Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What's your favorite free antivirus at the moment?

*Dont forget to change the poll votes when you've new favorite* :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzai and Ulikedat

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello, jackuars..
I've voted for 360 (TS, for me) since it's free and its detection rate is probably the best or, at least, among the best. I've been a long time user of Avast and, more recently, Avira, but I think Qihoo seems to put a lot of effort in this one.

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I vote for Comodo.
Just because how much stuff they give for free and because of them i started to look at malware and security in a difrent way!
On demand detection got nothing to do with product if it have other stuff to protect with.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I am between AVG and COMODO because AVG is install and forget av and it can protect your pc pretty good. On the other hand COMODO with it's sandbox you have mind at piece because you are almost certain that nothing can pass it.Difficult decision but for now my vote goes to AVG which with it's 2015 version has improved more but if Comodo will improve in version 8 maybe i will change my vote.Anyway tough call but vote for Avg ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Currently Windows Defender for Windows 8 and 8.1, Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows Vista SP2 and 7 SP1.
An added benefit would be to those who use Chrome or Internet Explorer which include malicious download protection.

Voted: Other

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Unfortunately, I haven't tried all the AntiVirus programs on the poll.

Since 2012, I put in and ran
-MSE, Avast, McAfee, Avira, AVG, Bitdefender 2014, Unthreat and Bitdefender (Ver 10)-

My Compaq Presario I'm using came with Norton back in 2005. 2 newer laptops had Norton installed as well,... but none have it now lol. Better "free" options out there.

So, 2 PC's and 2 laptops using Windows XP SP3 and one on SP2 (for now)

All Antivirus I tried were free versions but the old Norton and a new 2013 McAfee, got full version from having an AOL account.

Best : Avira, Bitdefender (overall experience)

Good : Unthreat (would be best but updates freeze at (99%) :( Microsoft Security Essentials (A few minor update errors, slowdowns and heavy RAM use during those updates. McAfee - old version. (ran well, but with too many pop-ups)

Fair : AVG (BLOAT! w/errors), Norton (good but poor boot time and FP) McAfee (Overkill caused heavy load on system.

Worst : Avast

Now, I was recommened Avast last year,... and Avast shocked me as being the very worst option I tried! It was worse then McAfee. Avast made laptop so slow, ate up resources, kept freezing the brower, slowed down internet, and constant pop-up info) left a lot of junk behind after uninstall too.

Most shocking good performance : Bitdefender (Oct 2014)

Most Shocking dissapointment : Avast (April 2013)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Worst : Avast

Now, I was recommened Avast last year,... and Avast shocked me as being the very worst option I tried! It was worse then McAfee. Avast made laptop so slow, ate up resources, kept freezing the brower, slowed down internet, and constant pop-up info) left a lot of junk behind after uninstall too.

Most shocking good performance : Bitdefender (Oct 2014)

Most Shocking dissapointment : Avast (April 2013)

It's important to note that there were no security conflicts, or if it was really another program that was taking up the resources, the add-ons and the like. Avast is generally considered light, so it might be just a local issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.