it is tampered with, don't play with fire kids!

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Damn it,
Firefox has also come down with pocket and the "hello" functions.
Mozilla must be spying too then...?lol.

Google has a very "public" privacy paper in regard to the use of their products.Read it and then decide if you wish to use chrome.This senseless paranoia is getting us nowhere.
Any proof that.:
  • mozilla.
  • maxthon
  • slimjet
  • opera.
All other browsers are not spying then.?
Do we know where our browsing data goes with all these other browsers.?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Amiga500 : All of those browsing data are gathered by some third party for statistics purpose but as declaration which no any user critical information included.

All have to do is trust, and their policy provide should serve as there final and unchangeable as much as possible, which only related actions should follow.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Interesting that people voice concern over google and yet use a closed source operating system.
For a so-called spyware chrome does remarkably well.Over half the global usage share for a spyware browser....?.Hmm most odd.
Stigma seems to have well and truly stuck with google as any form of innovation in their products will be viewed with scepticism and suspicion.:confused:

For the avid open source advocates in the world,i would expect linux to come out as the champion os but this is not so,Why all the concern over the security and privacy of a browser when the chosen browser will no doubt be installed on a closed source os like windows...Most strange.
The figures dont lie and the statistics are there,open source is not as much of a big concern as we like to believe.
Forget about google etc tracking you..just take a peek at what your operating system could hide.:)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Interesting that there are no visible settings for this voice search module within the chrome settings.Scary thing is that a new user to chrome will be totally unaware of its existence.
I found it via the chrome//urls and only here.

Also in the last update it installed several "extras",Notably google docs and spreadsheets which are perfectly legitimate programs but i was not "asked" if i wished to install them.

This amongst other "concerns" and oddities including sign in separate windows being present at random start-up and strange occurences with the user icon on the main bar has convinced me enough to uninstall chrome entirely.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here are some devices that listen in:

- Apps that identify TV and Music (ie. Shazam) - Check permissions
- Siri
- Google Now (OK Google...)
- Microsoft Cortana (Hey Cortana...) - Includes Windows 10
- Xbox One and Playstation 4 (Voice commands)
- Ears (you react when called upon) :p

As a thought, maybe it's possible to block/deny a folder creation if matches "lccekmodgklaepjeofjdjpbminllajkg", using your security software (HIPS, BB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.