Reimage Repair/DNS Unlocker popups remaining

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
We're not clear. Just had a popup in Steam and now they've returned to Chrome. Adwcleaner just found nothing malicious on the PC

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please include their content into your next reply.

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
Kinda nuked the system last night with multiple scans as well as reinstalling chrome and steam and I've had no problems since reinstalling stuff at 10am UK time so I should hope that it's clean now. Either way here's the FRST results.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    43 KB · Views: 3
  • FRST.txt
    28.7 KB · Views: 4

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah we're not clean, I have no idea what's setting it off since I haven't installed anything in the time I've been clean

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
It was only in the Steam browser just then. I was browsing the store and got a redirect. Instantly uninstalled and cleared the local appdata of steam and it seems to be clear now.

Just finding it very confusing and frustrating as I can't see an obvious source of infection

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
  • Press the
    WindowsKey.png
    + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
  • Find you internet adapter, usually Local Area Connection if connection is wired.
  • Right click on it and select Properties.
  • Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 and select Properties again.
  • Make sure that IP Address and DNS Server are set to automatically.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.png
Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please re-run
51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.png
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

• First of all, select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detection & Protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • In the same tab, under PUP and PUM detections make sure it is set to Treat detections as malware.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Start Scan.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the newest Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
I have bitten the bullet and reformatted. This thing is just proving too damn stubborn and I've got my important data stored elsewhere . If The infection returns with no changes to my habits is it safe to say the network is infected?

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
Yep. Just had popups on Chrome within an hour of completely reformatting and reinstalling Chrome. Can only assume it's my Chrome account or the network. Any ideas?

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Did you login into your Google account? Sometimes it is the problem, because it synchronizate and bring some unwanted settings.

thebluenose

Thread author
Verified
Feb 3, 2016
I have completely uninstalled Chrome and deleted the localappdata folder and have installed firefox instead.
I have not signed into my Google account. Do I just leave that account now and assume it as compromised?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.