King Mellow's Layered Security 2016

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Emsisoft Internet Security | SecureAPlus | AppGuard | KeyScrambler Premium | AdGuard Premium | Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit | McShield Anti-Malware | Unchecky |
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntiLogger | Malwarebytes Anti-Malware | HitmanPro | Crystal Security |
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome - AdGuard | HTTPS Everywhere | BitDefender TrafficLight | WOT | LastPass | Stealth Mode | ZenMate (On-Demand) |
Mozilla Firefox - AdGuard | HTTPS Everywhere | BitDefender TrafficLight | LastPass | ZenMate (On-Demand) |
Maintenance tools
CCleaner | Wise Care 365 | Revo Uninstaller Pro | Auslogics Disk Defrag | Kerish Doctor |
File and Photo backup
None
System recovery
Windows Backup and Restore | AOMEI Backupper |
S

Sr. Normal

Hey guys, I have a few questions about Windows 1. Is it safe to install Windows 10 (not clean install)? Is it better than Windows 8.1?

In my personal opinion, I prefer 8.1. My computer is a little slower with W10. I've had a few problems with antivirus, certain programs have reversed when upgrading from previous versions (wisecare 365), I had to reinstall other ...
Windows 10 will be excellent, but again, in my personal opinion, is better now W 8.1 :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @King Mellow. With the hardware specs of your HP All-In-One, you should have no problem. As Sr. Normal mentioned, some software will naturally be playing catch up,o_O although as I am in a similar position of trepidation it seems a worthy step up which I plan on making too.;) Your best fail safe shall be preparing an image of your 8.1 should you wish to turn back the hands of time to 8.1. I shall comment more after I've made the jump myself!:rolleyes::p

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such view, Windows 10 is really a good OS however just expect litte flaws like force updates and privacy issues. Majority upgrade from 8.1 provide without any issues which already came as positive impression.

Its up to you, backup your drivers in case everything went wrong.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Hi guys! :) I've been so busy the past months that I don't have time to update my PC, actually almost all the softwares are outdated. :( I just file a leave so I will have some FREE TIME to fix this mess next month. My PC still has Windows 8.1 installed and I'm planning to upgrade it to Windows 10 during my free time, I need your opinion guys if I should upgrade my OS or not. Should I do a clean install or just upgrade it? Thanks guys!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi @King Mellow! As one of your fellow members still on 8.1 (you are not the only one) my plan is to have a backup image standing by just in case.;)
One of our staff members had just mentioned how a clean install was an effective way of removing bloatware. The manufacturer's drivers will also, in most cases, work better than those provided by Microsoft, so that's one important point to keep in mind.

S

Sr. Normal

Hi @King Mellow :)
For me, Window 10 is the best OS that Microsoft has done. Of course, you must do a clean install. Make backup, as well suggests @Cats-4_Owners-2, of your folders of documents, music, etc to retrieve them
later smoothly and become really compatible with your installers soft Windows 10. At first I had trouble with the antivirus, but I think it is solved.
A pleasure to greet you again :)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys! :) I've been so busy the past months that I don't have time to update my PC, actually almost all the softwares are outdated. :( I just file a leave so I will have some FREE TIME to fix this mess next month. My PC still has Windows 8.1 installed and I'm planning to upgrade it to Windows 10 during my free time, I need your opinion guys if I should upgrade my OS or not. Should I do a clean install or just upgrade it? Thanks guys!
I agree with the other replies, I think a clean install would be the best way! ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Grab it while the free upgrade still available until July 2016, remember to always follow the procedures of backup to avoid any untoward incidents. Actually you may face the reality of issues of privacy on Windows 10 but that should not be the downfall cause performance and reliability will contribute for your hardware. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace avast! Premier, (Thanks @Cats-4_Owners-2) what AV will you recommend?
(You're welcome @King Mellow!) I hope your personal experience was good.
Presently I am quite happy with Norton Security on our Windows 8.1 which is quite light even as it feels secure.
If you've an idea of what you are looking for in an AV or suite, test drive a 30 day trial of your choice. That's how we'd decided my wife only wants ESET on her Windows 7 SP 1 (nothing else).:( Currently she's happy with their Smart Security Suite.:) :rolleyes::D

Now, if after test driving F-Secure Safe, Emsisoft, or Kaspersky, if you then discover one works well for you, send me a PM.;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace avast! Premier, (Thanks @Cats-4_Owners-2) what AV will you recommend?
Well there are lots of options, I will list ones that are good:

Free ones:

• Qihoo 360 Total Security (don't get essentials it is versions behind)
  • Avira (Qihoo 360 Total Security uses it)
  • Avast
  • Windows Defender (make sure to run a companion anti-malware it detection is decent but not brilliant)
Paid ones:

• Kaspersky Total Security
  • Norton
  • Webroot
  • ESET
  • Bitdefender (Qihoo 360 Total Security uses it)
  • F-Secure

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.