Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What's your favorite free antivirus at the moment?

*Dont forget to change the poll votes when you've new favorite* :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzai and Ulikedat

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Unthreat free for Vipre sigs and lightness to compliment Sandboxie plus HIPS.

Regards Eck:)

Ah nice, that's the
It's important to note that there were no security conflicts, or if it was really another program that was taking up the resources, the add-ons and the like. Avast is generally considered light, so it might be just a local issue.

I don't know for sure, but I read other posts and saw the exact same experiences from others, so IMO... I think if your hardware isn't new, or you have less then 3.0 GHz processor 2GB RAM,... there's gonna be trouble running Avast. It was not just slow, it was a nightmare, stuck in the quicksand kinda reaction, really bad.

Reactions: Behold Eck

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Ah nice, that's the

I don't know for sure, but I read other posts and saw the exact same experiences from others, so IMO... I think if your hardware isn't new, or you have less then 3.0 GHz processor 2GB RAM,... there's gonna be trouble running Avast. It was not just slow, it was a nightmare, stuck in the quicksand kinda reaction, really bad.

You should be surprised that I ran Avast on my 512MB Windows XP system at the beginning of the year and it was light indeed. So I'm sensing it should be some other program if it drags you that much. By the way am talking about Avast Free.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You should be surprised that I ran Avast on my 512MB Windows XP system at the beginning of the year and it was light indeed. So I'm sensing it should be some other program if it drags you that much. By the way am talking about Avast Free.

Yup Avast free was tried,
Slow boot time as well, and I didn't use apps or add ons and not many start up programs enabled.

Well, all I know is when it was installed things went downhill (after a clean install), and then when it was uninstalled everything worked okay.

I dunno how you got it running ok on 512MB... with all its features and functions, and computer slowed down, pop up hell, every 1 min (Avast created its pop ups every single move when taken) I didn't get it... I almost gave up on Anti-virus because the heavy weight shown with McAfee and then came Avast, I assumed I needed a new PC. Then I found Unthreat and MSE helped me set on something that worked really fast. (MSE I found does tax a system at times)

I've read many people have browser and computer freeze up problems related to using Avast and when its removed they say their old computer is new again. I wish I saved the links I found on it. A shame someone used it for a long time, thinking it was their computer... but found it ran great without Avast :eek:

There's a 20% ratio I'd say this will happen to someone else. What the reason behind it is unknown... but I haven't gone back.

Antiviruses seem to have love-hate relations to computers of all kinds... it must need to make a love match to work.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm not saying Avast "sucks"... based on what others say it's a really good option (to at least try), Avast gives you all the bells and whistles of a paid AV. Odds are good it should run nicely, and if not... you can always uninstall it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and Behold Eck

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
For me:

Best

360 IS -->
Pros
  1. Very Very Light on the system.
  2. Very Good detection
  3. Very Nice UI.
Cons
  1. Can't block website from browser other than IE.
  2. Can't run properly with Standard User Account.
Avast -->
Pros
  1. Detect Detection
  2. Light on system
  3. Good PUP detection.
  4. Lots of option for customization.
For me both are good.

Next Choices
Comodo

Pros
  1. Very good Zero Day Protection
  2. Complete Package
Cons
  1. Lots of pop-ups and false detection. Might be scary for novice users.
AVG
Pros
  1. Simple, Decent.
Cons
  1. Need better zero day protection.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Yup Avast free was tried,
Slow boot time as well, and I didn't use apps or add ons and not many start up programs enabled.

Well, all I know is when it was installed things went downhill (after a clean install), and then when it was uninstalled everything worked okay.

I dunno how you got it running ok on 512MB... with all its features and functions, and computer slowed down, pop up hell, every 1 min (Avast created its pop ups every single move when taken) I didn't get it... I almost gave up on Anti-virus because the heavy weight shown with McAfee and then came Avast, I assumed I needed a new PC. Then I found Unthreat and MSE helped me set on something that worked really fast. (MSE I found does tax a system at times)

I've read many people have browser and computer freeze up problems related to using Avast and when its removed they say their old computer is new again. I wish I saved the links I found on it. A shame someone used it for a long time, thinking it was their computer... but found it ran great without Avast :eek:

There's a 20% ratio I'd say this will happen to someone else. What the reason behind it is unknown... but I haven't gone back.

