Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What's your favorite free antivirus at the moment?

*Dont forget to change the poll votes when you've new favorite* :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzai and Ulikedat

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Thanks for the info and well wishes Eck.

I had my good luck already :) The fussy laptop runs great with Avira, and now Bitdefender also runs perfectly on this old XP-PC. I speak of the new free version of Bitdefender its very low impact, just 2 processes... and I have yet to see it reach over 160ks of memory (during signature updates or scan), and RAM can rest as low as 5kbs!
(see picture)

It's also very efficent with CPU.

The install and forget nature of Bitdefender seems to agree with old specs... :)

Glad to hear you found "the one"for your machine Jake. I was thinking of Bitdefender free myself for my plan B as Unthreat has suddenly introduced the trial version with 16 days left, so I will see if it reverts to the free again after this time.

Avira has great sigs and is pretty solid and reliable, good choice, not too heavy either.

One of the reasons I like Unthreat is that it sits at on average less than 5mg of RAM when idile but your getting even better results with BDF.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Kent

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Having a complete suit for no cost is in my an opinion amazing which is not self-evident especially when you look how other company use their free software (to get full utilization you have to pay - a strategy Avast uses for instance) and ever sense I got CIS 5 (other versions would not work....) I haven't looked back and I believe I won't either. Vitual kiosk (C VK) is also an amazing component that some companies offers within their paid version (alternatives of course to C VK) or at all . COMODO offers preimium features that in some cases are not even offered in paid product is very handy; CIS was, and still is, COMODO's way to marketing their name which I find much better than other company's marketing strategy; the everyday people all gain something of this - especially as internet is getting bigger and bigger and not all can afford a paid one.

My interest for computers began with IS-software and moved later on to hardware, as some may know. As some may see COMODO is leading the way is some cases and one of the features is deny default that more and more companies implement their own version of D+ - to mention some companies Kaspersky and Avast and Norton with their Sonir or how it's called. Another feature is the sandbox - to integrate in a suit (sandibox I believe were the first to introduce the technology or concept). I was from the start of MalwareTips birth ^^

In my opinion CIS has evolved and still does. I can recommend it and lets not forget that it's the only IS that offer 500$ if the IS screw the PC up.

I know it sounds like I am Comodo-fan but the truth is that I am not, I like some of their software but not all and recommend what I find best - for instance KIS for mobile is in my opinion somehow easyer to cope with and would use it. CMS can cause issues at first but otherwise a good software. For backup I recommend other software.

I agree totally Valentin and Comodo is great to install on friends computers that are low spec but need the extra security without bogging down the machine.

I`m not a fanboy either but I use a similar approach through different programs and if these were unavailable it would probably be Comodo for me.

Regards Eck:)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Only Pro version is ON (but giveaway is here on forum), free version is from 2011 (OFF)

Clipboard01.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In the history of Avast, not sure if they are the first to have lots of features to be added which been alongside to combine the protection in a free version + huge popularity of users use it therefore that makes the product trend.

(Vote for Avast)

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.