miketan77_config

miketan77

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
My computer configuration is 32 bit. Windows 7 home premium.
Manufacturer : Toshiba
Model : Notebook
Processor : Intel Core i 5 2.40 GHz
RAM : 8 G
RAMDisk : Gilisoft
Antivirus : -
Antilogger : -
Firewall : Outpost Firewall Pro (lifetime license)
Anti Malware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ( lifetime license)
Backup data : Norton Ghost 15
McShield, Piriform CCleaner, Recuva , Process Lasso, Sandboxie, IDM, Listary, Magic ISO, Connectify me, and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
miketan77, thanks for sharing your configuration.
I like Windows 7 SP1, we have one in our home too.:)
Chrome is probably my favorite browser, although it's a toss up between Firefox which I've been using on linux.
Have you looked into using any browser extensions?
An add blocker is essential, and either of the following should perform very well!;)
An effective and free software that keeps your system unchanged while keeping your browser inside of the protection of a containment sandbox is called Sandboxie:cool: www.sandboxie.com

Other extensions I use for security
  1. ...blocks java script: ScriptBlock https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptblock/hcdjknjpbnhdoabbngpmfekaecnpajba
  2. Blocks trackers: Ghostery https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghostery/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij/related
Edit: uMatrix https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/umatrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf compliments your privacy & security by blocking scripts & images while allowing one to graphically see just what is needed in order to allow viewing a youtube video, or does not require allowing through.

Last edited:

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
You should replace IoBit products for real time malware protection! They offer a very bad level of protection :eek:

About Realtime AV you can try one of these Free solutions that give your pc a lot more of protection: Avast / Avira / Qihoo360 :)

For on-demand scans try Malwarebytes Free and HerdProtect.

About browser's setting, follow @Cats-4_Owners-2 golden advices ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ASC is not the best for real time protection and unless you have advanced knowledge you can do more damage than good using some of its features.I would rather go with Microsofts protection than ASC.As others have said there are very good free AV options and ondemand scanners such as MalwareBytes Antimalware 7 Hitman Pro.
CCleaner will provide you with most of the same necessary features as ASC.Thanks for sharing your config :)

miketan77

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks everyone gives me your advise. I'm appreciate it. Since i have outpost firewall in my computer,the only one I have concern is AV.Choose free edition or buy AV edition(maybe lifetime).
Somehow, I really don't understand the difference between antivirus and anti-malwares or anti rootkits. Recently I have installed Regrun 7.
My computer takes time to start up about 4-5 minutes, become dark screen, I'm not sure this normal for my computer or not.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks everyone gives me your advise. I'm appreciate it. Since i have outpost firewall in my computer,the only one I have concern is AV.Choose free edition or buy AV edition(maybe lifetime).
Somehow, I really don't understand the difference between antivirus and anti-malwares or anti rootkits. Recently I have installed Regrun 7.
My computer takes time to start up about 4-5 minutes, become dark screen, I'm not sure this normal for my computer or not.

@miketan77 , an Antivirus is an important line of defense for all Windows Operating Systems which are also the most utilized in the world, and this popularity is also the main reason our Windows systems are the most targeted.:( The actual first line of defense has to do with preventing changes made to the system, and this is the real reason User Activated Control is set into place in order to warno_O us before accidentally:mad: allowing this to happen. Antimalware scanners (as I believe RegRun 7.20.0.14 freeware to be) are considered secondary to Antivirus programs and UAC. In most cases your own actions and decisions are what allow or disallow changes made to your system.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit#cite_note-McAfee1-1

"A rootkit is a stealthy type of software, typically malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continuedprivileged access to a computer.[1] The term rootkit is aconcatenation of "root" (the traditional name of the privileged account on Unix operating systems) and the word "kit" (which refers to the software components that implement the tool). The term "rootkit" has negative connotations through its association with malware.[1]

Rootkit installation can be automated, or an attacker can install it once they've obtained root or Administrator access. Obtaining this access is a result of direct attack on a system (i.e., exploiting a known vulnerability (such as privilege escalation) or a password (obtained by cracking or social engineering)).
"

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome. When you say a shared machine, does that mean that you have brothers and sisters, using the machine, mum and dad or friends or?

miketan77

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
Hi Miketan : You have been already welcomed by an expert of our gang. cats-4_owner-2 through his rich and valuable advice/ inputs. Hope you got the insight of MT. Again welcome from my side as well.
I agree with you. Thanks cats-4_owner-2.

miketan77

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
@miketan77 , an Antivirus is an important line of defense for all Windows Operating Systems which are also the most utilized in the world, and this popularity is also the main reason our Windows systems are the most targeted.:( The actual first line of defense has to do with preventing changes made to the system, and this is the real reason User Activated Control is set into place in order to warno_O us before accidentally:mad: allowing this to happen. Antimalware scanners (as I believe RegRun 7.20.0.14 freeware to be) are considered secondary to Antivirus programs and UAC. In most cases your own actions and decisions are what allow of disallow changes made to your system.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit#cite_note-McAfee1-1

"A rootkit is a stealthy type of software, typically malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continuedprivileged access to a computer.[1] The term rootkit is aconcatenation of "root" (the traditional name of the privileged account on Unix operating systems) and the word "kit" (which refers to the software components that implement the tool). The term "rootkit" has negative connotations through its association with malware.[1]

Rootkit installation can be automated, or an attacker can install it once they've obtained root or Administrator access. Obtaining this access is a result of direct attack on a system (i.e., exploiting a known vulnerability (such as privilege escalation) or a password (obtained by cracking or social engineering)).
"
Thank you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.