Antiviruses seem to have love-hate relations to computers of all kinds... it must need to make a love match to work.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm not saying Avast "sucks"... based on what others say it's a really good option (to at least try), Avast gives you all the bells and whistles of a paid AV. Odds are good it should run nicely, and if not... you can always uninstall it. :)

Hang in there Jake and you will surely find the perfect relationship for your computer.

Only that I think Avast may not be the one as I had a similar problem with Outpost once and I had to give up the ghost after much effort as their was some strange unresolvable compatabilitie issues no matter what I tried.

Comodo firewall runs very (anytime I`ve tried it)light with great zero day security leaving your choice of AV to what ever you fancy and there`s plenty of good suggestions mentioned already.

Anyway good luck in your search and remember just like most relationships it`s good to have a plan B,.... just incase.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hang in there Jake and you will surely find the perfect relationship for your computer.

Only that I think Avast may not be the one as I had a similar problem with Outpost once and I had to give up the ghost after much effort as their was some strange unresolvable compatabilitie issues no matter what I tried.

Comodo firewall runs very (anytime I`ve tried it)light with great zero day security leaving your choice of AV to what ever you fancy and there`s plenty of good suggestions mentioned already.

Anyway good luck in your search and remember just like most relationships it`s good to have a plan B,.... just incase.

Thanks for the info and well wishes Eck.

I had my good luck already :) The fussy laptop runs great with Avira, and now Bitdefender also runs perfectly on this old XP-PC. I speak of the new free version of Bitdefender its very low impact, just 2 processes... and I have yet to see it reach over 160ks of memory (during signature updates or scan), and RAM can rest as low as 5kbs!
(see picture)

It's also very efficent with CPU.

The install and forget nature of Bitdefender seems to agree with old specs... :)

Attachments

• BD ss.JPG
    BD ss.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 379

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Having a complete suit for no cost is in my an opinion amazing which is not self-evident especially when you look how other company use their free software (to get full utilization you have to pay - a strategy Avast uses for instance) and ever sense I got CIS 5 (other versions would not work....) I haven't looked back and I believe I won't either. Vitual kiosk (C VK) is also an amazing component that some companies offers within their paid version (alternatives of course to C VK) or at all . COMODO offers preimium features that in some cases are not even offered in paid product is very handy; CIS was, and still is, COMODO's way to marketing their name which I find much better than other company's marketing strategy; the everyday people all gain something of this - especially as internet is getting bigger and bigger and not all can afford a paid one.

My interest for computers began with IS-software and moved later on to hardware, as some may know. As some may see COMODO is leading the way is some cases and one of the features is deny default that more and more companies implement their own version of D+ - to mention some companies Kaspersky and Avast and Norton with their Sonir or how it's called. Another feature is the sandbox - to integrate in a suit (sandibox I believe were the first to introduce the technology or concept). I was from the start of MalwareTips birth ^^

In my opinion CIS has evolved and still does. I can recommend it and lets not forget that it's the only IS that offer 500$ if the IS screw the PC up.

I know it sounds like I am Comodo-fan but the truth is that I am not, I like some of their software but not all and recommend what I find best - for instance KIS for mobile is in my opinion somehow easyer to cope with and would use it. CMS can cause issues at first but otherwise a good software. For backup I recommend other software.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Voted for Qihoo because I used it in the past and I have to say that I had a great experience with it. Didn't face much bugs, maybe be slow to detect malicious files on system at times when they are not running (eg unzipping files to desktop) but immediately kills the threat if it is even moved from folder to folder. My second contender would have to be avast!, I used it in the past as well and it was very light on the system. The AV was also very quick to react to threats, after unzipping files on to system, immediately gets caught by avast! without having to do anything.

Reactions: Sr. Normal and Kent

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Obviously windows defender. Best free AV out there. :p I like it because its very light and i don't exactly go looking for viruses I am very secure when it comes to webpages. Only use E-mail on my phone. And buy everything on disk :p

Reactions: Sr. Normal and Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.