Serious Discussion Hasleo Backup Suite 3.0 launches with file backups and other improvements

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
It would be nice if the installer would be signed. I had to look twice when I got an unsigned exe from a company website that was not labeled "beta". I know a signature doesn't make a file save/unsafe but from a company website (meaning they clearly sell other software) I immediately had to recheck :D

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
It would be nice if the installer would be signed. I had to look twice when I got an unsigned exe from a company website that was not labeled "beta". I know a signature doesn't make a file save/unsafe but from a company website (meaning they clearly sell other software) I immediately had to recheck :D

There are things they cannot do without charging because of costs, and a signed installer is one of them. Image mounting is another. If the product is to remain free there has to be concessions.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
Or, he could have stored his backups, external or not, in an access-controlled folder.
You have piqued my curiosity regarding access-controlled folders. I use Macrium Reflect as my primary backup tool, and use Hasleo as secondary. However, like I Walk My Way, I do not store my Hasleo backups in an access-controlled folder. It is, however, stored on an external hard drive. In fact, I am not familiar with using access-controlled folders.

So, my question is can I take my existing Hasleo backup folder on my external hard drive and now make it access-controlled? If so, how? And, how do I make sure that Hasleo has access to that folder to then backup to that now access-controlled folder?

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
You have piqued my curiosity regarding access-controlled folders. I use Macrium Reflect as my primary backup tool, and use Hasleo as secondary. However, like I Walk My Way, I do not store my Hasleo backups in an access-controlled folder. It is, however, stored on an external hard drive. In fact, I am not familiar with using access-controlled folders.

So, my question is can I take my existing Hasleo backup folder on my external hard drive and now make it access-controlled? If so, how? And, how do I make sure that Hasleo has access to that folder to then backup to that now access-controlled folder?

Sure thing. That can be done. Just open Windows Security, and follow the screenshots to add a protected folder. After that, go back to step #3 and add whatever application you want to have access to your protected folders. That's it!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
Sure thing. That can be done. Just open Windows Security, and follow the screenshots to add a protected folder. After that, go back to step #3 and add whatever application you want to have access to your protected folders. That's it!

I assume that this means that I will have to change the folder where I save my Hasleo backups? In other words, I cannot make an existing folder a "protected folder"?

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I assume that this means that I will have to change the folder where I save my Hasleo backups? In other words, I cannot make an existing folder a "protected folder"?

Why? All you have to do is match the corresponding folder in Windows Security. The actual folder is not not changed, just the read/write permissions of your OS. Then be sure to app the apps doing the writing as exclusions to that folder.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
What I was told when I suggested image mounting, was that Microsoft requires a signed driver. And getting a signed driver costs money. In order to keep the product free they are forgoing anything that will incur a cost. However, I did mention Terabyte's TBIView. That uses a small external program to "open" the file, and then users can extract whatever data they want. There is no cost for this approach. The point being that all a user would have to do if double-click on the image file in Explorer to open it. It will not be mounted, and thus have no drive letter, but opening the file that way is easier than opening it though the Hasleo Backup app as it currently is. We'll see what they decide to do.

Last edited:

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Do you use easy fix? ,it has a trial
Build#2708908802 (2023/06)
  • Size: 15.6MB
  • O.S. Supported: 32/64 bit of Windows 7/8/10/11 (Legacy/UEFI BIOS)
  • License Type: Free 15 days Trial License Type: Free 15 days Trial

yes, I have a Eazy Fix
    It is and was my time machines when testing malware.
    When I took a test with malware and anti-malware software with the Oracle VM VirtualBox.
    After the test with Eazy Fix, I reset my Windows to before the test.
    In the event that a malware escapes from the virtual box.
    A further advantage of a time machine is that you can quickly reset the system without a normal backup program.
    But you should always make a normal backup with a backup software once a week.
    There is only a non -incorrigible hard disk error, then you will be happy to transfer all data to a new hard drive.

I hope that the translation into the US/English has no mistake

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
What I was told when I suggested image mounting, was that Microsoft requires a signed driver. And getting a signed driver costs money. In order to keep the product free they are forgoing anything that will incur a cost. However, I did mention Terabyte's TBIView. That uses a small external program to "open" the file, and then users can extract whatever data they want. There is no cost for this approach. The point being that all a user would have to do if double-click on the image file in Explorer to open it. It will not be mounted, and thus have no drive letter, but opening the file that way is easier than opening it though the Hasleo Backup app as it currently is. We'll see what they decide to do.

This is only during development, when that is done HBS is going to be paid. Maybe they will have 2 versions, a free and a paid, and the free will be a simpler one.
All according to my contact with them.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Didn't know it needed signed driver to mount an image. There is also the option to browse image inside Hasleo UI. After selecting browse image, click on "File Mode".
1704817384624.jpeg

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Didn't know it needed signed driver to mount an image. There is also the option to browse image inside Hasleo UI. After selecting browse image, click on "File Mode".

Correct. But that's not as easy, or user-friendly as double-clicking the image itself. Most won't know Hasleo's method since it differs from every other product.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
The Hasleo developers are very open to suggestions, if it's doable. I just posted the the below and received a positive response. Very few developers are as open to user input as this, especially for a free product.

Code:
n8chavez Wrote: 
I would appreciated the use of variables in the file naming mechanism. 
For example, %Type% - %MM%-%dd%-%YY% would mean Full - 01-08-24.  This
way users would have greater flexibility in naming their images, and
Hasleo wouldn't have to enforce the nesting of directories for each
image.

Thank you for this suggestion and I have to say that this should be very useful and we will implement it in future releases.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Version 4.2 (2/6/2024)
  • Added support for dark theme
  • Improved performance of the file backup feature
  • Improved backup scheduling
  • Fixed some issues where backup to network shared folders failed
  • Fixed an issue where backup of NTFS partition failed
  • Fixed some bugs to improve product quality

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Version 4.4 (3/20/2024)
  • Retry after backup to network shared folder fails
  • Fixed bug: Corrupted FAT cluster chains cause the program to crash
  • Fixed bug: Reading sectors past the end of the drive caused the backup to fail
  • Fixed bug: Failed to restore backup to USB flash drive
  • Fixed some bugs to improve product quality

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.