App Review Security Software vs. Ransomware (Part 2)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
A

Alkajak

Thread author

Samples:
Cerber.exe VT: 8/52
Cerber2.exe VT: 15/55
Cerber3.exe VT: 18/52
CryptoFinancial.exe VT: 21/54
Locky.docm VT: 16/55
Locky2.js VT: 15/54
CryptXXX.dll 5/52

Products:
Bitdefender Internet Security 2016
Avast Free Antivirus
Zemana AntiMalware Premium
ESET Smart Security 9
Norton Security
Comodo Cloud Antivirus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Comodo AV primarily focus on their sandbox capabilities which honestly much better than rely fully much on signatures.

However it does not really mean all the time, of course balance protection still require to protect for possible payloads.

-----

ESET is indeed obvious survive the test, they follow strictly on fast response time landscape concept.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
N

Noxx

Thread author
Thanks for another test video, great to see Norton doing well a bit disappointed with ZAM and congrats to ESET.

I'm still shocked that ZAM did as well as it did against ransomware. But for ZAM not really being a traditional internet security unit, I give it credit for at least getting 6/7. Some would argue though that on-execution prevention is more valuable and ZAM tanked in that department. That's why I'd probably recommend ZAM users supplement with an anti-executable at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I wish you include Kaspersky.

Bd & Kas are neck to neck in almost all tests so will be like little comparison test against ransomware.

And also coz I use KIS 2016.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
All that matters is whether or not a security solution will protect a system after a file has been executed.

Signature detection is so popular because it removes the User from the equation; install AV, push button, scan system, quarantine... false positive ?! Heeeeeyyyyy.... I don't know... I paid for it, isn't it working ??????????????????? :D

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Nope, maybe a product switch per week. 4 Locky samples were too small of a sample to say anything. Doing more new ransomware with the same products for now.
Yeah, a product switch per week is good, like you can switch CCAV & Zemana as AutoSandbox handles almost everything & Zemana is kinda supplementary to your primary security software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.