About custom security
Cruel Comodo settings.
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox..(permanent private browsing mode) Cloudflare/ 360 Internet Protection / Startpage (Banking, etc)
Edge.. Quad9/ 360 Internet Protection/ AdGuard AdBlocker/ HTTPS Everywhere (General browsing)
Opera.. private browsing/ Private Internet Access extension for browser only (as, and when I feel the need for a VPN )
Secure DNS
Cloudflare, Quad9
Desktop VPN
Private Internet Access
Password manager
LastPass
Maintenance tools
ccleaner
Revo Pro
File and Photo backup
external device + cloud
System recovery
AOMEIBackupper/ Acronis True Image WD Edition
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
HP Pavilion all in one
AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
Notable changes
added AOMEIBackupper/ Acronis True Image WD Edition
removed Q360TS
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@harlan4096 makes a very strong point - you should have a backup solution @porkpiehat ! In my humble opinion: Everyone should have a backup solution no matter what. Manual backup is 'ehhh ok' vs a full-blown solution. I'll keep this short:

If you ever experience a backup failure after one of your manual backups doesn't contain all of the files, settings, etc, etc. that you need it will feel as though you just got hit with a ton of bricks. I got stung once before (like you a believer that the manual backups would work) and I have changed all of that up. Now you don't need to go above and beyond in the backup department like me, but I'd like to make a few recommendations to you - if I can.
  • AOMEI Backupper - Simple, Easy, Robust Features - Free Version! Have a look around here at MT and see how many folks are using this. I highly recommend this software. I went for the Premium versions myself as I could use the premium features. However, most folks can get away with the free version and have more features in the free version of this tool compared to most paid solutions out there with some exceptions to certain tools of course.
  • Macrium Reflect is another free backup software that comes highly recommended not only by myself but by others on MT. Again, don't take my word for it at all.
I say try both of these out and see which one you like better. Both are very solid and if you have questions on how to use the software we have lots of folks here on MT that can surely help you. I'd be happy to help myself! Just hit me up. Plus, there is tons of info out there about both programs. Some great user documentation too.

Hope this helps you and encourages you to re-evaluate a backup solution. Your world will be changed once you have a backup solution in place.

~Brian

porkpiehat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
@harlan4096 makes a very strong point - you should have a backup solution @porkpiehat ! In my humble opinion: Everyone should have a backup solution no matter what. Manual backup is 'ehhh ok' vs a full-blown solution. I'll keep this short:

If you ever experience a backup failure after one of your manual backups doesn't contain all of the files, settings, etc, etc. that you need it will feel as though you just got hit with a ton of bricks. I got stung once before (like you a believer that the manual backups would work) and I have changed all of that up. Now you don't need to go above and beyond in the backup department like me, but I'd like to make a few recommendations to you - if I can.
  • AOMEI Backupper - Simple, Easy, Robust Features - Free Version! Have a look around here at MT and see how many folks are using this. I highly recommend this software. I went for the Premium versions myself as I could use the premium features. However, most folks can get away with the free version and have more features in the free version of this tool compared to most paid solutions out there with some exceptions to certain tools of course.
  • Macrium Reflect is another free backup software that comes highly recommended not only by myself but by others on MT. Again, don't take my word for it at all.
I say try both of these out and see which one you like better. Both are very solid and if you have questions on how to use the software we have lots of folks here on MT that can surely help you. I'd be happy to help myself! Just hit me up. Plus, there is tons of info out there about both programs. Some great user documentation too.

Hope this helps you and encourages you to re-evaluate a backup solution. Your world will be changed once you have a backup solution in place.

~Brian
TBH, I've been interested in those for a while... just never got around to picking one, but viBoot sounds REALLY interesting

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Good backup software recommendations @Lightning_Brian . Here's another one.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@upnorth Good software that I would highly recommend too! I use Acronis True Image (paid as I like the paid features myself). I have been using Acronis True Image for quite some time now.

@porkpiehat You should give one a try. Test it out and see if you like it. If you don't move to another one. If you like one test another until you find your main steady and stick with that software.

Also, have a look at this one buddy: Unlimited Giveaway - Acronis True Image 2017 BootCD

~Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Private Internet Access got acquired by Kape technologies. I personally wouldn't recommend using it anymore.

OoO! Excellent point here @SecureKongo . I have lots of friends and co-workers jumping off PIA super fast. I can second what you said in not recommending it to anyone any more.

May I recommend a few different VPNs for ya' @porkpiehat ?
  • Windscribe - I use this VPN personally - some seriously cool features that they have that other VPNs don't necessarily have
  • ExpressVPN - from my knowledge still is a good VPN service - gets lots of rave reviews and Editor Choice Awards from many big names out there in the world of tech
Hope this helps. Good catch there and glad you brought it up @SecureKongo!

~Brian

porkpiehat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
OoO! Excellent point here @SecureKongo . I have lots of friends and co-workers jumping off PIA super fast. I can second what you said in not recommending it to anyone any more.

May I recommend a few different VPNs for ya' @porkpiehat ?
  • Windscribe - I use this VPN personally - some seriously cool features that they have that other VPNs don't necessarily have
  • ExpressVPN - from my knowledge still is a good VPN service - gets lots of rave reviews and Editor Choice Awards from many big names out there in the world of tech
Hope this helps. Good catch there and glad you brought it up @SecureKongo!

~Brian
yes, there are some big hitters in the VPN market.... maybe it's time to delve a little deeper.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.